GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 16, 2021, 02:53:49 AM
Interesting Irons.  I did know that you need to severely limit the exposure to the sun (otherwise, as you mentioned, you would get way too much of the tough green leaves).  I guess thought that if you put it that far down into the ground that it would rot?   Is any of the seedling that you plant still above ground when you planted them?  Or does a tiny bit break through to the surface eventually?  And do you plant them into very sandy/loose soil?

Rain permitting I plan to go to allotment tomorrow. A picture is worth a thousand words so I will take one to post and all will be clear.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 16, 2021, 06:03:39 AM
Rain permitting I plan to go to allotment tomorrow. A picture is worth a thousand words so I will take one to post and all will be clear.
Thanks!

From She-of-a-thousand-questions,

PD

p.s.  Just inside from transferring a previously potted sage plant into the ground, doing a bit of digging up tree saplings to do that, and a few other chores.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 16, 2021, 06:29:29 AM
Thanks!

From She-of-a-thousand-questions,

PD

p.s.  Just inside from transferring a previously potted sage plant into the ground, doing a bit of digging up tree saplings to do that, and a few other chores.  :)

No problem PD. Thanks for interest.

As promised -
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 17, 2021, 06:32:58 AM
No problem PD. Thanks for interest.

As promised -
Thanks!  It looks very nice and tidy and orderly.   :)  I suspect that you put at least a little bit of soil in the bottom of the holes to keep them upright?  And do you add more soil to the holes as the leeks grow?

A rather frustrating day here.  I woke up with shoulder killing me (from vaccine) and then had to sort out computer problems.  If I'm lucky, I'll get outside for a bit later on...want to get more cleaned up/prepped before all of my veggie starts get delivered on Wednesday!  ???

Enjoy your dinner and sweet dreams of leeks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Snap on PC problems, PD. Drives me up the wall, I have had enough error messages to last a lifetime! ???

No, bung the leeks in the pre-prepared hole, water, then let them get on with it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Overslept today....urgh!  I suspect (at least in part) that that was due to working outside in the heat for a good chunk of the day.   ::)

I did get my tomatoes planted (one each of Early Girl, Jet Star and moved my Sungold to a bed after planting it in a large clay pot the day before---what was I thinking!  SG is a big sprawler of a plant, but does give one copious amounts of lovely yellow, sweet cherry size tomatoes).  Need to find another dwarf variety for that pot now.

Also potted up the rest of my pepper plants (planted a combo of sweet to moderately hot peppers)--was smart here as the ones that I potted up yesterday, I did mostly by mixing up the soil, compost, etc. in the shade inside a screened-in porch.  Am trying Hungarian peppers for the first time as well as Anaheim, one poblano (would love to get another of that one), a serrano, jalapeño and two shishitos as well as some bell peppers.  Also planted some Italian-type basil...progress!

A friend was also very helpful in tying up a very vigorous (but beautiful) rose bush.  It's an older variety by the English rosarian David Austin.  It's a one-time bloomer called Constance Spry.  It was getting to the point where I would have to carefully walk around it trying not to step into my beds!  :D

How are the rest of you doing?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 21, 2021, 07:14:23 AM
Overslept today....urgh!  I suspect (at least in part) that that was due to working outside in the heat for a good chunk of the day.   ::)

I did get my tomatoes planted (one each of Early Girl, Jet Star and moved my Sungold to a bed after planting it in a large clay pot the day before---what was I thinking!  SG is a big sprawler of a plant, but does give one copious amounts of lovely yellow, sweet cherry size tomatoes).  Need to find another dwarf variety for that pot now.

Also potted up the rest of my pepper plants (planted a combo of sweet to moderately hot peppers)--was smart here as the ones that I potted up yesterday, I did mostly by mixing up the soil, compost, etc. in the shade inside a screened-in porch.  Am trying Hungarian peppers for the first time as well as Anaheim, one poblano (would love to get another of that one), a serrano, jalapeño and two shishitos as well as some bell peppers.  Also planted some Italian-type basil...progress!

A friend was also very helpful in tying up a very vigorous (but beautiful) rose bush.  It's an older variety by the English rosarian David Austin.  It's a one-time bloomer called Constance Spry.  It was getting to the point where I would have to carefully walk around it trying not to step into my beds!  :D

PD

David Austin roses are more expensive but worth every penny.

Man upstairs having a laugh weather-wise. First, a month of rain every day without fail, followed by frost each night and now gale-force wind! Foolishly I planted runner beans out yesterday only to have the wind decimate them. If there is sun in the sky in my part of the world I have yet to see it!

I have 52 "leggy" tomato plants to plant out but with a night time temp of 4c (39.2 f) forecast for Saturday that is not an option.

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 21, 2021, 07:14:23 AM

PD

Thanks for the beautiful picture of Constance Spry.

I am jealous of your heat, Here in the UK May continues to be cold and wet. High winds have been added to that causing some havoc on my patio. The tree peony has a couple of magnificent blooms and they have survived so far, usually they get blown to shreds. The camellia had a record number of flowers on it but most of them have been stripped of by the wind over the last few days. No sign of the weather improving any time soon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 21, 2021, 07:43:04 AM
David Austin roses are more expensive but worth every penny.

Man upstairs having a laugh weather-wise. First, a month of rain every day without fail, followed by frost each night and now gale-force wind! Foolishly I planted runner beans out yesterday only to have the wind decimate them. If there is sun in the sky in my part of the world I have yet to see it!

I have 52 "leggy" tomato plants to plant out but with a night time temp of 4c (39.2 f) forecast for Saturday that is not an option.
Yes, he's come up with some wonderful and very fragrant varieties.  Most of them (last I saw anyway) are fragrant and repeat bloomers.  For those who aren't familiar with his name, he bred some old world roses with modern stock to create varieties (many of them double-petaled) which have wonderful scents.

So sorry to hear of your lousy weather!  Did the wind break the stems?  If not, hopefully they will recover? Lately, it's been in the 70's or 80's.  Personally, I don't like it that hot, but the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants will love it!

52 tomato plants!!  ???  I'm guessing a combo of slicers, romas and cherries?  So does your wife make lots of sauce and salsa to put up for the winter?  That's still a lot of plants; do you give a lot of them away--either to your kids and/or the neighbors?

Quote from: Biffo on May 21, 2021, 07:49:28 AM
Thanks for the beautiful picture of Constance Spry.

I am jealous of your heat, Here in the UK May continues to be cold and wet. High winds have been added to that causing some havoc on my patio. The tree peony has a couple of magnificent blooms and they have survived so far, usually they get blown to shreds. The camellia had a record number of flowers on it but most of them have been stripped of by the wind over the last few days. No sign of the weather improving any time soon.
What are the temps like and weather normally in May in the UK?  And very sorry to hear of the damage to your lovely plants.  :(

You're welcome re the photo.  I'd love to say that it's from my garden, but it's from David Austin's website.  I just wanted to give you guys an idea what it looks like.  Mine is budding.  Need to feed it and my other rose bushes; I'm behind this year!  It really does put on a lovely display though.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

For what it's worth I recently contacted two big rose nurseries here with a question about whether they had a plant suitable for a hot sunny location. Peter Beales and David Austin. Beales were much much better to deal with.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2021, 09:42:54 AM
For what it's worth I recently contacted two big rose nurseries here with a question about whether they had a plant suitable for a hot sunny location. Peter Beales and David Austin. Beales were much much better to deal with.
I have Beales' Classic Roses book.   :)

I just took a better look at DA's website.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that they will ship to the US.  The times that I've bought his roses were at nurseries.  Sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience.  What happened?

Taking a short break from the garden.  Will go back out in a few minutes and at least finish one project for today.  I'm thankful that it's been partly overcast at times...easier on the body and also on newly planted seedlings.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 21, 2021, 11:37:53 AM
I have Beales' Classic Roses book.   :)

I just took a better look at DA's website.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that they will ship to the US.  The times that I've bought his roses were at nurseries.  Sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience.  What happened?

