5 Worst Composers Ever!!

Started by snyprrr, August 25, 2009, 09:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on August 25, 2009, 10:35:26 AM
He's better than a kick in the ass with a lead boot!

Visiting my parents, I was playing Gorecki's SQs when my father overheard he said that it sounded like dropping silverware. :'(

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe on August 25, 2009, 10:03:56 AM
Time to piss some people off!

James Horner, Messiaen, Pfitzner, Satie, J Strauss I

Horner - Glory and Rocketeer, both great scores so I can't list him among the worst
Messiaen - Well, I do have to be in a certain mood to enjoy him...but enjoy him I do
Pfitzner - Okay, I admit he's not easy to defend  ;D
Satie - understated brilliance, one of the greats
J Strauss - conjures up feminine elegance and cleavage...what's not to like  :D

I'm not pissed, Lethe, but I will pray for you...although I'll be reserving most of my time on behalf of Tapkaara, who really does need divine intervention  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Tapkaara

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 25, 2009, 10:37:35 AM

I'm not pissed, Lethe, but I will pray for you...although I'll reserving most of my time on behalf of Tapkaara, who really does need divine intervention  ;)

Sarge

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

snyprrr

I must say, Glazunov does shine bright here, come to think of it.

And yes, I started this thread BEFORE I stopped by the Diner today! I must've secretly been hoping that I would have made it onto the Worst Thread list.

However, have you noticed that there IS a general consenus about what constitutes a hateful composer. You have Glazunov, Gershwin, waltzing Strausses. Perhaps, whenever a composer who SHOULD be able to write more profoundly decides to just write highly crafted "normal" music, that is considered the ultimate sin?

I'm surprised no one has come to Webern's aide here? HOW DARE YOU, SIR!!! ;D

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 25, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
Glass is a great composer. I can't believe how much flak he gets!

aaarrghhh! ;D

Composers who suck are a good thing. It keeps the wallet happy and reminds one never to use the phrase "It's all good." I do my best to convince myself each day that another composer is unworthy of my hard earned $$$. I'm beginning to become convinced that the members here who laud everyone are simply trust fund brats who have an excess of kleenex cash.

Quote from: DavidW on August 25, 2009, 10:36:49 AM
Visiting my parents, I was playing Gorecki's SQs when my father overheard he said that it sounded like dropping silverware. :'(

Your father is a great man.

snyprrr

One of the things I enjoy about GMG is how I get to exhibit faux offence in the manner of one of those Victorian, mutton-chopped poofterers. How uncivilized! ;D

Tapkaara...just be thankful we haven't started the Worst Japanese Composers thread...yet!!! ;D haha

I hear that if you look in a mirror and mention Spohr five times, that the spirits of Ditters, Pfitzner, and Glazunov will break through the vortex and beat you senseless with a tepid fugue!

And I am just reminded to put George Crumb on the list, only because I can never seem to successfully play his music on the stereo with having to turn the volume up and down and up and down.

That reminds me...any composer that writes vocalizations into otherwise instrumental pieces, that composer sucks.

Any composer that uses the third retrograde of a tone row WITHOUT quantizing the valence of the rhythmic analyses... that composer also sucks!

Any composer on the CRI label has a greater chance of sucking than one on NewWorld.

And, honestly, Feldman can truly suck in a theoretical way. 6hrs.??? for an SQ??? That requires an ego that has truly left the building.

My hate has blinded me. :-X

Tapkaara

Quote from: snyprrr on August 25, 2009, 11:09:32 AM
One of the things I enjoy about GMG is how I get to exhibit faux offence in the manner of one of those Victorian, mutton-chopped poofterers. How uncivilized! ;D

Tapkaara...just be thankful we haven't started the Worst Japanese Composers thread...yet!!! ;D haha

I am VERY thankful.

Henk

Messiaen and Satie are two of my favourites.

My list:
Liszt, Schumann, Roussel ( ;D I noticed you like these three, I really don't like them), Albeniz, Wagner.

But 5 is not enough. Others: Kagel, Schoenberg, Webern and all late-romantic composers.

Wanderer

Are you people for real? I thought all these lists were compiled in jest!  :P $:)

karlhenning

Bring that hammer down, Tasos8)

Dr. Dread

I assure you! I never je...

Oh, wait...

ChamberNut

C'mon...you really want to make someone mad?  This is how we do it!

1. JS Bach
2. JS Bach
3. JS Bach
4. JS Bach
5. JS Bach

;D

Bulldog

I'm going to extract my 5 from the ArkivMusic list of most popular composers.  I don't consider these five to be the worst composers, just the 5 from the list that I least appreciate:

Vivaldi
Paganini
Delibes
Bernstein
Kreisler

karlhenning

Better Worst Composers, Through Science, Don.

— Yours, too, Ray  8)

Tapkaara

Quote from: Bulldog on August 25, 2009, 11:36:17 AM
I'm going to extract my 5 from the ArkivMusic list of most popular composers.  I don't consider these five to be the worst composers, just the 5 from the list that I least appreciate:

Vivaldi
Paganini
Delibes
Bernstein
Kreisler

I concur with Berstein and Vivaldi.

Dr. Dread

karlhenning

Well, where the worst composers intersect with the worst music, of course . . . .

Lethevich

Quote from: Henk on August 25, 2009, 11:19:56 AM
Liszt, Schumann, Roussel ( ;D I noticed you like these three, I really don't like them)

*makes a note to bring a phial of cyanide next time I visit the Netherlands...* 0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Superhorn

For me it would be Vivaldi, who didn't write 500 concertos but the same concerto 500 times, Gounod, whose music is as bland as white bread, Poulenc, whose music is insufferably cutesy pie most of the time, Kurt Weill, whose name should be Kurt Vile, (except for his early works which are somewhat better), and John Cage, who didn't really produce compositions, but just a collection of gimmicks.

:P                  ::)                   >:(

CD

Hans Zimmer is much worse than Horner!

Lethevich

Quote from: corey on August 25, 2009, 12:58:15 PM
Hans Zimmer is much worse than Horner!

Is he the synthesized chorus guy? His name rings a bell.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.