Bob Dylan: A Class Act

Started by Dr. Dread, August 28, 2009, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Quote from: MN Dave on August 28, 2009, 04:59:19 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE57P4NG20090826

Omigod! A Jewish guy with a terrible voice singing Christmas carols?? ;D  
Actually, that's great, and it should make a ton of money. I think that anyone with a lot of money has an obligation to give to charity, whether global or local. Those of us with less should also "give back," if at all possible, even if it's just throwing some change into the Salvation Army bucket. End of sermon.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Josquin des Prez

Generally speaking, you can tell when an artist's career is on its last breath when they start releasing Christmas albums.

Elgarian

You can just never predict what he will do next. He was, after all, generally regarded as the coolest guy on the planet round about 1965/66, and I rather suspect he never did stop being that, and probably still doesn't. He does what he does, whatever we might think (thank goodness).

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Elgarian on August 28, 2009, 08:02:45 AM
He was, after all, generally regarded as the coolest guy on the planet round about 1965/66

Which actually means he was and is an over-rated hack. His career plummeted the moment he could no longer ride on the political wave of the 60s.

Franco

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on August 28, 2009, 08:07:09 AM
Which actually means he was and is an over-rated hack. His career plummeted the moment he could no longer ride on the political wave of the 60s.

I see, you are clueless in other areas as well.  

Bob Dylan making a holiday record and earmarking the profits for charity is simply a good thing for any artist to do.  It bespeaks, on his part, some sense of "giving back" as he enters the last stage of his career - which by all estimation has been one of a creative and commercial success.  

I will occasionally put his playlist on my iPod and am still amazed at his artistry.  His last record was one of his best.

Dr. Dread

I have to agree with the other guys, JdP. I don't think you know what you're talking about in this instance. Dylan does whatever he wants and he always has. This Christmas album is a generous gesture on his part and has nothing to do with his album sales which are as solid as ever.

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on August 28, 2009, 08:45:47 AM
This Christmas album is a generous gesture on his part and has nothing to do with his album sales which are as solid as ever.

Heck, even I bought a Dylan CD this year!

Bulldog

I've always considered Dylan a wonderful folk/rock artist, and it is good to see his charitable side.  However, I can't think well of a jewish person putting out a Christmas disc.

Dr. Dread

Elgarian

Quote from: Bulldog on August 28, 2009, 09:37:21 AM
However, I can't think well of a jewish person putting out a Christmas disc.

Don't forget he's pretty much had a go at everything, including a blistering conversion to Christianity which carried him through the early 1980s.

Dr. Dread

I recently purchased a book on his zen attributes. Haven't read it yet...

Elgarian

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on August 28, 2009, 08:07:09 AM
His career plummeted the moment he could no longer ride on the political wave of the 60s.

There are no facts to support you, there, and an enormous accumulation of them against you. As an immensely inventive artist, he's found ways of rediscovering his art throughout his life. Many people think that in the mid 1970s he reached a peak of magnitude comparable to the one in the 60s, and knowing the material from that period, I can understand why. For myself, I  feel that around 1995-2002 he was reaching levels of almost unprecedented creative brilliance in his live performances and reworkings of earlier material; but most people simply aren't aware that it was happening. (If they weren't at the shows, or if they didn't hear the bootlegs, how could they be?)

Dr. Dread

Yep. Bob is a force of nature. You're either along for the ride, or not. He don't care.

Elgarian

Quote from: MN Dave on August 28, 2009, 11:21:41 AM
Yep. Bob is a force of nature. You're either along for the ride, or not. He don't care.

Crikey, I wish I'd said that. Perfect, Dave.

Bulldog

Quote from: Elgarian on August 28, 2009, 11:08:44 AM
Don't forget he's pretty much had a go at everything, including a blistering conversion to Christianity which carried him through the early 1980s.

Yes, I well remember his flaky religious meanderings.  But it's the music that counts, and my views on that subject are the opposite of JdP's.

Harpo

Quote from: MN Dave on August 28, 2009, 10:14:21 AM
Jewish by birth alone.

I am also nominally Jewish by birth, but have also been a choral singer for..um...almost 50 years. Early on I asked myself if I wanted to sing pieces that were primarily Christian--Requiems, Masses, oratorios--and decided that good music is good music, and I would be musically poorer if I didn't sing these works. Perhaps Dylan feels the same way--though I will be upset if he includes "Here Comes Santa Claus."
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Dr. Dread

He is a huge folk music fan (of course) and some would say Christmas songs fall under that category.

Elgarian

You better watch out, you better not cry,
Better not pout, I'm tellin' you why,
Santa Claus is blowin' in the wind.

You see, it only requires a small adjustment here and there.

Dr. Dread

Maybe I should have said "traditional" songs.