What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 27, 2024, 12:42:12 AMI went to see the ROHCG live relay of Madama Butterfly last night with Asmik Grigorian in the title role.  Never encountered her name before let alone her singing.  Very impressive in every respect - wonderfully wide dynamic range with voice in full control throughout.  But also here acting - both physical and vocal was genuinely compelling.  A great quality of stillness.  Joshua Guerrero as Pinkerton good but not at Grigorian's level and Lauri Vasar as Sharpless vocally watery and lacking acting presence.  Hongni Wu as Suzuki the other vocal stand-out performance.  Kevin John Edusei's conducting certainly controlled but perhaps a little too measured at points but lacking a Karajan's "long view" slow burn intensity.....

Thanks for the comments. Grigorian will also be singing the opera at the Met this season, and it'll be part of their "Live in HD" series on May 11th.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Tsaraslondon

Now this was a stroke of luck. I ordered the set from an Amazon seller, but when it arrived, It turned out to be just the second disc. I informed the seller and they apologised for the mistake, refunded me, telling me to keep the disc. I still wanted to get hold of the complete set, so checked eBay and, lo and behold., someone was selling just the first disc. So now I have the whole opera at a bargain price.

I used to own the recording on LP and decided to try and get hold of it again after reviewing the recent lacklustre Naxos set. This one, based on actual performances at the Aix-en-Provence festival, is in a different world. Caballé and the young Carreras are both in splendid voice, Masterson and inspired choice as Matilde and Ugo Benelli is also excellent as Norfolk. Masini conducts with a deal more affection too.

I haven't heard the Opera Rara set, but it will have to be very special to improve on this one.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

ritter

Good to tras, Tsaras. I ordered that set from Melomanía in Paris some weeks ago, but still haven't listened to it. Your praise of the recording makes want to listen to it sooner rather than later.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 27, 2024, 07:16:13 AM

Now this was a stroke of luck. I ordered the set from an Amazon seller, but when it arrived, It turned out to be just the second disc. I informed the seller and they apologised for the mistake, refunded me, telling me to keep the disc. I still wanted to get hold of the complete set, so checked eBay and, lo and behold., someone was selling just the first disc. So now I have the whole opera at a bargain price.

I used to own the recording on LP and decided to try and get hold of it again after reviewing the recent lacklustre Naxos set. This one, based on actual performances at the Aix-en-Provence festival, is in a different world. Caballé and the young Carreras are both in splendid voice, Masterson and inspired choice as Matilde and Ugo Benelli is also excellent as Norfolk. Masini conducts with a deal more affection too.

I haven't heard the Opera Rara set, but it will have to be very special to improve on this one.

Wow!  What incredible luck you had!
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

A quick p.s.  Some years ago I was digging through some CDs at a charity shop, and I found a CD of Thomas Quasthoff's.  The booklet was signed  8) ; however there was no CD in there.  The guy at the shop let me have it for free.  Now I just need to find a CD of it!
Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 27, 2024, 07:45:16 AMWow!  What incredible luck you had!

This issue was packaged as two separate CDs in their own jewel cases so I suppose the mistake was easy to make. I wonder if they were from the same collection that somehow got split up.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 27, 2024, 07:58:04 AMThis issue was packaged as two separate CDs in their own jewel cases so I suppose the mistake was easy to make. I wonder if they were from the same collection that somehow got split up.
That's what I was thinking! lol

I suspect in my case that someone had misplaced the CD and that s/he didn't notice that when donating (or someone else was donating their music after the original owner had passed on?).

Pohjolas Daughter

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 27, 2024, 08:05:16 AMThat's what I was thinking! lol

I suspect in my case that someone had misplaced the CD and that s/he didn't notice that when donating (or someone else was donating their music after the original owner had passed on?).

Sounds likely.

VonStupp

Quote from: Wendell_E on March 27, 2024, 01:01:12 AMThey didn't marry, though they did have a long-term relationship after she and Lewis divorced.

Ah! Oh the tangled webs we weave...
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."