Peter Warlock (Philip Heseltine) 1894-1930

Started by vandermolen, August 22, 2009, 02:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2021, 02:22:46 AM
Sounds like our current political leadership!  ;D

Brilliant! My first laugh of the day! :laugh:
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

LKB

I haven't heard The Curlew for decades, not since spending a couple of intense days with the EMI/Partridge et. al. LP. I still remember how uniquely lonely Heseltine seemed after hearing the piece.

Lonely... and darkly brilliant.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Irons

Quote from: LKB on October 20, 2021, 07:55:26 AM
I haven't heard The Curlew for decades, not since spending a couple of intense days with the EMI/Partridge et. al. LP. I still remember how uniquely lonely Heseltine seemed after hearing the piece.

Lonely... and darkly brilliant.

Reading the early part of his biography he had the world at his feet with money, talent and people around him that cared. There are two clues that lead you to think that maybe trouble ahead. His fixation with Delius went beyond hero-worship. Also an intense, at times difficult, relationship with his mother, a strong-willed difficult woman.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

LKB

Years ago, l was able to talk my fellow vocalists into joining me for an Advent performance of Bethlehem Down.

What an exotic experience, singing a Christmas carol evoking pity, rather than joy. The only other carol l can think of with comparable emotional impact is Sabine Baring-Gould's The Infant King, but whereas the final verse in that piece proclaims the Easter victory, Heseltine leaves his listener a superbly crafted collection of unsettling imagery.

I'm glad to have performed the piece; I also doubt I'll ever wish to again.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...