Taking a short break from the garden.  Will go back out in a few minutes and at least finish one project for today.  I'm thankful that it's been partly overcast at times...easier on the body and also on newly planted seedlings.  :)

PD

The difference was just this. Beales took a lot of time and trouble to come up with a list of roses which may be suitable for my location, they referred me from one person to another, who they felt had better experience with my particular sort of problem.  I felt as though I was speaking to an expert who had taken the time to think about the issues (which are to do with roses for hot and sunny locations.) Austen had a support person with a script who came up with an answer just based on my preferred colour and clearly had given it no thought at all beyond that. I suspect he was using a chart with arrows which just said something like « prospect wants red climber - say Rose R, prospect wants yellow small shrub - say Rose Y . . . Don't forget to close the deal. »

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on May 22, 2021, 12:39:00 AM
The difference was just this. Beales took a lot of time and trouble to come up with a list of roses which may be suitable for my location, they referred me from one person to another, who they felt had better experience with my particular sort of problem.  I felt as though I was speaking to an expert who had taken the time to think about the issues (which are to do with roses for hot and sunny locations.) Austen had a support person with a script who came up with an answer just based on my preferred colour and clearly had given it no thought at all beyond that. I suspect he was using a chart with arrows which just said something like « prospect wants red climber - say Rose R, prospect wants yellow small shrub - say Rose Y . . . Don't forget to close the deal. »

Nothing beats personal experience.

I fail miserably growing roses. I have clay soil which I believe is ideal but they don't flourish. Trying to divert blame from myself I have picked up from somewhere that after decades of growing them a garden can become "rose sick". When we moved into our house forty years ago, we have since dropped it, but the house was called "Rose Bay". If named for a reason could explain the failure today, maybe. :-\

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on May 22, 2021, 12:39:00 AM
Interesting!  Well, I'm glad that you ended up getting the help that you needed.

Quote from: Irons on May 22, 2021, 01:20:13 AM
Nothing beats personal experience.

I fail miserably growing roses. I have clay soil which I believe is ideal but they don't flourish. Trying to divert blame from myself I have picked up from somewhere that after decades of growing them a garden can become "rose sick". When we moved into our house forty years ago, we have since dropped it, but the house was called "Rose Bay". If named for a reason could explain the failure today, maybe. :-\
I remember reading something years ago that if you attempt to dig up a rose bush (say to move it) that it can release something 'toxic' into the soil.  Wonder how much truth there is in this?  Some of my roses have done better than others here.  The ones over the years that have done best are in a south-facing garden with nice fertile and crumbly soil.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 21, 2021, 08:59:44 AM
Yes, he's come up with some wonderful and very fragrant varieties.  Most of them (last I saw anyway) are fragrant and repeat bloomers.  For those who aren't familiar with his name, he bred some old world roses with modern stock to create varieties (many of them double-petaled) which have wonderful scents.

So sorry to hear of your lousy weather!  Did the wind break the stems?  If not, hopefully they will recover? Lately, it's been in the 70's or 80's.  Personally, I don't like it that hot, but the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants will love it!

52 tomato plants!!  ???  I'm guessing a combo of slicers, romas and cherries?  So does your wife make lots of sauce and salsa to put up for the winter?  That's still a lot of plants; do you give a lot of them away--either to your kids and/or the neighbors?
What are the temps like and weather normally in May in the UK?  And very sorry to hear of the damage to your lovely plants.  :(

You're welcome re the photo.  I'd love to say that it's from my garden, but it's from David Austin's website.  I just wanted to give you guys an idea what it looks like.  Mine is budding.  Need to feed it and my other rose bushes; I'm behind this year!  It really does put on a lovely display though.  :)

PD

The average May temperature in the UK is 16 degrees centigrade but you can usually expect it to be a bit warmer than that here on the South Coast. Last May was exceptionally sunny and warmer than average. This May has been cool; today it is 14C, tomorrow is forecast to be 12C with rain. Over the past three weeks it has rained just about every day -  light rain, heavy rain, torrential rain and hail.  The weather is forecast to get warmer towards the end of next week. I hope so, I want to plant out my pepper seedlings and generally clean up the mess.

