GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Am having a problem with too many chipmunks digging here and there; the worst problem (so far anyway) is that he/she/they recently started tossing soil out of one of my potted tomato plants in their digging endeavors!  A lot of my veggies are in pots and am trying to figure out the best way to deal with this.  I doubt that they will try and eat the various peppers that I have, and have never seen them try and eat my eggplants; however, they have eaten my tomatoes (just as they are starting to ripen).  Thoughts here?

One idea that I had...a couple actually:  try creating my own pepper/garlic spray (maybe see if I can find some sort of horticultural oil) to spray on the plant...and the top edge of the pot?  2) try and cut some metal fencing (something like what is used for chickens??) and lay it around on top of the container.

Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions here would be appreciated!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 08, 2020, 05:03:02 AM
Am having a problem with too many chipmunks digging here and there; the worst problem (so far anyway) is that he/she/they recently started tossing soil out of one of my potted tomato plants in their digging endeavors!  A lot of my veggies are in pots and am trying to figure out the best way to deal with this.  I doubt that they will try and eat the various peppers that I have, and have never seen them try and eat my eggplants; however, they have eaten my tomatoes (just as they are starting to ripen).  Thoughts here?

One idea that I had...a couple actually:  try creating my own pepper/garlic spray (maybe see if I can find some sort of horticultural oil) to spray on the plant...and the top edge of the pot?  2) try and cut some metal fencing (something like what is used for chickens??) and lay it around on top of the container.

Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions here would be appreciated!

Best,

PD

I have the same problem here in the UK with grey squirrels (aka. tree rats). They are destructive vermin and dig up bulbs and plants in my pots. The only effective remedy I have found is to cover the pots with plastic netting and cut holes in it as the bulbs sprout. For plants a layer of small stones usually works. One year we had a kestrel take up residence in a nearby tree and that kept the squirrels, pigeons and seagulls away; unfortunately it didn't stay long.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on June 08, 2020, 05:12:16 AM
I have the same problem here in the UK with grey squirrels (aka. tree rats). They are destructive vermin and dig up bulbs and plants in my pots. The only effective remedy I have found is to cover the pots with plastic netting and cut holes in it as the bulbs sprout. For plants a layer of small stones usually works. One year we had a kestrel take up residence in a nearby tree and that kept the squirrels, pigeons and seagulls away; unfortunately it didn't stay long.
I have a neighbor who has done something like that (with plastic netting) which he's put over the ground where he has planted bulbs.  The tomato plants were already a good size when I purchased them but might give this a go in the future.  The part 'b' of the problem which I'll have to deal with a bit later on in time:  how to keep them from climbing up the plants and eating the tomatoes?!  I do have a few tomatoes in the ground with I've netting around the bed (may have to add some bird netting over the top of those plants.  I have seen the chippies climb up metal fencing to get inside the bed and then climb up the tomato plants to chew on the fruit.   :(  And yes, grey squirrels are also plentiful this year too!  I miss my indoor/outdoor kitty for numerous reasons including the fact that he was an excellent mouser/hunter (thankfully, not so re the birds).  There is a red-tailed hawk family nearby....hoping that they come hunting in my yard!  Also, for better or worse, I have a lot of perennials in my yard and shrubs which allows for lots of hiding places for critters.

I've also added some floating row cover (using metal rods to make hoops to support it) to make small tunnels to protect some veggies (like carrots, beets, turnips and radishes) from diggers; this also helps to protect them from insects like cabbage moths too.  Not the most attractive thing to look at in a small garden, but it helps!

In any event, thank you for your suggestions!   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 08, 2020, 05:36:17 AM
I have a neighbor who has done something like that (with plastic netting) which he's put over the ground where he has planted bulbs.  The tomato plants were already a good size when I purchased them but might give this a go in the future.  The part 'b' of the problem which I'll have to deal with a bit later on in time:  how to keep them from climbing up the plants and eating the tomatoes?!  I do have a few tomatoes in the ground with I've netting around the bed (may have to add some bird netting over the top of those plants.  I have seen the chippies climb up metal fencing to get inside the bed and then climb up the tomato plants to chew on the fruit.   :(  And yes, grey squirrels are also plentiful this year too!  I miss my indoor/outdoor kitty for numerous reasons including the fact that he was an excellent mouser/hunter (thankfully, not so re the birds).  There is a red-tailed hawk family nearby....hoping that they come hunting in my yard!  Also, for better or worse, I have a lot of perennials in my yard and shrubs which allows for lots of hiding places for critters.

I've also added some floating row cover (using metal rods to make hoops to support it) to make small tunnels to protect some veggies (like carrots, beets, turnips and radishes) from diggers; this also helps to protect them from insects like cabbage moths too.  Not the most attractive thing to look at in a small garden, but it helps!

In any event, thank you for your suggestions!   :)

Best wishes,

PD

I did grow tomato plants a couple of times and didn't have any problems with the fruit being eaten but then fortunately I don't have chipmunks. Last year I successfully grew chilli peppers and with them insects of some kind were the problem; I had to resort to spraying them.

Insecticides, slug pellets, plastic netting etc are not very 'green' but not using them isn't an option for me. Even with the use of slug pellets I can't grow tulips or dahlias, they get massacred by slugs and snails.

The squirrel problem was made worse by neighbours feeding them by throwing bread and also seed on to the communal lawn - they thought the little darlings were cute. This inevitably led to brown rats appearing. Our next door neighbours were horrified when I put down traps - 'Can't we just catch them and let them loose in the country'. They were not to be reasoned with and their 'humane traps' were useless. Eventually, I found a brand of rat poison that actually works and put it down out of their sight. However, the rats now reappear each spring. I don't like using poison because it can be a danger to other (beneficial) wildlife and also roaming pets. I have to put it where the rats can find it but not other animals.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on June 08, 2020, 06:02:52 AM
I did grow tomato plants a couple of times and didn't have any problems with the fruit being eaten but then fortunately I don't have chipmunks. Last year I successfully grew chilli peppers and with them insects of some kind were the problem; I had to resort to spraying them.

Insecticides, slug pellets, plastic netting etc are not very 'green' but not using them isn't an option for me. Even with the use of slug pellets I can't grow tulips or dahlias, they get massacred by slugs and snails.

The squirrel problem was made worse by neighbours feeding them by throwing bread and also seed on to the communal lawn - they thought the little darlings were cute. This inevitably led to brown rats appearing. Our next door neighbours were horrified when I put down traps - 'Can't we just catch them and let them loose in the country'. They were not to be reasoned with and their 'humane traps' were useless. Eventually, I found a brand of rat poison that actually works and put it down out of their sight. However, the rats now reappear each spring. I don't like using poison because it can be a danger to other (beneficial) wildlife and also roaming pets. I have to put it where the rats can find it but not other animals.
Hi Biffo,

I feel for you with your slug problems!  I only run across them occasionally in my garden....if I'm recalling correctly, on the undersides of collard greens...think that it was a damp summer?  Last summer, I tried growing some things like Swiss chard and some small heads of lettuces in pots covered with a very lightweight floating row cover which worked pretty well--though not attractive I must admit.  Have you tried any organic solutions?  If so, how did they work?

Feeding squirrels:  augh!  My neighbors have bird feeders up but I don't ever recall seeing them cleaning up underneath them.  Lots of fat and happy squirrels around here.  And, as you pointed out, you don't just feed one animal when you start tossing food out to them, or aren't careful with your composting, etc.  Mice and rats and squirrels can also do a lot of damage if they manage to get inside of a house too (you might, if you haven't already mentioned these things to them....plus mice help to spread Lyme disease--do you have that in the UK?).

Transporting wildlife (e.g., relocating it) is illegal in many areas and can cause problems for both the wildlife and the unknowing recipients at the other end.

Thankful (for a number of reasons) that I have some hawks around here to help keep an ecological balance.  :)

Best wishes...and off soon to get weeding,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 10, 2020, 04:58:51 AM
Hi Biffo,

I feel for you with your slug problems!  I only run across them occasionally in my garden....if I'm recalling correctly, on the undersides of collard greens...think that it was a damp summer?  Last summer, I tried growing some things like Swiss chard and some small heads of lettuces in pots covered with a very lightweight floating row cover which worked pretty well--though not attractive I must admit.  Have you tried any organic solutions?  If so, how did they work?

Feeding squirrels:  augh!  My neighbors have bird feeders up but I don't ever recall seeing them cleaning up underneath them.  Lots of fat and happy squirrels around here.  And, as you pointed out, you don't just feed one animal when you start tossing food out to them, or aren't careful with your composting, etc.  Mice and rats and squirrels can also do a lot of damage if they manage to get inside of a house too (you might, if you haven't already mentioned these things to them....plus mice help to spread Lyme disease--do you have that in the UK?).

Transporting wildlife (e.g., relocating it) is illegal in many areas and can cause problems for both the wildlife and the unknowing recipients at the other end.

Thankful (for a number of reasons) that I have some hawks around here to help keep an ecological balance.  :)

Best wishes...and off soon to get weeding,

PD

Thanks for your comments.

Slugs and snails are a perennial problem. I have tried slug pubs; these supposedly work on the principle that slugs like beer. You can buy ready made ones or just use a small dish or bowl - the slugs crawl in and then can't get out. I have had modest success and they don't work with snails. I have to rely on a combination of slug pellets and keeping an eye out for them. As I said before slug pellets are frowned upon because of the potential damage to birds and other wildlife.

Apart from seagulls I generally welcome birds but not to the point of feeding them. We have regular visits from a magpie and also robins. Our new neighbours have bird-feeders and don't seem to have twigged yet that all the contents get eaten by squirrels rather than birds. Now that half-wits have stopped throwing bread on to the communal lawn there are fewer squirrels around but they are still a nuisance.

Poison seems to have dealt with the rats but we are still wary of leaving the patio doors open unattended.

We have Lyme disease locally in the New Forest and it is mostly transmitted by tics on deer. Walking in long grass isn't a good idea but we don't visit the forest very often.

We used to have foxes passing through the garden but they seemed to have moved on. They didn't cause any problems but some people don't like them. They occasionally attacked the squirrels but they were usually too agile to be caught and the foxes were mainly nocturnal.

Pohjolas Daughter

How are things doing in your garden so far folks?  The weather has been all over this summer:  hot cold, hot cold, cold moderate now heading back up to the 90's later on this week.  Hard on plants but they're hanging in there.

Speaking of hanging in there, I am trying a bush cucumber variety:  one in a hanging basket and another in a pretty large clay pot with a three-hoop cage sunk into the pot.  First time trying bush cucumbers.  Has anyone tried these before?  If so, have you tried them in a pot or hanging basket?  And how were your results?

Think that I may have a recently fledged red-tail hawk hanging out in my backyard; can't see it, but I hear some sounds that I think are ones that could come from a RTH.  Hope that he/she sticks around.

Eggplants have started flowering (a few days ago):  such pretty purple/lavendeer blooms!  Tomatoes are starting to flower.  One, which I was told was a popular British dwarf variety called 'Cyril's Choice' already has 6 small tomatoes on it!  And a few of my pepper plants are showing baby bell peppers.  I did have an issue with aphids and also with (I believe) some flea beetles, but they seem to have sorted themselves out on their own.  If not, I have some neem oil concentrate and a couple of other organic things that I can use.  Squash plants are also blooming and herbs are doing well, so knock-on-wood, all is well for the moment!  Did catch a few striped cucumber beetles on potatoes, or elsewhere but quickly picked those off and did the beetle stomp.

The larger of my rose bushes put out a great show this year, so I'm considering myself quite lucky and grateful.

The harder parts coming ahead:  keeping up with the weeding and deadheading, etc., with increasing temps.  The areas where one can bring yard waste to are opening up in my town though you do have to make an appointment ahead of time.  Will be interesting to see how it works:  they're asking lots of questions as to what type and how much yard waste you have; will you need to be able to make multiple visits; if so, how far away are you, etc.

Take care all and enjoy the fresh air!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 15, 2020, 04:41:31 AM
How are things doing in your garden so far folks?  The weather has been all over this summer:  hot cold, hot cold, cold moderate now heading back up to the 90's later on this week.  Hard on plants but they're hanging in there.

Speaking of hanging in there, I am trying a bush cucumber variety:  one in a hanging basket and another in a pretty large clay pot with a three-hoop cage sunk into the pot.  First time trying bush cucumbers.  Has anyone tried these before?  If so, have you tried them in a pot or hanging basket?  And how were your results?

Think that I may have a recently fledged red-tail hawk hanging out in my backyard; can't see it, but I hear some sounds that I think are ones that could come from a RTH.  Hope that he/she sticks around.

Eggplants have started flowering (a few days ago):  such pretty purple/lavendeer blooms!  Tomatoes are starting to flower.  One, which I was told was a popular British dwarf variety called 'Cyril's Choice' already has 6 small tomatoes on it!  And a few of my pepper plants are showing baby bell peppers.  I did have an issue with aphids and also with (I believe) some flea beetles, but they seem to have sorted themselves out on their own.  If not, I have some neem oil concentrate and a couple of other organic things that I can use.  Squash plants are also blooming and herbs are doing well, so knock-on-wood, all is well for the moment!  Did catch a few striped cucumber beetles on potatoes, or elsewhere but quickly picked those off and did the beetle stomp.

The larger of my rose bushes put out a great show this year, so I'm considering myself quite lucky and grateful.

The harder parts coming ahead:  keeping up with the weeding and deadheading, etc., with increasing temps.  The areas where one can bring yard waste to are opening up in my town though you do have to make an appointment ahead of time.  Will be interesting to see how it works:  they're asking lots of questions as to what type and how much yard waste you have; will you need to be able to make multiple visits; if so, how far away are you, etc.

Take care all and enjoy the fresh air!

Best,

PD

Hi PD

You mention eggplants, I am growing them for the first time, five plants in my greenhouse. Possibly not suited to our UK climate but they seem happy and you are right, the flowers are nice. I love them as an accompaniment to a hot curry.

Today at allotment planting 45 leeks. Allium leaf miner has ruined my crop for the last two years so this year invested in insect mesh at a cool £30, expensive leeks! But guaranteed for ten years so should see me out.

Toms growing well. 15 "Crimson Crush" which I grow every year as blight resistant and nice flavour. Also a French beefsteak  variety, that I extract seeds from the previous year's crop. Six plants, along with a couple of "cherry" type.

Like yours, our weather all over the place. During an unusually hot spell early last week my brassicas were literally infested overnight. I had a fit! Sprayed the blighters and I think the plants are coming back but they were hit hard.

Only one cucumber plant in the greenhouse which is about four times bigger then two at the allotment protected by a discarded shower door. No action yet from either far as crops are concerned. Do not know of the bush type you mention.

Picked strawberries today, and tomorrow will be harvesting blackcurrants which is our favourite.

You mention Neem oil P. I have just purchased some. Does it work and what crops do you use it on? I mentioned it to my allotment friends and they have no idea what I'm talking about! Neem what!

Enjoy your garden.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 15, 2020, 08:26:53 AM
Hi PD

You mention eggplants, I am growing them for the first time, five plants in my greenhouse. Possibly not suited to our UK climate but they seem happy and you are right, the flowers are nice. I love them as an accompaniment to a hot curry.

Today at allotment planting 45 leeks. Allium leaf miner has ruined my crop for the last two years so this year invested in insect mesh at a cool £30, expensive leeks! But guaranteed for ten years so should see me out.

Toms growing well. 15 "Crimson Crush" which I grow every year as blight resistant and nice flavour. Also a French beefsteak  variety, that I extract seeds from the previous year's crop. Six plants, along with a couple of "cherry" type.

Like yours, our weather all over the place. During an unusually hot spell early last week my brassicas were literally infested overnight. I had a fit! Sprayed the blighters and I think the plants are coming back but they were hit hard.

Only one cucumber plant in the greenhouse which is about four times bigger then two at the allotment protected by a discarded shower door. No action yet from either far as crops are concerned. Do not know of the bush type you mention.

Picked strawberries today, and tomorrow will be harvesting blackcurrants which is our favourite.

You mention Neem oil P. I have just purchased some. Does it work and what crops do you use it on? I mentioned it to my allotment friends and they have no idea what I'm talking about! Neem what!

Enjoy your garden.
Hi Irons!

Great stuff neem oil!  My understanding is that it is derived from the seed of neem trees (found in Africa I believe).  I recently purchased some (concentrate vs. ready spray version) of Bonide's.  Here's a link to it.  If you click on the label, you will see some of the things that it helps to control plus application directions (There should be something on your label on the bottle, non?).  https://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/024/neem-oil-conc  You do have to read the directions carefully.  The nice thing about neem is that it helps deal with a variety of issues (as in besides insects).

I think that I have to get something different (will check supplies first) to deal with some striped cucumber beetles that I've found on a few plants (have so far just inspected and tried to remove them and then squish).

Hope that your eggplants pollinate well in your greenhouse (do you open things up to allow pollinators inside?).

Yes, gardening is certainly an investment...particularly organic!  Things like your insect cloth and my floating row cover last for years, can be re-used and I think are fairly cost-effective in the end.

Trying to envisage what your shower door/cucumber setup looks like?  :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 15, 2020, 01:51:20 PM
Hi Irons!

Great stuff neem oil!  My understanding is that it is derived from the seed of neem trees (found in Africa I believe).  I recently purchased some (concentrate vs. ready spray version) of Bonide's.  Here's a link to it.  If you click on the label, you will see some of the things that it helps to control plus application directions (There should be something on your label on the bottle, non?).  https://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/024/neem-oil-conc  You do have to read the directions carefully.  The nice thing about neem is that it helps deal with a variety of issues (as in besides insects).

I think that I have to get something different (will check supplies first) to deal with some striped cucumber beetles that I've found on a few plants (have so far just inspected and tried to remove them and then squish).

Hope that your eggplants pollinate well in your greenhouse (do you open things up to allow pollinators inside?).

Yes, gardening is certainly an investment...particularly organic!  Things like your insect cloth and my floating row cover last for years, can be re-used and I think are fairly cost-effective in the end.

Trying to envisage what your shower door/cucumber setup looks like?  :)

Best wishes,

PD

Thanks for link, P. There are some mixed messages. Neem oil is from the Azadirachta tree - thankfully writing, not saying it! My purchase was from G.E.T based in Canada, no instructions on label for type of crops to use it on, but clearly states do not use in the 5 weeks before harvest. One of the allotment videos on YT discusses the product saying be careful with dosage as excess can burn the leaves. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 15, 2020, 11:44:51 PM
Thanks for link, P. There are some mixed messages. Neem oil is from the Azadirachta tree - thankfully writing, not saying it! My purchase was from G.E.T based in Canada, no instructions on label for type of crops to use it on, but clearly states do not use in the 5 weeks before harvest. One of the allotment videos on YT discusses the product saying be careful with dosage as excess can burn the leaves.
Hi Irons.

Interesting!  I had never heard that before about the 5 weeks.  I just did a quick look online and saw one site that sells it and says that it could cause a bad taste if used within 5 weeks before harvest.  Hadn't heard that before now.  I should think, though, that if you used it on something that hadn't yet developed fruit or veg or avoided spraying it directly on fruit or veg (if possible) that that wouldn't be an issue?  What do you think?  Perhaps it's more noticeable re fruit? 

Also, of course one should be careful mixing things.  And being careful re what time of day one is spraying too.  They do also have further warnings and suggestions there (as you probably read).

I don't (currently anyway) have any strawberry or other fruit in my garden (except tomatoes...as far as I can think of botanically).

