General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

From NPR this morning, an excellent piece on The Island We Made, a new production by Opera Philadelphia (with nods to the company's innovation in general), from composer Angélica Negrón.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/19/978900735/the-island-we-made-lip-sync-opera-and-high-drag-sing-an-ode-to-mothers

--Bruce

Wendell_E

Like many, I suffer from "not-another-Bohème" syndrome, but I don't know if Michigan Opera Theatre's solution's for next season is a good idea:

QuoteIn a historic first, [Artistic Director Yuval] Sharon and MOT extract hope from tragedy, life from death, and love from loneliness by staging Puccini's tragic opera in reverse order—starting with Act IV and ending with Act I.

It will be a co-production with Boston Lyric Opera.

Full 2021-22 season announcement: https://michiganopera.org/michigan-opera-theatre-announces-2021-22-season/
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

André

Well, it would certainly end the evening on a high note !

Wendell_E

Quote from: André on March 28, 2021, 05:25:42 AM

:laugh:
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wendell_E on March 28, 2021, 04:44:25 AM
Like many, I suffer from "not-another-Bohème" syndrome, but I don't know if Michigan Opera Theatre's solution's for next season is a good idea:

It will be a co-production with Boston Lyric Opera.

Full 2021-22 season announcement: https://michiganopera.org/michigan-opera-theatre-announces-2021-22-season/
???

Quote from: André on March 28, 2021, 05:25:42 AM
Booooo!  :laugh:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wendell_E

The Met website has posted pictures of their upcoming (April) new production of Lucia di Lammermoor. I'm guessing some of their patrons will not be pleased.  :laugh:

https://www.metopera.org/season/2021-22-season/lucia-di-lammermoor/

WWCT? [What would Callas think?]

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wendell_E on January 24, 2022, 03:14:49 AM
The Met website has posted pictures of their upcoming (April) new production of Lucia di Lammermoor. I'm guess some of their patrons will not be pleased.  :laugh:

https://www.metopera.org/season/2021-22-season/lucia-di-lammermoor/

WWCT? [What would Callas think?]
It could work.  Much better to have a change of setting and/or time than to have an uber minimalist production with virtually no scenery--in my opinion anyway.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wendell_E

idia legray

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 08:02:48 AM
It could work.  Much better to have a change of setting and/or time than to have an uber minimalist production with virtually no scenery--in my opinion anyway.  :)

PD
If you are into a story that has little to do with the composer's intent, you might like this nutty production that has little to do with the sensitivity of Lucia who in no way would ever wear jeans and leather jacket.  The excesses to which this production went, like not just a bloodstained gown but an entire dress engorged with blood from head to toe (like we get it!), were an embarrassment to the point that the producers who dared come out for the curtain call at the end were swiftly booed by an insulted audience -- their smiling faces slowly drained of expression.
Having said that, if you close your eyes and simply listen to the singers you will be amply rewarded.  Their voices, each and every one, were superb.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Todd on September 05, 2022, 07:22:59 AM
Irene Theorin Gives Middle Finger to Booing Audience at Bayreuth Festival

Whether she was right or wrong, her gesture was inappropriate anyway; there is no point in countering something she considered rude by being rude herself. And to tell the truth, I think the audience can't be completely blamed for booing: the staging for Wagner's Ring was really questionable, and vocally and musically, the performances were good, but not extraordinary and unfogettable. Definitely not the standard expected for Bayreuth.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Wanderer

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 08:02:48 AMIt could work.  Much better to have a change of setting and/or time than to have an uber minimalist production with virtually no scenery--in my opinion anyway.  :)

PD

I disagree. Gratuitous and unrelated to the plot changes of setting/time are only there to impose the director's unrelated to the work views on the audience, which can be distracting, distasteful and annoying in varying degrees of combination, whereas a minimalist production, one that distills the theatrical aspect to its absolute essentials while otherwise staying true to the work, gives center stage to the music and allows the audience to focus on the composer's intent and not the director's. Certainly a minimalist production is the lesser evil here.

Wanderer

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 05, 2022, 02:07:44 PMthe staging for Wagner's Ring was really questionable... Definitely not the standard expected for Bayreuth.

I have the impression that, sadly, that's exactly the standard expected of Bayreuth these days. They have uncritically bought into and embraced all the embarrassing excesses of the infestation that is modern German Regietheater. Doubly embarrassing, if one thinks that Bayreuth is there to supposedly serve Wagner's vision first and foremost, a vision which one would think also includes the staging of his works.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Wanderer on March 27, 2023, 11:04:27 PMI have the impression that, sadly, that's exactly the standard expected of Bayreuth these days. They have uncritically bought into and embraced all the embarrassing excesses of the infestation that is modern German Regietheater. Doubly embarrassing, if one thinks that Bayreuth is there to supposedly serve Wagner's vision first and foremost, a vision which one would think also includes the staging of his works.
Sadly true. I haven't read information about this year performances, but I don't expect anything better than last year. :(
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on March 27, 2023, 11:04:27 PMall the embarrassing excesses of the infestation that is modern German Regietheater.

I'm actually surprised no Regietheater guy or girl attempted any Meyerbeer yet, the possibilities are huge. Imagine: Les Huguenots set in Myanmar, Catholics replaced by Buddhists and Protestants by Rohyngia, or Le Prophete set in Afghanistan, Jan de Leyden replaced by Mullah Omar.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Wendell_E

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 08, 2023, 05:45:13 AMR.I.P., Grace Bumbry

https://wien.orf.at/stories/3206389/
Sorry to hear that.  I've really enjoyed her recordings over the years--particularly her Eboli in Don Carlo.  This is a lovely set:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Charles Nelson Reilly, a man I know as a stagey comedic film and theatrical actor now mainly known from the 70's-era Match Game, was a closet student and director of Opera in the US.

The interview linked below discusses his love and training in opera. I had no idea he had such a strong foot in the world of opera, even if only in a regional capacity.  He tends to name drop, but it is fun to hear him talk about the stars of yesteryear and his particular soloist preferences in opera productions and recordings.

VS

Charles Nelson Reilly directs Rossini's Cinderella (Interview)
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on May 20, 2023, 01:54:00 PMCharles Nelson Reilly, a man I mainly know as a stagey comedic film and theatrical actor know from the 70's-era Match Game, was a closet student and director of Opera in the US.

The interview linked below discusses his love and training in opera. I had no idea he had such a strong foot in the world of opera, even if only in a regional capacity.  He tends to name drop, but it is fun to hear him talk about the stars of yesteryear and his particular soloist preferences in opera productions and recordings.

VS

Charles Nelson Reilly directs Rossini's Cinderella (Interview)

Oh, nice!  I didn't know that about him either.  I'll try and check out the interview...thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter