General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

Wojciech? Never seen the man, never heard the man. Dear Maciek, how many Lises do you know? It ain't this one, wrong Lis!

T-C

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 10, 2008, 06:10:04 PM
Wojciech? Never seen the man, never heard the man. Dear Maciek, how many Lises do you know? It ain't this one, wrong Lis!

Dear Lis, you shouldn't have given this conclusive statement...  ;)

Actually, you have seen and heard this excellent Polish baritone, Wojtek Drabowicz, who sadly passed away a year ago. Do you need a hint? Here it is: Calixto Bieito ...

Maybe the picture will refresh your memory: Drabowicz is the one with the pistol...

Maciek

That's the one!

The disc was issued shortly before the singer's death. I found a review here (judging by the reviewer's surname, he might be slightly biased; or not 0:)).

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: T-C on November 10, 2008, 08:33:41 PM
Actually, you have seen and heard this excellent Polish baritone, Wojtek Drabowicz, who sadly passed away a year ago. Do you need a hint? Here it is: Calixto Bieito ...

Oh HIM! Bieito's Don Giovanni! T-C you didn't really expect me to remember his name? Yes, you did, because your memory is flawless; I am always grateful for your nudges to my senior variety.  :-*

Brünnhilde forever

Get 'em while they are hot!

Seattle is really pushing for their new Ring next year.  I have been getting phone calls and promotional brochures and ads like this one in my email box.  :-\

http://www.seattleopera.org/tickets/ring/index.aspx

Anne

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 02:58:29 PM
Get 'em while they are hot!

Seattle is really pushing for their new Ring next year.  I have been getting phone calls and promotional brochures and ads like this one in my email box.  :-\

http://www.seattleopera.org/tickets/ring/index.aspx

Lis, do they have any recordings (CD or DVD) of this Ring for sale?

Brünnhilde forever

Honey, it's a brand new production and will be premiered next year. You'll have to come out here to experience it. Figure on two weeks in Seattle because there is always a 'free' day in between, to give you out-of-towners a chance to go shopping in Seattle!  ;)

Anne

Guess I'm mixed up.  I thought there was a Ring nicknamed the Green Ring.  There were pictures online and it looked to be an attractive Ring.

Brünnhilde forever

Easy to get confused! There is the previous production, ref. to as The Green Ring,, you had that right, but there is no commercial video or even audio recording of it available. I have an audio tape a Seattle friend made for me from the Seattle radio broadcast - KING FM - but the sound is so bad, I can't even bear to listen to it.  :(

Anne

I remember the first time Jane Eaglen sang in Seattle.  No one had heard her voice yet but it was reputed to be something special.  A friendly acquaintance of mine lived right in Seattle and agreed to tape King FM.  I listened to the broadcast from King FM.  That was so exciting!  I even stayed awake until 2:00 AM.
Unfortunately over the years with all the music web sites failing I lost track of my friend.  Maybe we can find someone else.

Brünnhilde forever

Anne, was this Eaglen's Isolde with Heppner? I was there, experienced it live and will never forget it. She has been criticized so much, rudely, about her size, but there was something about this artist that had us all mesmerized.

I too lost my Seattle friend who had taped the Green Ring for me! If KING FM has a better broadcast engineer next year, I'll try and tape it.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 05:07:46 PM
Honey, it's a brand new production and will be premiered next year.

??? According to the page at the link you posted, "This award-winning production, inspired by the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest, was unveiled in 2001 to wide acclaim, and revived for sold-out audiences in 2005."  So it will be a revial of Stephen Wadsworth's "green Ring".
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Brünnhilde forever

You've got me there, Wendell! I didn't read all of the ad, because my ears get filled almost every day, listening to Seattle radio stations, with news of the new Ring. In interviews Speight Jenkins won't reveal the secret about the new dragon, so I assumed it's an all-around new Ring:)

Wendell_E

Maybe this time around they will make a commercial video recording.  From everything I heard about the production, it sounds as if they really need to.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Brünnhilde forever

Wendell, if Washington State were not the birthplace of Microsoft I would wonder if the advance of some technical discoveries stopped at our border.  ;)

There had not been made a single official recording from the Seattle opera, neither audio nor video! Even the Pacific Northwest Ballet had their Midsummer Night recorded of a performance at the Sadler Wells in February 1999.  :(

Anne

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 08:23:47 PM
Anne, was this Eaglen's Isolde with Heppner? I was there, experienced it live and will never forget it. She has been criticized so much, rudely, about her size, but there was something about this artist that had us all mesmerized.

I too lost my Seattle friend who had taped the Green Ring for me! If KING FM has a better broadcast engineer next year, I'll try and tape it.

Now that you mention Tristan, I think that was the opera that Eglen sang.  It was just a few years after that that Eglen sang  Tristan at the Met.  I've heard that her husband is happy with her size just the way it is.

Don't you think that ----- and Melinda Gates would happily pay for the recording expenses.  He has now retired from the world of computers and plans to operate the charity he and Melinda own full time.  I have heard from others that he is not a classical music fan.  Is his name Bill?  I just cannot remember that name.  Maybe somone could interest him.

Brünnhilde forever

Anne, you are thinking of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charitable organisation with world wide loftier and more important goals in mind, than the production of opera DVDs.  :)

Anne

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 15, 2008, 06:38:41 AM
Anne, you are thinking of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charitable organisation with world wide loftier and more important goals in mind, than the production of opera DVDs.  :)

Thanks for confirming Bill's name.  I guess we'll just have to do without his contribution to opera.