Author Topic: What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
Re: What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 06:11:55 AM »
New acquirement, first listen.

French Music for Ballet.

Henri Sauguet.
Les Forains.

Jules Massenet.
Ballet Suite from Herodiade.

Jacques Ibert.
Les Amours de Jupiter.

Estonia National SO, Neeme Järvi

This is for one great feast. Such fine Ballet music, expertly played and recorded. Ballet is my first love in classical music, and in this I wallow in this brand new release.
Modify message
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Re: What Ballet Music Are You Listening To Now?
« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:31:04 AM »
Lately I've been exploring some versions of Stravinsky's Apollo, and have heard some excellent recent ones (such as a livestream last week from Daniel Harding and the Concertgebouw).

Last weekend, the great dancer Jacques d'Amboise died, at age 86. (In the U.S., he may be best recalled for his work in the film Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.) But I had forgotten that he was known for Apollo. As usual, YouTube to the rescue: Here's a 1960 video, with d'Amboise in the version choreographed by George Balanchine, and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJRt1DVa0I

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY