GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2024, 12:51:18 PMYes, but they worked all day and are still not done.
How toasty did it get while they were working outside?  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2024, 01:15:11 PMHow toasty did it get while they were working outside?  :(

PD

In the 90s with high humidity.  I would hate to have a job where I worked outside in the Deep South.

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2024, 09:52:22 AMI'm having a lot of work done to my yards today.  I have about 50 bushes, all finally receiving the pruning they require.  I had 10 trees, but it was down to 9 after needing a diseased one removed last summer.  I've decided to plant a new one so I'll be back at 10!  I'm also having gerbera daisies planted... I used to have them but they died off.  Finally for the expensive part... fresh pine straw for the flower beds.

Which type of tree are you planting?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DavidW

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2024, 11:33:18 PMWhich type of tree are you planting?

A field maple.  Most of my trees are field maples.

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on July 11, 2024, 06:21:31 AMA field maple.  Most of my trees are field maples.

Thanks. Native of the UK too. The only maple to be so - I looked it up.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on July 11, 2024, 07:09:04 AMThanks. Native of the UK too. The only maple to be so - I looked it up.

I thought of you today because I passed an enormous banana leaf in someone's garden between Norbiton and New Maldon.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on July 11, 2024, 09:53:21 AMI thought of you today because I passed an enormous banana leaf in someone's garden between Norbiton and New Maldon.

They do get big. I cannot locate my original post but the plant has grown and multiplied since then.

ultralinear

Spent yesterday afternoon trimming a "wedding cake" Viburnum - so called because it grows circular and flattish on top, and in May is covered with white blossom:

To give an idea of scale, that hedge trimmer is 11 feet long.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on Today at 01:29:29 AMSpent yesterday afternoon trimming a "wedding cake" Viburnum - so called because it grows circular and flattish on top, and in May is covered with white blossom:

To give an idea of scale, that hedge trimmer is 11 feet long.
I would think that it would be hard/awkward to use a tool which is that long?

What a pretty plant!

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=wedding+cake+viburnum&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nature-and-garden.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F4%2F2022%2F02%2Fviburnum-mariesii.jpg

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Here are the maples I was talking about.  Full grown on the smaller pic and the new on the larger pic.  Dog for scale! :laugh:

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 05:29:11 AMHere are the maples I was talking about.  Full grown on the smaller pic and the new on the larger pic.  Dog for scale! :laugh:

Impressive garden.

ultralinear

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 04:21:25 AMI would think that it would be hard/awkward to use a tool which is that long?

Indeed so.  The weight of the cutting head (5lb) puts the balance at the wrong end from where you have to hold it, down by the motor, even on the standard (8ft) tool.  Insert a 3ft extension and you're waving around a kind of cantilever with all the strain going down through your shoulders and abdominal muscles.  It's particularly unwieldy when working at height, not least because there are low-slung power cables overhead, so one slip and it's Goodnight Vienna. ::)

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 04:21:25 AMWhat a pretty plant!

Oh it's pretty when in flower right enough.  It also grows about 3ft a year - I suppose if I let it go it would stop eventually - but who knows how big it would be by then?  :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on Today at 06:34:22 AMIndeed so.  The weight of the cutting head (5lb) puts the balance at the wrong end from where you have to hold it, down by the motor, even on the standard (8ft) tool.  Insert a 3ft extension and you're waving around a kind of cantilever with all the strain going down through your shoulders and abdominal muscles.  It's particularly unwieldy when working at height, not least because there are low-slung power cables overhead, so one slip and it's Goodnight Vienna. ::)

Oh it's pretty when in flower right enough.  It also grows about 3ft a year - I suppose if I let it go it would stop eventually - but who knows how big it would be by then?  :o
I have a very nice one, but it's really meant for someone 6+ ft!  My arms ache for several days after using it.  :-[

Re:  cables.  I once had a smallish dump truck deliver some compost to my yard.  It ended up knocking off one of the cables--right above where I was standing.  Not knowing what it was for, I dove for the ground to avoid getting hit by it.  Luckily, it was just my t.v. cable!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: ultralinear on Today at 06:34:22 AMI suppose if I let it go it would stop eventually

A botanist once said to me that this isn't true. Apparently plants grow every year of their lives. If you think about it, it's not paradoxical really.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ultralinear

Quote from: Mandryka on Today at 08:04:40 AMA botanist once said to me that this isn't true. Apparently plants grow every year of their lives. If you think about it, it's not paradoxical really.

I dunno.  I have some trees that seem to have reached their maximum height - there's one at the left of my photo (above), a purple acer that I planted at least 20 years ago and hasn't really got any bigger since.  Leaves come and go every year, and their aspect changes as the branches get thicker - where once they were shrouded in foliage, now it's in layers with spaces between - but overall height & spread doesn't seem to change.

OTOH I have another acer that was sold to me as "forming a neat shrub 8 feet high maximum" and is already a spreading tree more than twice that and no sign of stopping - not to mention a "dwarf" rhododendron up to 12 feet so far and still going - so you may be right.  ;D