General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Only for those who like this sort of thing....opera in English. Chandos are about to issue Cosi Fan Tutti, conducted by Mackerras and with a cast that sounds more than promising. I have his Magic Flute and thoroughly enjoy it. The Cosi will have to be found a space on the shelf....soon.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Sarastro

Quote from: T-C on July 16, 2007, 02:15:36 AM
I really encourage you to purchase the latest addition to the Opus Arte DVD label – a performance of Rossini's opera Il Viaggio a Reims that is conducted by Valery Gergiev. All the cast of about 17 solo singers, sing in Italian with a very prominent Russian pronunciation. But this performance was not recorded in Tel-Aviv but at the center of the world: Le theatre du Chatelet in Paris...

Setting aside the pronunciation, I must admit that the style of singing is not Rossiniesque at all. I highly discourage to purchase this DVD for the first introduction to the opera.

Two of Abbado's audios are incomparably better. Additionally to say, he reconstructed the opera and made its modern premiere in 1984. There is his personal impact in the performances he conducted, and the recordings belong to the world's opera treasury (well, at least I hope so ;D).

T-C

Quote from: Sarastro on April 08, 2008, 08:49:11 PM
I highly discourage to purchase this DVD for the first introduction to the opera.

This time, I agree with you.  0:)

knight66

I guess at some point in their lives, most people decide that enough is enough....of course there are exceptions, Mugabe for one.

Mike

uffeviking

For those of you non-readers of the New York Times, here is very good article about the Felsenstein collection. He was a famous Regietheater director.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/arts/music/18davi.html?ref=arts

No, I'll sit out purchasing the edition, $400, used at amazon, because the operas listed are not among my favourites, and not even Kurt Masur conducting can change my mind. For that kind of money I can buy a bunch of Stockhausens and still have some change left for a few Cerhas and Eötvöses!

Wendell_E

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

knight66

I might watch the film, but an opera sounds like it will be agitprop. Perhaps the Al Scala Unions are sponsoring this one.

Mike

bhodges

PBS is showing the movie-house broadcast of the Met's La fille du régiment tonight (at 8:00 in New York, check local listings).  A nice review on MusicWeb of the original live broadcast is here.

I saw the production in the house (not the broadcast) and thought it was totally delightful, with Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez singing up a storm--and this from someone who doesn't normally warm up to Donizetti.  The production is whimsical, totally in keeping with the story, and there's a very funny turn by actress Marian Seldes as the Duchess of Krakenthorp.

--Bruce

uffeviking

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 30, 2008, 03:44:23 AM
Coming to La Scala in 2011:  An Inconvenient Truth—the opera.

No, seriously.

Thank you, Wendell, interesting project, but you think we'll be around by 2011 to attend the world premiere?? :-\

Hector

Quote from: bhodges on June 26, 2008, 09:12:14 AM
PBS is showing the movie-house broadcast of the Met's La fille du régiment tonight (at 8:00 in New York, check local listings).  A nice review on MusicWeb of the original live broadcast is here.

I saw the production in the house (not the broadcast) and thought it was totally delightful, with Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez singing up a storm--and this from someone who doesn't normally warm up to Donizetti.  The production is whimsical, totally in keeping with the story, and there's a very funny turn by actress Marian Seldes as the Duchess of Krakenthorp.

--Bruce

BBC 4 are repeating the Covent Garden production this evening 8pm BST. Same cast only Dawn French is the oh-so unfunny Duchess.

Subotnick

Quote from: Hector on June 27, 2008, 04:24:05 AM
BBC 4 are repeating the Covent Garden production this evening 8pm BST. Same cast only Dawn French is the oh-so unfunny Duchess.

I was going to bring this up myself. I'll be recording it as I'm off to work. I just wondered if it was a good production and if I'm in for a treat.

TTFN.
Me.

UB

I just read where B.A. Zimmermann's opera "Die soldaten" is about to end a run at Lincoln Center. Has anyone gone to or plans to go see this amazing opera? If so please post a review. I can not imagine any opera lover living in or near NY not seeing a production of one of the great operas of the late 20th century. Sadly I must settle for watching my VHS version.

Edit - I really need to read before posting - I look forward to reading Sforzando review in the other thread.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

bhodges

Quote from: UB on July 10, 2008, 08:43:53 PM
I just read where B.A. Zimmermann's opera "Die soldaten" is about to end a run at Lincoln Center. Has anyone gone to or plans to go see this amazing opera? If so please post a review. I can not imagine any opera lover living in or near NY not seeing a production of one of the great operas of the late 20th century. Sadly I must settle for watching my VHS version.

UB!  Nice to see you around!  I am going tonight (Friday).  The final performance is Saturday.  Without exception, every single person I've spoken with has been pretty much awestruck.  Check the Opera section: there is at least one other thread on this, too.

--Bruce

uffeviking

Tomorrow, Saturday July 12th, BBC Radio 3, has Berg's Wozzeck with Simon Keenlyside around noon here. You'll have to figure out the proper time, it's 18.30 in London!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/operaon3/pip/riq49/

uffeviking

A reminder: On the 25th Bayreuth's season will open with Parsifal. Listen to it:

www.operacast.com/bayreuth08.htm

knight66

Seemingly there is a closed performance each year for 'The Workers', tickets are not available under the usual arrangements. I know someone who is going for The Ring this year; she was told about this performance and that entry is sometimes given if you have tickets for other performances and write a nice letter. She did and has access to the performance, it will be Parisfal. I don't know what workers means in this context, it might be for the people who work for the festival.

The Parsifal is a new production, not the one with the projected film of a decomposing rabbit.

Mike

karlhenning

That rabbit's dynamite.

uffeviking

Want to try a brand new music and opera forum? Try this one, at least have a look - HE won't bite!

http://cmandof.freeforums.org/index.php

Hector

Quote from: uffeviking on July 30, 2008, 08:01:58 PM
Want to try a brand new music and opera forum? Try this one, at least have a look - HE won't bite!

http://cmandof.freeforums.org/index.php

Why, have all his teeth been removed?

The Wagnerite who knows nuffing!

Could be fun, on second thoughts, though.

I might register under a pseudonym and like him I can become a pseud!

Wolfie could be a good name $:)