GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

I have my mint in a metal double sink planted at ground level. I noted only last week that some had escaped and soon will be on the rampage.

Monty Don's dog, Nigel is sorely missed. A four legged TV star. Nellie is lovely but she hasn't the charisma of Nigel.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Irons on May 10, 2021, 11:55:54 PM
I have my mint in a metal double sink planted at ground level. I noted only last week that some had escaped and soon will be on the rampage.

Monty Don's dog, Nigel is sorely missed. A four legged TV star. Nellie is lovely but she hasn't the charisma of Nigel.

It's mounted a daring escape from prison, has it?  :laugh: :laugh: Well, if mine tries the same it will meet with a dour reception: stone patio pavers.

We miss Nige, too.  He seemed the canine equivalent of Monty. Love that show, calm, informative, tranquil, kindly.  Beechgrove tries hard but just can't compare...
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Irons

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 11, 2021, 04:43:38 AM
It's mounted a daring escape from prison, has it?  :laugh: :laugh: Well, if mine tries the same it will meet with a dour reception: stone patio pavers.

We miss Nige, too.  He seemed the canine equivalent of Monty. Love that show, calm, informative, tranquil, kindly.  Beechgrove tries hard but just can't compare...

I find it mind-blowing that someone from your part of the world watches Beechgrove. Next you will be telling me you listen to Gardeners Question Time on BBC Radio 4. :laugh:
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Irons on May 11, 2021, 06:50:46 AM
I find it mind-blowing that someone from your part of the world watches Beechgrove. Next you will be telling me you listen to Gardeners Question Time on BBC Radio 4. :laugh:

No, no mind-blowing, please - it's quite simple, my wife and I subscribe to the BritBox.  And in fact, I have listened to the Gardeners' Question Time on my Kindle, which is quite good, but I'm always compelled to move over to BBC3; your classical programming is way more venturesome and varied than ours.  We are also fond of the Shipping Forecast on 4. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Szykneij

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 10, 2021, 03:20:35 PM
... but I revile ticks and if they all burnt in hell I'd be a happy man. 

I'm not sure hellfire is strong enough to destroy the nasty critters!  :o  :)

I've been taking some of the tomato and cucumber plants I started from seed outside this week to harden them off, anxiously awaiting a stretch of warm enough weather to get them in the ground.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 11, 2021, 08:33:15 AM
No, no mind-blowing, please - it's quite simple, my wife and I subscribe to the BritBox.  And in fact, I have listened to the Gardeners' Question Time on my Kindle, which is quite good, but I'm always compelled to move over to BBC3; your classical programming is way more venturesome and varied than ours.  We are also fond of the Shipping Forecast on 4.

A late friend who had not the slightest interest in gardening listened religiously to Gardeners Question Time . I asked him why but never got a satisfactory reply.

It is not that you are able to watch Beechgrove, more that actually you do!

Irons

Quote from: Szykneij on May 11, 2021, 11:47:22 AM
I'm not sure hellfire is strong enough to destroy the nasty critters!  :o  :)

I've been taking some of the tomato and cucumber plants I started from seed outside this week to harden them off, anxiously awaiting a stretch of warm enough weather to get them in the ground.

A good tip I picked up recently, never subject tomato plants to less then 10 degrees. I lost two cucumber plants last week planted in growbags in a greenhouse. Coldest Spring night-time temperatures on record here.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 10, 2021, 11:55:54 PM

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 11, 2021, 04:43:38 AM

My lemon balm (which is in the mint family) tried to take over too.   :)

Ticks and mosquitos could both disappear as far as I'm concerned; they're both spreaders of diseases.

Making some headway in the garden.  I must admit, though, that my quads and hamstrings are feeling the effects of so much squatting!   ::)  Rather glad that I didn't get a delivery of more plants today as I've spent a good chunk of the day trying to order parts for my old (but very good) multi cutter.  Boy are replacement parts expensive!  Plenty of other work to do in the meantime (plants arriving next Wednesday), but I'll miss not having the use of my string trimmer in the meantime.

As a side note:  I swore that I wouldn't grow cucumbers again as it was a battle against pests and disease, but I gave in and order one plant of a vining type.  Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Irons on May 12, 2021, 07:35:55 AM
A good tip I picked up recently, never subject tomato plants to less then 10 degrees. I lost two cucumber plants last week planted in growbags in a greenhouse. Coldest Spring night-time temperatures on record here.

Yes, nighttime temperatures around here have been hovering around a low of 50 degrees F. (10 C.), so I was a bit worried about leaving my tomato and cucumber plants out overnight. Luckily, they look fine this morning.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 12, 2021, 07:35:55 AM
Sorry to hear that Irons.  The weather has been all over the place between late winter and early spring.  It seems to be calming down now.  Gorgeous day here a day or two ago:  sunny and in the 60's; I was in heaven!  :)

I've done o.k. lately re plants.  I picked up a 4-pack of shishito peppers last Sunday and they've been doing fine sitting out on my front porch (24 hours).  I need to pot up two of them and then find somebody who will take the other too as they are quite prolific!
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2021, 04:44:16 AM
Sorry to hear that Irons.  The weather has been all over the place between late winter and early spring.  It seems to be calming down now.  Gorgeous day here a day or two ago:  sunny and in the 60's; I was in heaven!  :)

I've done o.k. lately re plants.  I picked up a 4-pack of shishito peppers last Sunday and they've been doing fine sitting out on my front porch (24 hours).  I need to pot up two of them and then find somebody who will take the other too as they are quite prolific!

We seem to follow you PD for weather I have noticed, so here's hoping. Planted in modules today Ishikura spring onions. I planted out yesterday the first batch I sowed early in the year.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 13, 2021, 07:28:02 AM
We seem to follow you PD for weather I have noticed, so here's hoping. Planted in modules today Ishikura spring onions. I planted out yesterday the first batch I sowed early in the year.
Interesting!  Well, it's been lovely here lately....so, good weather thoughts your way!  Must admit, I was beat after yesterday's efforts outside.  More to do before Wednesday when I'll be (hopefully) receiving a bunch of plants.  I prepped some pots yesterday working in some compost, a bit more potting soil, etc.  More to get ready today plus need to work a couple of beds over the next few days.  Decided to put a couple of tomato plants directly into a bed and try, once again, to figure out a way to keep chipmunks from getting at them.  They are so small and so crafty!  ::)  Do you have any special tricks for keeping them from biting into your just-ripening tomatoes?  Also, I'm wanting to organize my garden tools and pots better..lots of projects!

Happy gardening!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 14, 2021, 05:56:56 AM
Interesting!  Well, it's been lovely here lately....so, good weather thoughts your way!  Must admit, I was beat after yesterday's efforts outside.  More to do before Wednesday when I'll be (hopefully) receiving a bunch of plants.  I prepped some pots yesterday working in some compost, a bit more potting soil, etc.  More to get ready today plus need to work a couple of beds over the next few days.  Decided to put a couple of tomato plants directly into a bed and try, once again, to figure out a way to keep chipmunks from getting at them.  They are so small and so crafty!  ::)  Do you have any special tricks for keeping them from biting into your just-ripening tomatoes?  Also, I'm wanting to organize my garden tools and pots better..lots of projects!

Happy gardening!

PD

Chipmunks rare in my neck of the woods, PD. Absolutely knackered after planting far too many leeks today. Here in the southeast we have been hit with the leek mining fly which will destroy the whole crop. I have covered them with insect protective mesh which kept the blighters out last year. We love leeks cooked in a cheese sauce.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2021, 07:03:57 AM
Chipmunks rare in my neck of the woods, PD. Absolutely knackered after planting far too many leeks today. Here in the southeast we have been hit with the leek mining fly which will destroy the whole crop. I have covered them with insect protective mesh which kept the blighters out last year. We love leeks cooked in a cheese sauce.
Lucky you!  I'd be more than happy to share some of mine with you?  Alvin and friends perhaps?  How much trouble could these guys be?

Love leeks!  Yum!  Haven't had them with cheese sauce before.  What kind of cheese do you like to use?  I've made a decadent recipe in the past.  If I'm recalling correctly, it's just salt, pepper & lots of heavy cream.  You bake it in a gratin dish.  The cream thickens as it cooks into a wonderful, thick and slightly sweet sauce.   :D  If interested, I'll double-check the recipe for you.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons,

I went to a farmers' market this morning.  Guess what I came away with?  Leeks!  And you're to blame!  ;)  I did, however, only buy a pound to eat vs. to plant.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2021, 04:57:21 AM
Irons,

I went to a farmers' market this morning.  Guess what I came away with?  Leeks!  And you're to blame!  ;)  I did, however, only buy a pound to eat vs. to plant.

PD

:D
A "full English" breakfast is about the limit to my cooking prowess, PD. I grow it and Paul cooks it! Instead of cauliflower cheese try leek in a cheese sauce. I finished planting the leeks this morning I'm pleased to report - too many by far. After hammering a 6" hole in the soil you pop the seedling in and then fill the whole with water. Backbreaking!
Enjoy your leeks.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 15, 2021, 06:15:21 AM
:D
A "full English" breakfast is about the limit to my cooking prowess, PD. I grow it and Paul cooks it! Instead of cauliflower cheese try leek in a cheese sauce. I finished planting the leeks this morning I'm pleased to report - too many by far. After hammering a 6" hole in the soil you pop the seedling in and then fill the whole with water. Backbreaking!
Enjoy your leeks.
Interesting!  I'm familiar with a king of trench/hill method.  So you bury your seedlings six inches down and cover it up from the get-go?  Do you then also later on hill it or put straw or something else on top?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2021, 07:08:30 AM
Interesting!  I'm familiar with a king of trench/hill method.  So you bury your seedlings six inches down and cover it up from the get-go?  Do you then also later on hill it or put straw or something else on top?

PD

A strange and laborious process. Using a sawn-off end of a wooden spade handle a hole is driven in the soil by a mallet 6" deep. The leek seedling is then dropped into the hole. Holes are spaced 6" apart. The part of the leek we eat is the white stem, if this is above ground photosynthesis would take place and the whole stem would be green. In most parts of the country covering is unnecessary, but here we have the leek minor - imported from Hungary, I think - which will ruin a crop without protection. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 16, 2021, 01:10:42 AM
A strange and laborious process. Using a sawn-off end of a wooden spade handle a hole is driven in the soil by a mallet 6" deep. The leek seedling is then dropped into the hole. Holes are spaced 6" apart. The part of the leek we eat is the white stem, if this is above ground photosynthesis would take place and the whole stem would be green. In most parts of the country covering is unnecessary, but here we have the leek minor - imported from Hungary, I think - which will ruin a crop without protection.
Interesting Irons.  I did know that you need to severely limit the exposure to the sun (otherwise, as you mentioned, you would get way too much of the tough green leaves).  I guess thought that if you put it that far down into the ground that it would rot?   Is any of the seedling that you plant still above ground when you planted them?  Or does a tiny bit break through to the surface eventually?  And do you plant them into very sandy/loose soil?
Pohjolas Daughter