General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Hector on May 24, 2007, 04:37:04 AM
Who wrote this 'Disturbia' he mentions?

Is it a modern opera?

It is a recently released film that has actually gotten pretty good reviews, being compared (cautiously) to Rear Window.

Disturbia

--Bruce

uffeviking

You like Salome? Read what Nigel wrote about his last experience:

http://npw-opera-concerts.blogspot.com/

bhodges

Quote from: uffeviking on May 30, 2007, 11:57:06 AM
You like Salome? Read what Nigel wrote about his last experience:

http://npw-opera-concerts.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Lis!  I might have missed that...

--Bruce

uffeviking

A bunch of news gleaned from this month's Opera issue!

"We hear Simon Keenlyside will sing his first Rigoletto at WNO in 2008-9"

"We hear Bryn Terfel will sing his first Hans Sachs in ..... Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg for WNO in 2009-10"

Opera Broadcasts at BBC Radio 3:

June 9th Pelléas et Mélisande with Angela Kirchschlager and Simon Keenlyside. A recording of the performance conducted by Simon Rattle.

June 23rd The recording of Thomas Adès's The Tempest with he composer conducting.

uffeviking

Quote from: uffeviking on June 02, 2007, 06:56:58 PM

Opera Broadcasts at BBC Radio 3:

June 9th Pelléas et Mélisande with Angela Kirchschlager and Simon Keenlyside. A recording of the performance conducted by Simon Rattle.

A reminder!

And a disclaimer because I just read a review of this performance in the June 1 edition of TLS and I am not sure it will be what I expected. The well respected critic Andrew Porter calls it the 'quirkiest' show he has ever seen. Porter also says: "Stanislas Nordey, directing, had scrapped Debussy's libretto for one of his own". In Act two there is no well, Mélisande tosses her ring into the orchestra pit. I always have an open mind to new directing, costumes, sets, lighting, whatever, as long as they keep the notes and the words of the composer. Well, this one must have believed he can do better than Debussy's librettist. Simon Rattle was complimented by Porter for holding to the score. "He didn't introduce musical changes to tickle a modern audience".

I think I'll listen and enjoy the music and Keenlyside, Finley, and Kirschschläger!

Wendell_E

Quote from: uffeviking on June 06, 2007, 06:30:25 PM
I think I'll listen and enjoy the music and Keenlyside, Finley, and Kirschschläger!

... and Rattle and the orchestra!

I'm really looking forward to the broadcast.  It does seem that we're lucky not actually having to see it.   ;D

Hector

Quote from: uffeviking on June 06, 2007, 06:30:25 PM
A reminder!

And a disclaimer because I just read a review of this performance in the June 1 edition of TLS and I am not sure it will be what I expected. The well respected critic Andrew Porter calls it the 'quirkiest' show he has ever seen. Porter also says: "Stanislas Nordey, directing, had scrapped Debussy's libretto for one of his own". In Act two there is no well, Mélisande tosses her ring into the orchestra pit. I always have an open mind to new directing, costumes, sets, lighting, whatever, as long as they keep the notes and the words of the composer. Well, this one must have believed he can do better than Debussy's librettist. Simon Rattle was complimented by Porter for holding to the score. "He didn't introduce musical changes to tickle a modern audience".

Yet again it has been the production that has received all the critical flak. Nordey has dropped or altered the stage directions, no long hair dropping from the balcony, for example, and this is probably what AP means.

However, the musical side has come in for general critical praise which, as far as I'm concerned, is what matters most, with Keenlyside, the orchestra and Rattle coming in for particular plaudits.

It cannot be any worse than the Glyndebourne production of a few years back set in a Victorian dining room!

uffeviking

Andrew Porter did give praise to everything on the musical side, as I quoted him in the last sentence of my post. He also gave high praise to Kirchschläger. Keenlyside's and Finley's occasional barking Porter blamed on the acoustics of the NOH.

If you have the chance, Hector, please read Porter's article in the Times Literary Supplement of the first of June. Very informative!  :)

uffeviking

This Lohengrin must have been a disappointment. Good reading of Nigel's review anyhow!

http://npw-opera-concerts.blogspot.com/2007/06/wagner-lohengrin.html

uffeviking

Any of our New York friends attended this by any chance? I just got this from Nigel:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4e4bc06c-1839-11dc-b736-000b5df10621.html

bhodges

Quote from: uffeviking on June 12, 2007, 11:43:03 AM
Any of our New York friends attended this by any chance? I just got this from Nigel:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4e4bc06c-1839-11dc-b736-000b5df10621.html

Yes, I did, and quite liked it (contrary to the Financial Times writer and the New York Times).  I am writing a review for MusicWeb, but in a nutshell: the Cherubini was a revelation, the Beethoven less so but Lang Lang continues to impress me, and the Hindemith Sancta Susanna was great fun.  (Makes you want to see it staged, although I can't imagine that anyone is seriously considering it at the moment.)

--Bruce

uffeviking

Look forward to your review, Bruce! The Hindemith piece a bit too much for the New York/New England audience? Nigel's comment went something like: 'This too is Hindemith?" or words to that effect.  ;)

springrite

Quote from: uffeviking on June 12, 2007, 12:53:27 PM
Look forward to your review, Bruce! The Hindemith piece a bit too much for the New York/New England audience? Nigel's comment went something like: 'This too is Hindemith?" or words to that effect.  ;)

Well, Hitler did not ban Hindemith for his concert music, you know.  ;)

karlhenning

I'd be content to hear that music sans staging  0:)

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on June 12, 2007, 01:03:38 PM
I'd be content to hear that music sans staging  0:)

I remember at the end of Fiery Angel where the person next person commented that he'd prefer the last act sans music -- just staging plus 50 stripping nuns.

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on June 12, 2007, 01:08:35 PM
I remember at the end of Fiery Angel where the person next person commented that he'd prefer the last act sans music -- just staging plus 50 stripping nuns.

I worry about people like that on the loose . . . wacko scenarists, I mean  ;D

knight66

"To have Woody Allen direct 'Gianni Schicchi' is a match made in heaven," said Friedkin in a statement.

It will probably turn out to be grim....if he so much as raises a smile I will be surprised.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.