Forgot to mention the high winds (see Irons' posting above).

Pohjolas Daughter

Back from a farmers' market.  Guess what I picked up--leeks!  And, yes, this time the plants.  I'm blaming you Irons!  ;)

Also, picked up two plum tomatoes to go in a big pot in which I planted and then yanked out sun gold tomatoes.  It's a variety called Plum Regal.  And picked up a six-pack of marigolds and a couple of sixes of some various colored alyssum (purple, blue and white shades).  Tomatoes are now planted but need to figure out staking.

Was good and got outside early to water and also attempted to fix a leaking bird bath (will see whether or not it works later).

Supposed to get quite hot outside this weekend, so I'll head back out there now whilst it's still cool and the sun isn't too strong.

Happy gardening!

PD

p.s.  Mandryka, what variety of Beales' roses did you end up picking out?

Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2021, 04:44:49 AM
The average May temperature in the UK is 16 degrees centigrade but you can usually expect it to be a bit warmer than that here on the South Coast. Last May was exceptionally sunny and warmer than average. This May has been cool; today it is 14C, tomorrow is forecast to be 12C with rain. Over the past three weeks it has rained just about every day -  light rain, heavy rain, torrential rain and hail.  The weather is forecast to get warmer towards the end of next week. I hope so, I want to plant out my pepper seedlings and generally clean up the mess.

Forgot to mention the high winds (see Irons' posting above).
Hail too?! Burr! :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 22, 2021, 04:47:54 AM

Su

I haven't, I'm not even sure I will plant a rose in the spot. This is the email they sent me

QuoteThank you for your call earlier today. As promised, I provide a list below of suggestions for those roses that will be fine within the particularly hot corner of two walls we discussed earlier. The success of this rose does depend a lot on your own commitment to very heavy watering (particularly in the first couple of summers when the roots are young) and even watering over the foliage on shady, cooler days can be beneficial.

Aimee Vibert

Sombreuil

Devoniensis

Bouquet D'Or

Duchesse d'Auderstadt

Celine Forestier

City of York

Alister Stella Gray

Adam

Lady Hillingdon Climber

Marechal Niel

Reve D'Or

Gloire de Dijon

Belle Vichysoise

Blush Noisette

New Dawn

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 22, 2021, 04:47:54 AM
Back from a farmers' market.  Guess what I picked up--leeks!  And, yes, this time the plants.  I'm blaming you Irons!  ;)

Also, picked up two plum tomatoes to go in a big pot in which I planted and then yanked out sun gold tomatoes.  It's a variety called Plum Regal.  And picked up a six-pack of marigolds and a couple of sixes of some various colored alyssum (purple, blue and white shades).  Tomatoes are now planted but need to figure out staking.

Was good and got outside early to water and also attempted to fix a leaking bird bath (will see whether or not it works later).

Supposed to get quite hot outside this weekend, so I'll head back out there now whilst it's still cool and the sun isn't too strong.

Happy gardening!

PD

If you have any marigolds left over plant them among the tomato plants. Whitefly hate the smell of French marigolds

Good luck with leeks. Don't forget 6" holes 6" apart. Pop leek in and then fill hole with water. Simples. :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on May 22, 2021, 12:03:02 PM
I haven't, I'm not even sure I will plant a rose in the spot. This is the email they sent me
I checked out some of the roses....very pretty!  And, so you were thinking of a climber for there?  Are you concerned about their comments re watering?

Quote from: Irons on May 23, 2021, 01:18:13 AM
If you have any marigolds left over plant them among the tomato plants. Whitefly hate the smell of French marigolds

Good luck with leeks. Don't forget 6" holes 6" apart. Pop leek in and then fill hole with water. Simples. :D
I was thinking of maybe putting the marigolds (at least a couple of them) into some pots and putting them on my porch to encourage pollinators to come around (near my tomato plants in pots).

And re leeks:  will do! :-)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on May 23, 2021, 01:18:13 AM

Slugs and snails, on the other hand, seem to love them. I have given up on tulips, marigolds and dahlias.