Must admit, I don't do much spraying.  Last year, I did use this on some plants with good results:  https://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l252.pdf

I suspect that I'll be using Capt. Jack's soon:  this morning, whilst watering, I noticed a few more striped cucumber beetles on my cukes!  I physically removed them (missed one which flew away) and squished.  I have one of my cucumber plants near my peppers which are also close to my potatoes and summer squash and zucchini...all things which they love if my memory is serving me properly.   :(

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 16, 2020, 04:45:52 AM
Hi Irons.

Interesting!  I had never heard that before about the 5 weeks.  I just did a quick look online and saw one site that sells it and says that it could cause a bad taste if used within 5 weeks before harvest.  Hadn't heard that before now.  I should think, though, that if you used it on something that hadn't yet developed fruit or veg or avoided spraying it directly on fruit or veg (if possible) that that wouldn't be an issue?  What do you think?  Perhaps it's more noticeable re fruit? 

Also, of course one should be careful mixing things.  And being careful re what time of day one is spraying too.  They do also have further warnings and suggestions there (as you probably read).

I don't (currently anyway) have any strawberry or other fruit in my garden (except tomatoes...as far as I can think of botanically).

Must admit, I don't do much spraying.  Last year, I did use this on some plants with good results:  https://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l252.pdf

I suspect that I'll be using Capt. Jack's soon:  this morning, whilst watering, I noticed a few more striped cucumber beetles on my cukes!  I physically removed them (missed one which flew away) and squished.  I have one of my cucumber plants near my peppers which are also close to my potatoes and summer squash and zucchini...all things which they love if my memory is serving me properly.   :(

Best,

PD

If you do not like using chemicals P and many gardeners do not, a spray of water mixed with washing up liquid is effective.

Took a pic this morning of a shower door with a new role. For some strange reason refuses to stay upright!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 16, 2020, 10:11:07 AM
If you do not like using chemicals P and many gardeners do not, a spray of water mixed with washing up liquid is effective.

Took a pic this morning of a shower door with a new role. For some strange reason refuses to stay upright!
Wow, Irons!  I'm so impressed by your gardening skills!  Seriously!  Is the role of your former shower door to provide additional heat to the plants inside?  A bit hard to tell from the photo what you've planted and what your overall setup is.  In any event, good for you for finding ways to recycle!   :)

I've tried using dishwashing soap (the foam) on plants before to get rid of pests, but didn't have much luck with that.  It was years ago...I remember making up some suddsie water and applying it to some potted plants.  As I recall, it didn't help much.   :(  I'm o.k. with spraying things but sometimes don't because timing is hard (either seriously early or late to avoid pollinators and possible damage from sunlight)....plus if it's a large area, it can get rather expensive.  Are many of your fellow allotment holders good about spraying and/or insect control?  It's hard if there is a lot of veggies and fruit in any area and you're the only one taking pest control seriously.  I suspect that most of my neighbors (those who have a veg garden and also those with a lot of perennials, etc.) don't do much in terms of pest control.  Then again, from what I recall, both pests and various airborne diseases can travel quite a ways, so it takes a lot of people being vigilant!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 16, 2020, 04:25:19 PM
Wow, Irons!  I'm so impressed by your gardening skills!  Seriously!  Is the role of your former shower door to provide additional heat to the plants inside?  A bit hard to tell from the photo what you've planted and what your overall setup is.  In any event, good for you for finding ways to recycle!   :)

I've tried using dishwashing soap (the foam) on plants before to get rid of pests, but didn't have much luck with that.  It was years ago...I remember making up some suddsie water and applying it to some potted plants.  As I recall, it didn't help much.   :(  I'm o.k. with spraying things but sometimes don't because timing is hard (either seriously early or late to avoid pollinators and possible damage from sunlight)....plus if it's a large area, it can get rather expensive.  Are many of your fellow allotment holders good about spraying and/or insect control?  It's hard if there is a lot of veggies and fruit in any area and you're the only one taking pest control seriously.  I suspect that most of my neighbors (those who have a veg garden and also those with a lot of perennials, etc.) don't do much in terms of pest control.  Then again, from what I recall, both pests and various airborne diseases can travel quite a ways, so it takes a lot of people being vigilant!

