Extreme instrumental musique concrète

Started by Mandryka, January 10, 2021, 02:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Hypnagogia (after Bach)

Hynagogia is about being sleep-deprived on long-haul flights, listening to Bach in this state of half-sleep, where dreams begin to intrude on waking life (ie hynagogia). In one of these states, during one of many long trips to Australia, I heard the last movement of Bach's Matthew Passion in the revving of the engines – when inside the cabin, one can hear these descending 3rds and 6ths in their harmonics, falling but never resolving. Hynagogia is a remix/recomposition of an earlier approach to this material, Lines of Flight, but with the expanded possibilities of MiMU sensor gloves, which allow the lines of delays to be controlled through motion, and allow samples of the synthesizers to be played, allowing me to take flight from the instrument. The work and its predecessor are part of a series I've called Transformations, in which musical materials transitions between a synthesizer and keyboard, with various technologies facilitating this fluidity of identity. As with all the works in this series, it is dedicated to my partner, George, and his strength and courage when undergoing his own transition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmGtmoULLY&ab_channel=ZubinKanga

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen