Author Topic: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?  (Read 312084 times)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
Re: What Opera Are You Listening to Now?
« Reply #2160 on: October 20, 2020, 03:09:04 AM »

Enjoyable enough, but nowhere likely to challenge the Bonynge set with Sutherland and Pavarotti. First of all, this being live, there is quite a lot of stage noise. Anderson often sounds a bit like Sutherland, but she doesn't have Sutherland's sparkle, or her sheer vocal beauty and dexterity. She has no trill and intonation is occasionally suspect (she ends "Il faut partir" terfibly flat). Kraus is something of a miracle. Just shy of his sixtieth birthday at the time of this performance, he executes its difficulties, including those top Cs with an ease that would be the envy of many a younger man, added to which his singing is, as always, stylish and refined. However, there is no denying his tone has dried out a bit and his voice is nowhere as sappy as Pavarotti at his best.

I'm sure I'd have enjoyed this performance had I been at the theatre, but it is no competition for the Bonynge set, which was recorded in the studio but based on performances at Covent Garden.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2161 on: October 20, 2020, 07:38:54 AM »
Thanks Bruce for that link and others for your comments.

And, yes, RS, what a great night at the opera that must have been for you!

I'll keep an eye out for a copy of the CD--or DVD.

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  The copy that I have (on CD) is the one with Peter Pears.

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #2162 on: October 20, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
Ghosts of Versailles by John Corigliano:

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2163 on: October 20, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
I remember being wowed when watching this video (on youtube) years ago by Milnes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHOJCdfBFQg

Nice to read your operatic comments, as always, TL.  :)  Like you, I always come back to Callas as being my ultimate favorite re Tosca.  I have her live recording with Pretre and her other one with De Sabata.  Haven't listened to my Leontyne Price/Karajan recording in some time.  Will have to revisit that one.  I'm a huge fan of her Aida as well as her singing overall.

Well, I finally got around to watching Britten's Peter Grimes with Jon Vickers.  Excellent!  Thoroughly loved it!  Really impressed by Jon Vickers singing and acting--extremely powerful and poignant at times.  Also, by the compassion and restraint of Heather Harper's character and singing.  I wasn't able to get my little mitts on the Met DVD but did get ahold of the Kultur one which was filmed at the Royal Opera House with Heather Harper, etc.  Particularly impressed by the characters/acting/and singing of Capt. Balstrode (Norman Bailey) and I believe the characters name was Mrs. Sedley (Patricia Payne)...the opium addicted (via Laudanum) character who keeps ranting (and gossiping) about Peter Grimes' crimes and guilt.  Time well spent.  The only negative:  it was filmed in 1981, so the picture is rather more grainy and blurred than I would like, but hey, I adapted to it.  ;)  Enjoyed, too, the shots of the opera (and the conductor) during the interludes and the passacaglia.

PD

EDIT:  Sorry, I had meant to type "orchestra" rather than "opera" re the interludes and the passacaglia.

Interesting that you picked out Bailey's Balstrode.  In the theatre the moment when he speaks to Peter and says; "Sail out 'till you lose sight of the Moot Hall then sink the boat, D'you hear?  Sink her!  Good-bye Peter." was extraordinarily powerful and moving.  A real coup de theatre.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #2164 on: October 21, 2020, 12:02:03 AM »
Ghosts of Versailles by John Corigliano:

I really enjoyed this opera when I saw the video of the original production, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available at the moment. It had a pretty starry cast that included Teresa Stratas, Renee Fleming, Hakan Hagegard, Gino Quilico and Marilyn Horne!

How is this one?
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #2165 on: Today at 12:31:14 PM »
I felt a sudden urge—as happens every so often—to listen to one of my favourite pieces of music ever, the sublime third act of Die Meistersinger. This time around , I pulled out the 1957 broadcast from Bayreuth conducted by André Cluytens:

Even with the subpar sound, the magnificence of this music shines through. This act is miraculous: the prelude, David’s entrance and his “Am Jordan Sankt Johannes stand”, the “Wahn!” monologue, the interlude preceding Beckmesser’s appearance, and everything from the quintet to the jubilant end...
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je recommence ma vie
Je suis né pour te connaître
Pour te nommer

Liberté »