Ginastera's Garden

Started by not edward, August 24, 2009, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on April 11, 2016, 05:05:04 AM
A lousy 7 and a half minutes in total was programmed for today on our national classical station.
Fortunately, Spanish National Radio has been dedicating a number of programs during March to Ginastera (within a seried called "Grandes ciclos"). I managed to catch today, in my car on the way to the airport, a splendid performance of the First piano sonata op. 22 by Gabriela Montero.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ritter on April 11, 2016, 08:51:00 AM
Fortunately, Spanish National Radio has been dedicating a number of programs during March to Ginastera (within a seried called "Grandes ciclos"). I managed to catch today, in my car on the way to the airport, a splendid performance of the First piano sonata op. 22 by Gabriela Montero.
Sounds marvellous! I am extremely puzzled why people here in Australia seem to give Ginastera a miss.....all except for the many many amateur and professional guitarists I've met who really love the sonata he wrote for guitar.

Scion7

While alive, in South America his music was performed regularly by people like Argerich.  And he was popularized for a while by Keith Emerson (Toccata.) But after he died, his popularity seemed to fade somewhat quickly.  He was an excellent composer and should be heard more often by more people.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Scion7 on April 12, 2016, 06:04:49 AM
While alive, in South America his music was performed regularly by people like Argerich.  And he was popularized for a while by Keith Emerson (Toccata.) But after he died, his popularity seemed to fade somewhat quickly.  He was an excellent composer and should be heard more often by more people.

Well, there should seriously be a Ginastera revival movement. It's bizarre to know that he isn't more popular these days. In my high school years he was considered simply another fairly major composer, we studied some of his music in music class, kids who learnt piano played his piano music, life was good.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on April 12, 2016, 01:16:12 PM
Well, there should seriously be a Ginastera revival movement. It's bizarre to know that he isn't more popular these days. In my high school years he was considered simply another fairly major composer, we studied some of his music in music class, kids who learnt piano played his piano music, life was good.

There should be a revival movement for A LOT of composers, Jessop, not just Ginastera, but I don't see Ginastera rising up in the ranks just because it's his centenary. He'll probably fall out of favor after the year is over (perhaps even sooner).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2016, 07:14:16 PM
There should be a revival movement for A LOT of composers, Jessop, not just Ginastera, but I don't see Ginastera rising up in the ranks just because it's his centenary. He'll probably fall out of favor after the year is over (perhaps even sooner).
But a Ginastera revival would just be so worth it! ;D

Spineur

Quote from: ritter on April 11, 2016, 08:51:00 AM
After some search, I found the 5 programs on France Musique devoted to Ginastera.  They start at 2:15 AM !!!  Clearly, Ginastera 100th aniversary inst exactly a priority here.  But thanks to the podcast technology, I downloaded the 2 that took place and will listen to them at a more reasonable hour.  This is timely, as I will be able to choose the Ginastera CD which I enjoy most.

For those interested, here are the first two podcast links
http://media.radiofrance-podcast.net/podcast09/13996-11.04.2016-ITEMA_20958501-0.mp3
http://media.radiofrance-podcast.net/podcast09/13996-12.04.2016-ITEMA_20959424-0.mp3
and the web pages with the description of the music played
http://www.francemusique.fr/emission/dans-l-air-du-soir/2015-2016/11-04-2016-04-11-2016-19-00
http://www.francemusique.fr/emission/dans-l-air-du-soir/2015-2016/alberto-ginastera-compositeur-argentin-1916-1983-emission-2-5-04-12-2016-19-00

Spineur

I listened with interest to all 5 podcasts, which gave me a much better overview of this composer and the main periods of his musical output.  These programs however did not light a burning interest with me.  Among the vocal pieces played in the program, I really enjoyed "la Canción del árbol del olvido", sung by José Cura

https://www.youtube.com/v/IIUAfj-zdJc

Since I do like this tenor a lot, but have only a single recording, I actually ordered

[asin]B00000DGWU[/asin]

He is argentinan and understand the music of his homeland better than anybody.

Scion7

The best string quartets ever composed by any artist south of Texas?

There's a nice NAXOS release out there by the Enso Quartet, too.

In 2000, Elan issued the complete Ginastera string quartets by the Cuarteto Latinoamericano.
This set was acquired by Brilliant Classics - with a garish sort of cover artwork.
But the original Elan release can be had:

[asin]B00004S663[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Spineur

Quote from: Guido on August 30, 2009, 07:03:13 AM
The cello sonata is absolutely wonderful, and I really like the first two string quartets too (the third has eluded my attempts to get to know it thus far.) The two cello concertos are rather discursive and hard on the ear - Nothing to immediately excite but I wouldn't want to write them off completely as I haven't listened to them that many times.
I decided to go beyond José Cura singing Ginastera and got this CD of his cello works.
Indeed the cello sonata is a beauty !  The transcription of the 5 canciones populares argentinas for the cello&piano work also very well.  Still not so thrilled by his Op. 21 Pampeana no 2 nor his hommage a Paul Sacher.

not edward

Quote from: Spineur on May 16, 2016, 02:01:58 PM
I decided to go beyond José Cura singing Ginastera and got this CD of his cello works.
Indeed the cello sonata is a beauty !  The transcription of the 5 canciones populares argentinas for the cello&piano work also very well.  Still not so thrilled by his Op. 21 Pampeana no 2 nor his hommage a Paul Sacher.
If you like the cello sonata, try Mark Kosower's recording of the second cello concerto, which is a much-expanded version of the sonata with orchestral accompaniment. I think it's my favourite of his concerti (along with the second piano concerto, which is in desperate need of a good recording).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

lescamil

Xiayin Wang has recently performed the second piano concerto on BBC Radio 3, a recording which will be released on Chandos. It was a good performance, definitely better than the Dora De Marinis, Hilde Somer, and Barbara Nissman recordings. Finally a pianist with the technique to handle it has played it and recorded it. My only quip is that she used the original ending of the concerto, which eliminates 10 or so bars of music.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

not edward

That's fantastic news... I can't wait.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

ritter

Cross-posted from the "New Releases" thread:

Quote from: ritter on June 26, 2016, 02:31:29 PM
This finally has been transferred to CD:

[asin]B01GW63TP8[/asin]
(There had been a limited edition on CD, sponsored by the Argentine consulate in Miami, but with very sloppy production standards).

not edward

More good Ginastera 2016 news, a CD recording of the Estudios sinfonicos is finally on the way: http://www.capriccio.at/alberto-ginastera-1916-1983

Release date is the 16th of August.

Maestro267

I've finally ordered a recording of the two Cello Concertos! Really looking forward to hearing them.

I have to say, I love Ginastera's tempo markings! He uses words I've never seen before, far more descriptive than standard tempo markings.

André

Quote from: lescamil on June 01, 2016, 08:35:03 AM
Xiayin Wang has recently performed the second piano concerto on BBC Radio 3, a recording which will be released on Chandos. It was a good performance, definitely better than the Dora De Marinis, Hilde Somer, and Barbara Nissman recordings. Finally a pianist with the technique to handle it has played it and recorded it. My only quip is that she used the original ending of the concerto, which eliminates 10 or so bars of music.

Bump.

Wang's performance can be heard on this disc from Chandos' excellent Ginastera series:

Coupled with the complete ballet, Panambí. If ever a ballet suite should be abandoned in favour of the complete work, this is it !

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 30, 2021, 03:22:13 PM
Bump.

Wang's performance can be heard on this disc from Chandos' excellent Ginastera series:

Coupled with the complete ballet, Panambí. If ever a ballet suite should be abandoned in favour of the complete work, this is it !

I've read a lot of mixed reviews regarding that Chandos series, Andre. I already own a good bit of Ginastera's music, but have been curious about this particular series. How do you find the performances of the ballets in comparison to Giselle Ben-Dor on Naxos (originally Conifer) for example?

André

I don't know what reviews you read, John ? Musicweb has 2 for this specific release and both are very positive (« The particular success of this recording - credit to both performers and the technical team here - is the subtle layers of detail and telling orchestral colour revealed ») .

I enjoyed this disc immensely. Performances are subtle and very sophisticated and the engineering stellar. I listened to (and reviewed in WAYL2) disc no 3 from this Chandos series in January of this year.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on June 30, 2021, 04:45:09 PM
I don't know what reviews you read, John ? Musicweb has 2 for this specific release and both are very positive (« The particular success of this recording - credit to both performers and the technical team here - is the subtle layers of detail and telling orchestral colour revealed ») .

I enjoyed this disc immensely. Performances are subtle and very sophisticated and the engineering stellar. I listened to (and reviewed in WAYL2) disc no 3 from this Chandos series in January of this year.

Thanks for the feedback, Andre. Here are two Hurwitz reviews from two discs of this series:

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/ginastera-comes-to-chandos-yawn/?search=1

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/mena-better-ginastera-ii/?search=1

He liked the recording you posted about earlier much more it seems or, at least, from his review.