GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

I admire mushrooms (and hopefully some of the feeling is mutual...) but can you eat those?

Obviously this is not the season, but those in your picture do show up in the late fall near where I live.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on May 06, 2020, 07:24:47 AM
From what I read, there are different varieties of wild garlic. The european variety (allium ursinum) and the appalachian one are related to, but not identical to the one we have here (allium tricoccum). In Quebec it's an endengered species, and one is allowed to harvest a maximum of 50 plants per year.

An interesting article here:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/garlic-lovers-answer-the-call-of-the-wild/article686154/

Herman: I suppose we won't be seeing you picking wild mushrooms either  :D. That's another of my favourite non-musical pursuits. Fortunately it lasts longer and brings more diversity. Miam!

I hadn't realized that ramps were the same thing as wild garlic.  I do remember seeing them for sale at my co-op last year but they were expensive so I passed on trying them.  Might be tempted to should I see them again...and if they aren't endangered in my area of course.

How does the flavor hold up after cooking?   Or best just used in things like salad?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Herman on May 06, 2020, 09:24:58 AM
I admire mushrooms (and hopefully some of the feeling is mutual...) but can you eat those?

Obviously this is not the season, but those in your picture do show up in the late fall near where I live.

That picture shows coprinus comatus, a choice edible common on lawns in September. It decays fast, with the gills turning pinky, then brown before liquefying (hence the name 'inky cap'). When they are young and white they are superb. And they grow in clusters, which makes them a good catch.

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 06, 2020, 09:37:50 AM
I hadn't realized that ramps were the same thing as wild garlic.  I do remember seeing them for sale at my co-op last year but they were expensive so I passed on trying them.  Might be tempted to should I see them again...and if they aren't endangered in my area of course.

How does the flavor hold up after cooking?   Or best just used in things like salad?

PD

I prefer them uncooked, but the bulb can be sauteed in butter, just like green onions. When cooked, the garlicky taste is not as strong and a bit of bitterness develops (like scallions or chicory). It's a once-a-year treat, one of those signs that Spring has arrived for real !

Herman

Quote from: André on May 06, 2020, 03:22:13 PM
That picture shows coprinus comatus, a choice edible common on lawns in September. It decays fast, with the gills turning pinky, then brown before liquefying (hence the name 'inky cap'). When they are young and white they are superb. And they grow in clusters, which makes them a good catch.

well, maybe we'll try next fall.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on May 06, 2020, 03:26:02 PM
I prefer them uncooked, but the bulb can be sauteed in butter, just like green onions. When cooked, the garlicky taste is not as strong and a bit of bitterness develops (like scallions or chicory). It's a once-a-year treat, one of those signs that Spring has arrived for real !
Thank you for your thoughts!   :)

Will have to give them a go.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

By the way, are garden centers open in your various areas? 

Around here, big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes are open (construction being essential); they also have garden centers (don't normally shop there though).  There's a good-sized garden center a few towns away (where I often shop); they are open but only for curbside pickup and you need to call the day before and place your order....so, no picking out my own seeds, etc.  Farm supply businesses are open (must wear a mask and limited number of people allowed at one time inside); you can also do curbside pickup there.  I was able to purchase bags of compost and potting soil....looked at seeds but they didn't have the few that I wanted.

One seed supply company that I often used is now fulfilling non-commercial growers, but they are behind 2-3 weeks due to things like limiting contact between workers, etc.  I suspect also that home gardening is growing in popularity and that seeds are selling out quickly and they are getting swamped with orders.  My guess is that people are finding it 1) way to do projects with kids at home; 2) having more time to do it which they didn't have whilst working and it being an enjoyable hobby from days gone by; 3) concern about the food supply chain.

What have you seen in your areas?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

In the Neths garden centers are open, and I believe they have been too busy, just like the Ikea stores, with people who desperately need to get out and spend some money.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Herman on May 08, 2020, 08:14:07 AM
In the Neths garden centers are open, and I believe they have been too busy, just like the Ikea stores, with people who desperately need to get out and spend some money.
Are all businesses open in the Netherlands Herman?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

No, not all businesses have been closed.

Supermarkets have, obviously never closed (they are the big winners of the crisis); food shops have been open, this week book stores have reopened to huge acclaim (here the story seems to be the other way around: the huge, big city flagship stores have suffered greatly; the more humanly sized stores seem to have done rel well: you could order books and have them delivered).

Cafe's and pubs have been closed, restaurants too. Theaters, obviously, are in major trouble.

I'm not sure about the rest, since my action radius has been very limited.

Pohjolas Daughter

So how are you gardens growing?   :)  Planting anything new this year?  Any major problems with pests so far?

It's been unusually hot at the moment (hence me taking a break from the heat for a bit to cool off).  Making headway in the garden.  So far, I've planted 3 tomato plants, peas (shelling), Chinese snow peas too.  Today:  planted a bunch of eggplants (Orient Express and Nadia plus some seeds for Listada de gandia (a wonderful Italian variety...planting late, will see what I get!).  Also 4 mixed color pack of bell peppers.  A bush slicing cucumber plant in a hanging basket (an experiment). The past hour:  potting up some marigolds with lobelia (taking advantage of the shade from a screened-in porch to do this task!

Irises and roses are beginning to bloom...my favorite time of year in my garden.   ;D

Back to work for me....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

My big red rhododendron is now it's most abundant bloom in years. What I used to do with rhodos and azalea is mix in some fine cedar needles in the soil, so as to mimic their ur-habitat and make their soil airier.

In other places it strikes me that roses are also unusually abundant. It has been dry, sunny and sometimes quite windy. So I'd expect vermin to come a flying and land right in rose bushes, but I guess they didn't. Yet.

I purchased a humble sage plant this afternoon, for my tiny little kitchen garden. Salmon, lime and sage is just the best.

I bet you have a large garden, PD, because those eggplants ain't pretty to look at, as I recall.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on May 27, 2020, 11:11:49 AM

In other places it strikes me that roses are also unusually abundant.

Errrr . . . yes!

As you will see Cecile Brünner is really thriving in my garden and she's started to invade the big pear tree. I like the effect but I'm wondering if I should nip it in the bud -- will she completely smother the tree?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 27, 2020, 10:53:39 AM
Any major problems with pests so far?

Yes this, on Vitis purpurea

I'm not sure what it is or what to do about it. The plant itself is very happy by the looks of it -- this pic was a couple of weeks ago.

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on May 27, 2020, 11:17:29 AM

As you will see Cecile Brünner is really thriving in my garden and she's started to invade the big pear tree. I like the effect but I'm wondering if I should nip it in the bud -- will she completely smother the tree?

That would depend how big the pear tree is.

And yet maybe it would be good to think of way to let the rose not be dependent on the tree, and construct another thing it can grow against.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on May 27, 2020, 12:27:01 PM
That would depend how big the pear tree is.

And yet maybe it would be good to think of way to let the rose not be dependent on the tree, and construct another thing it can grow against.

Are the images working for you? (They are on my PC but not on my tablet for some reason) It'll be really hard to build a prop. I'm less worried about the weight than the thought that it will smother the tree.

It's interesting how everyone seems totally relaxed about growing roses through trees on the internet -- I can't find any advice about pruning it, or it being a danger to the tree. Graham Stewart Thomas is equally cool, saying "Those ramblers which are given trees and hedgerows as supports are best left to themselves . . . "

Anyway Cecile is turning into such a glorious plant that I'll give her a long leash, as they say. But if anyone has had any experience of this, please say!

(Two days ago the wind blew  most of the petals off, it was like there'd been a wedding with confetti in the garden!)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Herman on May 27, 2020, 11:11:49 AM
My big red rhododendron is now it's most abundant bloom in years. What I used to do with rhodos and azalea is mix in some fine cedar needles in the soil, so as to mimic their ur-habitat and make their soil airier.

In other places it strikes me that roses are also unusually abundant. It has been dry, sunny and sometimes quite windy. So I'd expect vermin to come a flying and land right in rose bushes, but I guess they didn't. Yet.

I purchased a humble sage plant this afternoon, for my tiny little kitchen garden. Salmon, lime and sage is just the best.

I bet you have a large garden, PD, because those eggplants ain't pretty to look at, as I recall.
Herman,

I'm sure that they like the needles as rhodes like an acidic soil (like azaleas).

Good to hear that your roses are doing so well....yes, they love sunshine and hate damp (more health issues then).

And, yes, I love sage!  haven't tried it with salmon and lime though.  How do you prepare it?

Garden isn't huge, but I do get a fair amount of sunshine, so I try to use it as best as possible.  I do a combo of plants in the ground and some in pots.  For example, I did put some peppers that grow on the smaller side (like jalapeño and serrano) in pots.  In theory, you can grow anything in a pot that you can in the ground; however, my experience has been is that they aren't as productive over all.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  I do feed them regularly.   :( ::)

As for eggplants, I think that they are gorgeous!  That lovely purple skin...or even striped or light lavender...and some of the globe-shaped ones with their ribbings?!  Works for me at least.   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on May 27, 2020, 11:17:29 AM
Errrr . . . yes!

Alas, I can't see your photos.  Sounds like the variety Cecile Brünner is a tall climber?  I have a climber but it's on the shorter side.  I also prune it every year along with another variety--David Austin's Constance Spry which is great for pegging or for training to grow up something.  Perhaps consult with a nursery?  Or some rose association to see what they think?  How tall is the rose bush at the moment?  And how thickly is it covering your pear tree?  I suspect that it might not be in the interests of the pear tree in terms of health.  Are you able to get many pears from the tree and if so, how do you find them?  Good I hope!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on May 06, 2020, 03:26:02 PM
André,

I tried to buy some ramps but due to Covid and I think also checking a bit late for them...and trying to figure out where to buy them, I missed out this year (weather also turned really hot almost overnight too!).  Oh, well, will try again next year!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 27, 2020, 03:08:06 PM
André,

I tried to buy some ramps but due to Covid and I think also checking a bit late for them...and trying to figure out where to buy them, I missed out this year (weather also turned really hot almost overnight too!).  Oh, well, will try again next year!

Best,

PD

I don't know where you live in the USA, but obviously it's to the south of here :), so I guess it's too late indeed. My ramps are still up and started to sprout flowers (a single one) which means that the leaves should be falling soon, 1 or 2 weeks max. The bulbs have thickened and have a nice size  :).