GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pohjolas Daughter

We finally received a bit of need rain over the past day or so.  Need more of it though!  Hit 80's - 90 also recently (really high for this time of year).  It did a number on a bunch of my daffodils.  :'(  I was looking forward to enjoying them for awhile longer.

Question:  has anyone ever had issues with thrips before?  I tried spraying my rosemary plant several times (wintered indoors) and they still took it out!  Have some on my thyme plant too (which is now outside).  Thinking of trying neem oil next.

@DavidW I trust that this wasn't you?  "Black bear gets too close to man in his garden in North Carolina"

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-65295704

PD

DavidW

Ha!  Funny enough just yesterday I was thinking that bears were the only animal not to tromp through my backyard.  My pet dog always has new smells to experience, which is good since he can no longer go on those long morning walks with me.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 17, 2023, 06:17:50 AMHa!  Funny enough just yesterday I was thinking that bears were the only animal not to tromp through my backyard.  My pet dog always has new smells to experience, which is good since he can no longer go on those long morning walks with me.
The dangers of leaving bird feeders out year round.  I read somewhere (reliable source) that bears can remember food sources from the past and may keep coming around (even if it is no longer there) for up to four years.  :o

A relative of mine moved their bird feeders due to bear and squirrel problems and thought that they had outwitted both; the now-grown-up bear can still reach them though.  I saw video footage of the bear reaching up and swatting at and grabbing them--knocking the food out.  :(  They had been enjoying watching the birds feed at them from their deck.

PD

Franco_Manitobain

Got my tomatoes and herbs planted.

Some Romas, a Manitoba, a Beefsteak and Tiny Tims and Tipsy Toms for tomatoes.

For herbs:

Two types of basil (sweet and Genovese)
Two types of thyme (silver and golden lemon)
Sage
Mint (Spearmint)
Onion Chives

Irons

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on June 08, 2023, 07:31:21 AMGot my tomatoes and herbs planted.

Some Romas, a Manitoba, a Beefsteak and Tiny Tims and Tipsy Toms for tomatoes.

For herbs:

Two types of basil (sweet and Genovese)
Two types of thyme (silver and golden lemon)
Sage
Mint (Spearmint)
Onion Chives

All my tomato plants in the ground although weather not ideal. Blight resistant Crimson Crush for the main crop with Tigerella, a gold which don't have name at hand, Couer De Boeuf and one I have not grown previously Costoluto Fiorentino.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

#525
How do you stop basil going to seed?

How do you stop thyme turning woody and ugly after a couple of years?

I've grow mint in large containers now, in a bit which noboddy looks at with the washing line and shed,  it's too invasive and ugly for he ground.

I've given up on chives in my soil. Aliums live for about two years and then like old soldiers, they fade away.

I found a wonderful sage recently, very highly recommended -- Salvia officinalis 'Berggarten"

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on June 08, 2023, 07:31:21 AMGot my tomatoes and herbs planted.

Some Romas, a Manitoba, a Beefsteak and Tiny Tims and Tipsy Toms for tomatoes.

For herbs:

Two types of basil (sweet and Genovese)
Two types of thyme (silver and golden lemon)
Sage
Mint (Spearmint)
Onion Chives

Also, planted marigolds in between my tomatoes to help keep the pests out. I found this has worked well in this regard in the past. Bonus for me, it was my father's favourite flower, so there is a nostalgia component to it. 🙂

Irons

#527
A new toy that I am finding more then useful around both garden and allotment. Tying tomato plants to canes for example is tiresome, especially young plants. With this tool job completed in a second. How it works is beyond clever. Half close and the top arm grabs a length of fresh tape, fully close and tape is secured around both plant and support.
If interested shop around! Big variation in purchase price.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2023, 01:02:06 AMA new toy that I am finding more then useful around both garden and allotment. Tying tomato plants to canes for example is tiresome, especially young plants. With this tool job completed in a second. How it works is beyond clever. Half close and the top arm grabs a length of fresh tape, fully close and tape is secured around both plant and support.
If interested shop around! Big variation in purchase price.

Oh, cool.  May I ask, does your model use staples of some sort?  Or how does it stay tied?  I saw some mixed reviews and as you said, the price is all over the place.  How long/much have you been using yours for and any fiddly bits that you can make us aware of?

PD

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 25, 2023, 03:09:13 AMOh, cool.  May I ask, does your model use staples of some sort?  Or how does it stay tied?  I saw some mixed reviews and as you said, the price is all over the place.  How long/much have you been using yours for and any fiddly bits that you can make us aware of?

PD

Staples, which are tiny. My main reason for purchase is kneeling not an option making tying knots close to ground a chore. I have learnt to ease the tape off so not making the tape too tight allowing room for stem thickness growth. The drawback far as I can see although sturdily built an unwieldly shape makes it vulnerable to breakage. All my greenhouse toms and peppers are secured by this method and started using it with the 30 odd toms at the allotment without mishap. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Sweet peppers add such interest to a salad. They are slow growers and what with poor light levels and cool spring in the UK it is frustrating that plants are not really producing a decent crop until September. I decided in an attempt to get around this by investing in grow lights. Instead of weak leggy seedlings in February, I have twenty-odd sweet peppers and three aubergine plants bursting with vigour. So much so, I'm beginning to worry that plants will get too big to handle before summer finally arrives.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 08, 2024, 07:47:04 AMSweet peppers add such interest to a salad. They are slow growers and what with poor light levels and cool spring in the UK it is frustrating that plants are not really producing a decent crop until September. I decided in an attempt to get around this by investing in grow lights. Instead of weak leggy seedlings in February, I have twenty-odd sweet peppers and three aubergine plants bursting with vigour. So much so, I'm beginning to worry that plants will get too big to handle before summer finally arrives.
They look great!

PD

Szykneij

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2023, 01:02:06 AMA new toy that I am finding more then useful around both garden and allotment. Tying tomato plants to canes for example is tiresome, especially young plants. With this tool job completed in a second. How it works is beyond clever. Half close and the top arm grabs a length of fresh tape, fully close and tape is secured around both plant and support.
If interested shop around! Big variation in purchase price.


That looks like an awesome tool! Thanks for posting it. I'll definitely look into buying one, and my knees will be grateful for it.

Still way too cold around here for any gardening or seed starting activities, but my pile of mail-order seed and flower catalogs is steadily growing on my desk.

I did just order some bareroot plants that I was enticed to buy from a company email. In the spring, I'll be receiving some Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus), Meadowsweet (Spiraea alba), Sweet Fern, and Poke Milkweed. These are all native plants to my area and favorites of mine, except for the Poke Milkweed. It's a type of milkweed I don't have and looked like an interesting addition.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Irons

Quote from: Szykneij on February 08, 2024, 08:09:04 AMThat looks like an awesome tool! Thanks for posting it. I'll definitely look into buying one, and my knees will be grateful for it.

Still way too cold around here for any gardening or seed starting activities, but my pile of mail-order seed and flower catalogs is steadily growing on my desk.

I did just order some bareroot plants that I was enticed to buy from a company email. In the spring, I'll be receiving some Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus), Meadowsweet (Spiraea alba), Sweet Fern, and Poke Milkweed. These are all native plants to my area and favorites of mine, except for the Poke Milkweed. It's a type of milkweed I don't have and looked like an interesting addition.

Better quality product then expected. In case you are interested -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125099596507?var=426731078243
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Szykneij

Quote from: Irons on February 09, 2024, 01:08:31 AMBetter quality product then expected. In case you are interested -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125099596507?var=426731078243

That looks like a nice unit. I have multiple grow lights in my cellar - not as nice as that one, but less expensive.

(I did order the staking tool from Amazon.)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige