GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on June 29, 2020, 11:20:07 AM
One nice herb to grow is fennel -- very good flowers and tasty leaves. It's a short lived perennial but seeds itself about a bit.

and an ugly old sage.

I always try to have sage, too. It's a great combo with salmon.

I did get a new plant, though. At some point it just doesn't work anymore.

Fennel is very pretty.

Pohjolas Daughter

I suspect Mandryka that we're talking about different kinds of fennel here.  I grow the type that has a bulb (according to Wiki) and is known as Florence Fennel.

The type that I hope that I'm growing has a more rounded bulb and is more compact.  Will have to ask the farmer re variety.

Sage is lovely...wonderful to cook with fresh and nice to have some dried on hand too.  And love those purple flowers/bracts!  It does like drier and well-drained conditions though, so it's probably not the happiest in hot and steamy Houston.  Marjoram (I have some in a pot) is great with eggs and mushrooms in particular.   :)

Don't know enough of the differences between mints to help you BWV.  I can say that my spearmint was struggling in my garden this year as it was so hot, sunny and dry.  It was doing better in areas where it received some shade.  With all of the current rain that we have been having, I predict that it will be much happier!  :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on June 29, 2020, 11:55:54 PM
I always try to have sage, too. It's a great combo with salmon.

I did get a new plant, though. At some point it just doesn't work anymore.

Fennel is very pretty.

In the Bordeaux region there's a saying, sauge dans le jardin, jamais besoin du medcin.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2020, 04:19:03 AM
I suspect Mandryka that we're talking about different kinds of fennel here.  I grow the type that has a bulb (according to Wiki) and is known as Florence Fennel.

The type that I hope that I'm growing has a more rounded bulb and is more compact.  Will have to ask the farmer re variety.

Sage is lovely...wonderful to cook with fresh and nice to have some dried on hand too.  And love those purple flowers/bracts!  It does like drier and well-drained conditions though, so it's probably not the happiest in hot and steamy Houston.  Marjoram (I have some in a pot) is great with eggs and mushrooms in particular.   :)

Don't know enough of the differences between mints to help you BWV.  I can say that my spearmint was struggling in my garden this year as it was so hot, sunny and dry.  It was doing better in areas where it received some shade.  With all of the current rain that we have been having, I predict that it will be much happier!  :)

Best wishes,

PD

I can't grow that here, at least not without a greenhouse. But thanks for posting because it's given me an idea of what to cook for tonight -- a mixture of fennel, tomatoes, butternut squash and celeriac slow roasted.

The one I used to grow is this (it's vanished now, but I may well put some in next year. I love just picking a leaf and a bit of stem and eating it.)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Herman

My mom used to have fennel in her kitchen garden. Those stalks and flowers are just amazing, otherworldly.

BWV 1080

I want to grow a curry tree, save me trips to the Indian grocer, but not sure where to find one

Irons

The soil in my garden is heavy clay which is far from ideal for herbs - funnily enough my allotment soil, just a ten minute drive, is the complete opposite. I grow a few herbs in an old sink. Located in a sunny spot and planted in a stony well drained soil which they love.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Yes, very pretty!  And I bet that butterflies love it too!

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2020, 05:04:36 AM
I can't grow that here, at least not without a greenhouse. But thanks for posting because it's given me an idea of what to cook for tonight -- a mixture of fennel, tomatoes, butternut squash and celeriac slow roasted.

The one I used to grow is this (it's vanished now, but I may well put some in next year. I love just picking a leaf and a bit of stem and eating it.)

Your dinner sounds yummy!  Will you be using some of your garden fennel or be purchasing a fennel bulb?  And what will you be serving with it?   :)  Speaking of which, I haven't had much to eat yet today and need to rectify that now!

Herman,

I'll bet that your mother's kitchen garden was lovely.   :)

Quote from: BWV 1080 on June 30, 2020, 06:45:03 AM
I want to grow a curry tree, save me trips to the Indian grocer, but not sure where to find one
I haven't tried growing one of those before now...never used the leaves.  Perhaps try calling around some local garden/plant stores and ask for suggestions?

Quote from: Irons on June 30, 2020, 06:46:34 AM
The soil in my garden is heavy clay which is far from ideal for herbs - funnily enough my allotment soil, just a ten minute drive, is the complete opposite. I grow a few herbs in an old sink. Located in a sunny spot and planted in a stony well drained soil which they love.
Irons,

Would love to see pictures of your herb sink!  Bet that it looks great!

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: BWV 1080 on June 30, 2020, 06:45:03 AM

The seeds seem to be readily available (eg. from Amazon), if you can wait that long. I used to buy the leaves from my local Asia Shop but I ended up throwing most of them away as they only sold them in big bags and most recipes only needed a couple of leaves.

The plants seem to be widely available in the UK (on the internet).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 30, 2020, 06:46:34 AM
Thanks for the pic Irons!  Wow!  How beautiful!  Did you build all that I see there (not the sink)?  The wall and the cold frame bed?   :)  Is that a stone sink too?  Think that I see something for compost tea???  I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with my yard waste now (think kitchen scraps mostly) since my composter died.  Suggestions anyone?  I don't need a big one by any means.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on June 30, 2020, 07:35:23 AM
The seeds seem to be readily available (eg. from Amazon), if you can wait that long. I used to buy the leaves from my local Asia Shop but I ended up throwing most of them away as they only sold them in big bags and most recipes only needed a couple of leaves.

What do you use curry leaves in by the way?  I've never used them before.  And what kind of flavor do they impart?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Quote from: Biffo on June 30, 2020, 07:35:23 AM

Might try that - that is the reason, make curry a few times a month and would be nice to have fresh leaves without going to the Indian grocer.  We do get an occasional freeze in Houston, so don't know if that would be a problem
Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2020, 08:54:39 AM
What do you use curry leaves in by the way?  I've never used them before.  And what kind of flavor do they impart?

PD

Not related to curry powder, which is a spice mix, curry leaves are used in some Indian curries and I would compare it to lemongrass. You have to fry them in oil to release the flavor

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on June 30, 2020, 09:07:47 AM
Might try that - that is the reason, make curry a few times a month and would be nice to have fresh leaves without going to the Indian grocer.  We do get an occasional freeze in Houston, so don't know if that would be a problem
Not related to curry powder, which is a spice mix, curry leaves are used in some Indian curries and I would compare it to lemongrass. You have to fry them in oil to release the flavor

BWV,

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of googling and found this informative website.  The person posting it is in Australia, but there are some very helpful tips there in the replies section...particularly by a poster who lives in Richmond, Virginia.  Others have tips for freezing fresh curry leaves.  https://gardendrum.com/2014/06/04/how-to-grow-curry-leaf-tree/

And, thanks, yes, I did know that about curry powder.  I've made my own at times in the past...and also know that there are all different variations too.  Do you have a favorite one(s) BWV?   :)

Speaking of lemongrass, I've been tempted to purchase a plant to grow myself.  Would need to grow it in a pot and move it indoors come the fall though.

Let us know if you decide to grow one and how it turns out.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Herman

Herb Sink or Cink would be a great name for a pianist in a bar / restaurant where old men bring their young dates for a bite. The kind of place where no one ever talks.

Irons

Quote from: Herman on June 30, 2020, 10:23:15 AM
Herb Sink or Cink would be a great name for a pianist in a bar / restaurant where old men bring their young dates for a bite. The kind of place where no one ever talks.

:D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2020, 08:50:57 AM
Thanks for the pic Irons!  Wow!  How beautiful!  Did you build all that I see there (not the sink)?  The wall and the cold frame bed?   :)  Is that a stone sink too?  Think that I see something for compost tea???  I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with my yard waste now (think kitchen scraps mostly) since my composter died.  Suggestions anyone?  I don't need a big one by any means.

PD

If I built a wall, P, it would not be still standing! The cold frame believe it or not, is all my own work and most useful it is too.

I had a bad experience with a compost bin in the back garden. So bad, I now take all kitchen waste to a bin at the allotment. I'm fine with all creepy-crawlies, snakes and the like but have a problem with rodents, in fact they freak me out! Took a bucket of waste to the bin at the end of the garden, taking off the lid I was greeted by the sight of a huge rat feeding on the vegetable food waste. I don't know who moved quicker, the rat or me!

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2020, 08:54:39 AM

PD

As far as I can remember I only have one recipe that called for curry leaves so I ended up throwing away most of them. I am not sure what they added to the flavour but I found a recipe that suggested using a pinch of garam masala if curry leaves weren't available.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 30, 2020, 11:46:54 PM
If I built a wall, P, it would not be still standing! The cold frame believe it or not, is all my own work and most useful it is too.

I had a bad experience with a compost bin in the back garden. So bad, I now take all kitchen waste to a bin at the allotment. I'm fine with all creepy-crawlies, snakes and the like but have a problem with rodents, in fact they freak me out! Took a bucket of waste to the bin at the end of the garden, taking off the lid I was greeted by the sight of a huge rat feeding on the vegetable food waste. I don't know who moved quicker, the rat or me!
I had forgotten that story!  Shudder.  Do you guys share in the compost at the allotment?  I used to have one...think that it was called "The Tumbler"....big barrel with two doors (one at each end) which was mounted on kind of a u-frame (flat on bottom though) and you could flip it end over end (rather hard when it was full--heavy!).  Thinking of getting one with a crank handle...possibly one which has two compartment too.  Not cheap though.  It does keep out critters though!  Probably not bears, but they've never bothered mine in the past.

Did you design the cold frame all on your own Irons?  Or find a plan somewhere?  Looks very nice!  You're oregano, sage and chives all look very happy in your sink!   :)  I was able to weed for a short while, then it started raining again.  Might try to do some more in a bit since it seems to have stopped for the time being.

PD

p.s.  And thanks for the further comments and suggestions re curry leaves Biffo.  :-)
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 01, 2020, 10:32:57 AM
I had forgotten that story!  Shudder.  Do you guys share in the compost at the allotment?  I used to have one...think that it was called "The Tumbler"....big barrel with two doors (one at each end) which was mounted on kind of a u-frame (flat on bottom though) and you could flip it end over end (rather hard when it was full--heavy!).  Thinking of getting one with a crank handle...possibly one which has two compartment too.  Not cheap though.  It does keep out critters though!  Probably not bears, but they've never bothered mine in the past.

Did you design the cold frame all on your own Irons?  Or find a plan somewhere?  Looks very nice!  You're oregano, sage and chives all look very happy in your sink!   :)  I was able to weed for a short while, then it started raining again.  Might try to do some more in a bit since it seems to have stopped for the time being.

PD

p.s.  And thanks for the further comments and suggestions re curry leaves Biffo.  :-)

I think they are primarily a South Indian thing, the recipe I use that calls for them is Chettinadu Curry.  This is not the exact recipe, but its close:

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/chicken-chettinad/

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks BWV.  I'll check it out.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter