Witold Lutoslawski (1913-1994)

Started by Maciek, April 11, 2007, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 18, 2022, 03:56:58 PM
Just I was listening to his Symphonic Variations from this Chandos series:

I couldn't believe I didn't remember how astounding this piece is! Very in the league of his Concerto for Orchestra, by coincidence.

This work simply blew me away, it's a feast for the orchestra. You need more than one listen to grasp it better. It's that terrific.

And of the works on that recording, I've never heard the Symphonic Variations! Sounds like it's definitely worth a listen. Adding to the very long "to hear" queue.

--Bruce

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 18, 2022, 07:53:21 PM
As great as the orchestral works are, I still hold the opinion that if you don't love Lutosławski's song cycles, then you don't love this composer's music. I honestly believe that no one could touch him in the late 20th Century when it comes these song cycles for voice and orchestra.

Not everyone loves late-20th century vocal music, John. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on February 28, 2022, 08:20:18 AM
Not everyone loves late-20th century vocal music, John. ;)

And it would definitely be their loss. ;)

Skogwald

Lutoslawski is one of my absolute favorite composers, his music is always beautiful, intense and surprising.

He was a good conductor, too, but I think his recordings have been surpassed by more powerful performances in most cases. Here are some of my favorite Luto discs:

DavidW

It has been a long time.  I should listen to some Lutoslawski.