Ginastera's Garden

Started by not edward, August 24, 2009, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Ginastera has given me great pleasure lately. His chamber works are proving to be something else. Earlier I took a listen to the Guitar Sonata, and again, a wondrous creation portraying vividly his Latin American soul. Amazing stuff.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 30, 2021, 06:17:40 PM
Ginastera has given me great pleasure lately. His chamber works are proving to be something else. Earlier I took a listen to the Guitar Sonata, and again, a wondrous creation portraying vividly his Latin American soul. Amazing stuff.

I think if more orchestras/chamber ensembles would schedule Latin American music on their concert programs, especially from Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Chávez, Revueltas and Guarnieri, then you would see an increased interest in this area of classical music.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2021, 06:23:13 PM
I think if more orchestras/chamber ensembles would schedule Latin American music on their concert programs, especially from Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Chávez, Revueltas and Guarnieri, then you would see an increased interest in this area of classical music.

++++1 - the neglect/ignorance of the sheer range and quality of CM from Latin America is mind-boggling.  Literally an entire continent is known by the last movement of Estancia and the Little Train of the Caipera (with a Bachianas Brasileiras and a Mexican Hat Dance thrown in too).  Gross exageration I know - but you get my drift!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 30, 2021, 11:32:05 PM
++++1 - the neglect/ignorance of the sheer range and quality of CM from Latin America is mind-boggling.  Literally an entire continent is known by the last movement of Estancia and the Little Train of the Caipera (with a Bachianas Brasileiras and a Mexican Hat Dance thrown in too).  Gross exageration I know - but you get my drift!

Absolutely!

Uhor

I'm listening to his last opera "Beatrix Cenci", which has all the avant-garde tricks from that time (1971): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS07-JVlzJo&t=743s

bhodges

A very fine performance of Ginastera's Violin Concerto with Hilary Hahn, with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony and conductor Andrés Orozco-Estrada. Unusual structure, opening with a remarkable cadenza for the violin alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UKzuLXhYCI

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Watching this, this week.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Looks very interesting, Karl. It seems that release isn't available in Europe :(

Good day to you.

Symphonic Addict

I found Popol Vuh and Cantata para América Mágica from this disc to be largely fascinating and both have a sort of ritualistic, ceremonial character that is quite effective. Ginastera proves to be a magician with the orchestra, especially the percussion section; those sonorities, textures and effects are something else.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky