General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on July 30, 2008, 08:01:58 PM
Want to try a brand new music and opera forum? Try this one, at least have a look - HE won't bite!

Really? I guess you didn't read this:

Way t'go, David! Seems like one of the GMG morons managed to find his way over here after reading your comment there that I just started a new classical music and opera forum. Good thing you didn't supply a link, otherwise we might have had a GMG moron inundation to deal with here.

Oh well, no real harm done. Online forum morons do have a certain entertainment value, do they not... ACD

The full thread can be viewed here http://cmandof.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17  Two of our most illustrious members are mentioned by name.

From what I've read this new forum exists solely as a place for David Zalman and ACD to make love to each other. I won't be joining them  ;D  ACD doesn't appear to have any special insight into Wagner anyway if this nonsense is typical of the man:

"Wagner's musico-dramatic and symphonic contrapuntal genius is almost always realized in the massing, rarely in details of inner line (Meistersinger is an exception), and Böhm's transparent and razor-edge-precise readings of Wagner wherein the revealing of inner line is prominent are therefore just plain wrong (i.e., un-Wagnerian). They're wrong because while precision and the revealing of inner line in the music of, say, Mozart or Beethoven is to reveal the very soul of the music, precision and the revealing of inner line in Wagner's music serves only to reveal how the sorcerer accomplished his magic."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

uffeviking

It seems Hector came through with his thread to post his childish nonsense at the new forum!

Certainly you, Sergeant, don't believe for a minute ACD posted this diatribe?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on July 31, 2008, 07:35:05 AM
It seems Hector came through with his thread to post his childish nonsense at the new forum!

The post I quoted says by ACD.

Sarge

uffeviking

No Way! ACD is more intelligent than to engage in such a childish prank and use this kind of language.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on July 31, 2008, 07:48:51 AM
No Way! ACD is more intelligent than to engage in such a childish prank and use this kind of language.

In my first post on this topic I added a link to the thread I quote. Check it out. ACD is replying to a Zalman post, trashing this forum and its members.

Sarge

Wanderer

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 31, 2008, 08:51:55 AM
In my first post on this topic I added a link to the thread I quote. Check it out. ACD is replying to a Zalman post, trashing this forum and its members.

They sure use the word "moron" a lot over there.  GMG must have really hurt them. Somehow.
I don't recall that ACD character being here at all which, seeing his posts on the linked page, is just as well. What was his nickname here?

Hector

Quote from: uffeviking on July 31, 2008, 07:35:05 AM

I didn't "come through" with any thread. I had never entered the site until Sarge posted the link.

I suspect that both Sarge and myself remember the nonsense from both Zalman and ACD(...iatribe) in the past (I used to think that they were one and the same).

Sorry, uffebaby, you've fingered the wrong guy and I'm sorry my lack of enthusiasm for somebody you, clearly, admire, should prompt an insult.

uffeviking

Hectordarling, my apology for having offended you and thereby eliminated your previous affection for me by accusing you of a misdeed you are innocent of! All a matter of misreading and confusing posts at two different fora.

Feel better now? We still friends?  :-[

knight66

I followed the link, if that thread is the standard, then I see no point in reading more. Some gush, a deal of sycophancy and a fair bit of bitchery. Oh yes, I almost forgot about the buckets of smugness. A load of docking and frotting really.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Hector

Quote from: uffeviking on August 05, 2008, 05:54:55 AM
Hectordarling, my apology for having offended you and thereby eliminated your previous affection for me by accusing you of a misdeed you are innocent of! All a matter of misreading and confusing posts at two different fora.

Feel better now? We still friends?  :-[

Of course :-*

uffeviking

Opera, The magazine for every opera lover, is now available here:

http://www.opera.co.uk/

I have been a subscriber for over fifteen years and enjoyed and saved every issue. The reviews by respected critics like Andrew Porter, Hugh Canning and Rodney Milnes, the chairman of Opera are invaluable.

uffeviking

knight66

And speaking of Bayreuth: here is an item from Sat. London Times about the possibility of Wolfgang Wagner finally stepping down as Director....as long as the Foundation makes the decision he wants. If they don't he may resind his resignation, having been previously granted his job for life. A sort of Anti-Pope in a way. I hope they have more sense than to appoint another Director for life.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4636881.ece

Mike

Hector

Quote from: knight on August 31, 2008, 12:21:17 PM
And speaking of Bayreuth: here is an item from Sat. London Times about the possibility of Wolfgang Wagner finally stepping down as Director....as long as the Foundation makes the decision he wants. If they don't he may resind his resignation, having been previously granted his job for life. A sort of Anti-Pope in a way. I hope they have more sense than to appoint another Director for life.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4636881.ece

Mike

Me, I'd go for the blonde ;D

David Zalman

Quote from: knight on August 31, 2008, 12:21:17 PM

Mike

Wolfgang Wagner submitted his official written resignation to the Stiftungsrat (the board of the foundation which has executive control of the Bayreuth Festival) at the end of April.  It's final and cannot be rescinded by him no matter what.

But that's all moot now.  The Stiftungsrat has today appointed the new directors of the Festival, and its decision is final.

Details here.

knight66

From The Press Association...

"Welsh opera legend plans to retire
17 hours ago

Welsh singing legend Bryn Terfel is planning to bow out while still at the top and retire within three years.

The opera singer, 42, believes his voice has never been in better shape but he is anxious to walk away with his reputation as a performer intact.

The unexpected announcement will be greeted with dismay by Terfel's legion of fans around the world."

Very sketchy piece. Last week I read his discussion of his plans for various Wagner appearances that stretched way beyond three years. He did also say that he had no plans at all for any complete opera recordings on CD. He hoped someone would record his Wotan and mentioned an impending appearance in Gergiev's Ring cycle.

Mike

Sarastro

Quote from: knight on September 12, 2008, 10:26:59 PM
The unexpected announcement will be greeted with dismay by Terfel's legion of fans around the world.

I am dismayed!! :o This is... unbelievable and very sad. Anyway, his decision...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*five minutes later*

No panic, this is not true. :D

QuoteWelsh opera singer Bryn Terfel has denied reports he plans to retire within three years, saying he will be "slowing down".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7609566.stm

QuoteWelsh baritone Bryn Terfel is reassuring his fans that he's not leaving, after hinting in an interview published this week that he has retirement in sight.

Representatives for the 42-year-old singer said Thursday that Terfel has simply been reducing his workload so as to have more time with his wife and children. They emphatically said that the opera world star has no intention to retire from the stage, revealing that his current commitments take him up until 2014.

Terfel's longtime agent, Doreen O'Neill, told the Western Mail on Thursday that the singer has simply been shifting his work-life balance and was not set to retire. "As you get older you can actually say no to things," she said. "It's just a matter of balancing the opera and the concert work so he gets more free time with his family."

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/theatre/story/2008/09/12/terfel-bryn-opera.html?ref=rss

Anne

Terfel has often said he wanted to spend more time with his family.  I may be wrong on this but I seem to recall a time when one of his children was born and he went home to be with his wife.  People were dismayed that he would not be singing at their performance.  I thought he made the right decision and rejoiced for him and his family.

Anne

Sorry for putting a private message on the public board but I can't reply to Liz' note.  It says she doesn't exist and won't send her a message.

Anyway, Liz, don't worry about the deletion.  I forgot what I had written anyway. - Anne 

Wanderer

Some spectacular views of the new Oslo Opera House, here8)