Author Topic: General Opera News  (Read 212925 times)

kaergaard

Re: General Opera News
« Reply #540 on: February 27, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
How to classify it: Opera or Film? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYdIgZ40Xhw&feature=player_embedded

You decide:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465491/

In any case, can't wait to see it; with Maltman in the title role and Holten the director, can't go wrong!

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #541 on: February 27, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
That trailer makes me really want to see it - I've never liked the opera-film genre (as opposed to filmed live productions) because it's never filmic enough (not to mention the often terrible "stagey" acting), but this looks really well done. It could be a bit gratuitous or ott, but this is a trailer, and they always are for stories as raunchy and violent as Don Giovanni. Will definitely look it out!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:23:40 PM by Guido. »
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

kaergaard

« Reply #542 on: February 27, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
It could be somewhat in the style of the old Losey film with Rugero Raimondi, but Holten ain't no Losey! - If you have seen his Copenhagen Ring of the Nibelung you know what I mean. -  ;)

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #543 on: February 27, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
I haven't, so don't really know what you mean. Care to elaborate?  :)
Geologist.

kaergaard

« Reply #544 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »

jlaurson

« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:02 AM »

Ionarts-at-Large: A Midget, Frogs, and Broken Tea Cups

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/03/ionarts-at-large-midget-frogs-and.html

I love the music of Zemlinsky. How superb to hear his “The Dwarf”. Too bad it’s not a particularly good opera...

Offline Harry Powell

• Do you know the story about hate and love?
    • My blog
« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of German post Wagnerism, but consider "The Dwarf" an appealing opera: much more valuable than simple craftmanship.
That production seems to be incredibly stupid.S
I'm not an native English speaker, so please feel free to let me know if I'm not expressing myself clearly.

jlaurson

« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of German post Wagnerism, but consider "The Dwarf" an appealing opera: much more valuable than simple craftmanship.
That production seems to be incredibly stupid.S

Well, the music or the drama or both? On CD or on stage?
I was a little disappointed (obviously)... but then a better staging might have made more of it. It didn't seem up to any of the Schreker I have seen staged, though.
Still, very valuable to have had the opportunity to see/hear it.

Offline Harry Powell

• My blog
« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
It was staged in Seville three years ago and made a great impression even if it shared the performance with Zemlinsky's "Eine Florentinische Tragödie".
There's a remarkable recording of a Paris performance by Conlon.
I'm not an native English speaker, so please feel free to let me know if I'm not expressing myself clearly.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Operaplot 2011 is underway
« Reply #549 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
The 2011 #Operaplot contest is underway, and this year the judge is the bass-baritone Eric Owens. More details on The Omniscient Mussel (whose creator hosts the contest). They have quite a few nice prizes, e.g., tickets to operas around the world.

If you want to see some of the entries--many already pretty funny--just go to Twitter and search for #operaplot, and all the entries will miraculously appear. A few examples (I love the last one):

- "You need anything dusted? Swept? OK, we'll just...stare at the harbor all day again," Suzuki says, mentally updating her résumé.
- You stole my husband? So I stole him first, big deal. Rot in hell. I’m off to meet the executioner.
- Whatever, Tatyana. Too long, didn't read.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Harry Powell

• My blog
« Reply #550 on: July 16, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
I'm very sad to announce that, according to some sources, Cornell MacNeil has died.

He was the greatest Verdi baritone in the Postwar years and a favourite of mine.

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #551 on: July 23, 2011, 02:01:50 AM »
Dallas Opera cancels Káťa Kabanová.  Press release here:  http://blog.dallasopera.org/2011/07/22/the-dallas-opera-announces/

I've planned a November trip to Texas:  Fidelio (with Mattila) in Houston, the Stephanie Miller Sexy Liberal Tour in Austin, and Káťa in Dallas.  I'd even ordered the study score, which just arrived a couple of days ago.  Oh, well.  Less driving for me.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
James Levine Withdraws from Met Through End of 2012-2013 Season
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
Sad. Alex Ross has the full statement here.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
On the up side, it reads as though he should make an eventual recovery. I had rather assumed that his conducting career was over.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline zdic

« Reply #554 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
Rising baritone star, newcomer Piotr Prochera

http://www.youtube.com/user/PiotrProchera?feature=mhee

jlaurson

« Reply #555 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »

Happy 53rd Birthday, Rossini

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-53rd-birthday-rossini.html

Fifty-three is no age for a composer and so it is little wonder that Rossini - or at least
 his music - is alive and well. Born on February 29th, 1792, Gioachino Antonio Rossini soon
discovered a penchant and talent in culinary appreciation as well as note-churning. The latter
he put to use for the creation of almost 40 operas, the former to support his stately
appearance...

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #556 on: February 29, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
Nice article Jens. There's lots I don't/didn't know about Rossini, except that I greatly enjoy his music. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #557 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:35 AM »
Well, he's not going to tell us that, if it were so. I think it's pretty much over, though.
(Without a steady supply of chorister boys, his powers of recuperation will quickly wane.)
Luisi is a very handy stand-in for the MET; people will be surprised (and possibly Luisi among them) when the MD-ship of the MET goes to Pappano, not Luisi, though.

I was pretty sure that non of that was ever proven or substantiated, the stuff with the young boys.

Where's this Pappano Met rumour come from? We need him here in London! Wonder who would take over if Pappano did leave the ROH? Jurowski?
Geologist.

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #558 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »
It was never brought to a court of law, if that's what you mean.

Re: Pappano... I have no idea who might follow him at the ROH, if Pappano were to go to the MET in the first place.

Where are you getting this info?! Hope we get to keep Pappano.

With the Levine stuff - I was under the impression that aside from a whispered rumour, no one actually came forward, which seems remarkable in these days if there's compensation to be had. Of course it may all have been covered up, but seems unlikely that nothing was leaked to the press in 30 years in a case as high profile as this. Unless you have special information...!
Geologist.