PD

Thanks for info, P. I have not tried soapy spray myself. I often hear it said that insect invaders and slugs attack stressed plants rather then healthy ones. Doesn't make sense to me as I would rather eat a healthy crisp lettuce then one on it's last legs! But then again I'm not a slug. :)

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on June 17, 2020, 01:11:55 AM
Thanks for info, P. I have not tried soapy spray myself. I often hear it said that insect invaders and slugs attack stressed plants rather then healthy ones. Doesn't make sense to me as I would rather eat a healthy crisp lettuce then one on it's last legs! But then again I'm not a slug. :)

Doesn't make sense to me either and doesn't fit with my experience. Slugs will attack plants as soon as they have shooted. Also, they are fussy. I have given up trying to grow tulips and dahlias as they are invariably destroyed by slugs, often over one night. For some reason they leave daffodils alone.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Biffo on June 17, 2020, 01:16:12 AM
Doesn't make sense to me either and doesn't fit with my experience. Slugs will attack plants as soon as they have shooted. Also, they are fussy. I have given up trying to grow tulips and dahlias as they are invariably destroyed by slugs, often over one night. For some reason they leave daffodils alone.

Yes, we have lots of snails. Lupins have all been eaten but native flowers such as poppies, daffodils, violets, snowdrops, bluebells, foxgloves and a few other things do just fine, so our garden is now full of those.

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on June 17, 2020, 01:16:12 AM

Hostas provide a good meal for slugs. I have three in my garden, two are usually covered in holes by July and looking sad and the third they leave well alone. I have no idea why. I stocked up with slug pellets last year ahead of the proposed ban which although temporally reprieved outlets have not restocked.

Mandryka

Quote from: Irons on June 17, 2020, 08:09:30 AM
Hostas provide a good meal for slugs. I have three in my garden, two are usually covered in holes by July and looking sad and the third they leave well alone. I have no idea why. I stocked up with slug pellets last year ahead of the proposed ban which although temporally reprieved outlets have not restocked.

One old gardener's trick is to sow some lettuce near the hostas, the theory is that the slugs will eat the lettuce instead of the hostas. Another idea is to grow them in containers so they're off the ground. They can look really spectacular in a big container.

A third idea is not to grow the evil things at all.

There is a variety of hosta which is slug resistant, it has crinkly leaves, I can't remember the name. As you can see, I'm not keen on hostas because of the horrid flowers - if you pull them off they just come back again!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

When I used to grow salad I used slug pellets, and they worked.

Anyway, one beautiful summer's day, I had a garden party, it was full of stylish people making sparking conversation, sipping Champagne and crying "oh how beautiful!" as they wondered round.

Then suddenly, at the back of the garden, near the pond, I heard a woman's scream, very loud and very scared. I rushed over fearing the worst.

She was pointing with a terrified look at the pond, on the surface  three dead frogs were calmly floating.

Presumably they'd eaten some of the slug poison and snuffed it.

Never again.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Do you gents think that your slug issues are due to damper and cooler conditions?  I rarely see them here, but if growing greens do have to keep an eye out for them.  I do have some hosta plants but don't recall ever seeing issues with them eating lots of holes on them.  They are very pretty and a lovely way to add some color and form to shade (from blue-green to a whiteish lime).  I personally don't mind their flowers.  They are quite hardy and reliable; just need to divide them every so often.

Steve,

Regarding leaving daffs alone, I know that daffs and iris are poisonous to a number of animals (like squirrels and deer and I suspect also chipmunks), so would not be surprised that they could also be poisonous to slugs.

Mandryka,

A hard and very sad lesson to learn (re slug pellets).   :(  So sorry to hear that....must have been a horrible experience.  It's hard trying to figure out the best ways to deal with pests....finding a way to only hurt (or deterring/prevention) 'the enemy'  and inadvertently hurting other creatures/the environment in our efforts.
Pohjolas Daughter