General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Wendell_E on August 10, 2010, 12:14:51 PM
The Met Celebrates the 40th Anniversary of James Levine's Company Debut with James Levine: Celebrating 40 Years at the Met, Two Special Box Sets of 21 DVDs and 32 CDs

The two sets contain 22 complete performances, 19 of which have never been previously available in any format.

:o  :o  :o

Quite spectacular-looking.  (I only wish I hadn't just bought the Lulu with Migenes.)  But some treasures there, for sure.

--Bruce

Wendell_E

Quote from: bhodges on August 10, 2010, 12:23:08 PM

Quite spectacular-looking.  (I only wish I hadn't just bought the Lulu with Migenes.)  But some treasures there, for sure.

--Bruce

Yeah, I've got the Lulu DVD too, but I'm sure I can find a good home for the extra copy.  I'm just glad I was able to (only just barely) restrain myself from ordering the Ariadne from one of the European sites. 
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

DarkAngel

Don't want entire Levine 21 DVD $300 boxset..........but

I have always wanted to get that Mozart Marriage of Figaro with Carol Vaness, Kathleen Battle, Frederica von Stade......perhaps it will also soon be sold seperately

Wendell_E

Quote from: DarkAngel on August 11, 2010, 03:56:51 PM
Don't want entire Levine 21 DVD $300 boxset..........but

I have always wanted to get that Mozart Marriage of Figaro with Carol Vaness, Kathleen Battle, Frederica von Stade......perhaps it will also soon be sold seperately

It would seem foolish not to eventually release them separately.  In any case, as someone commented on another site, "I'm sure one will be able to find copies of broken sets on eBay shortly after Day 1."
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Scarpia

Quote from: bhodges on August 10, 2010, 12:23:08 PM

--Bruce

Is that Lulu good?

False_Dmitry

Article in The Independent - an interview with Tony Hall, CEO of the ROH, about making its work accessible, and succeeding as a business against a background of cuts for the arts:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/tony-hall-taking-high-culture-to-the-mass-market-2050088.html

"Of all the NOISES known to Man, OPERA is the most expensive" - Moliere

mamascarlatti

I'd consider getting the Met DVD box set - but you have to phone in an international order?!? - I'm quite surprised as usually the Met is good at exploiting the Internet.

bhodges

Quote from: Scarpia on August 12, 2010, 04:51:58 PM
Is that Lulu good?

I actually haven't watched it yet--it's still shrink-wrapped... :-[  But I've heard through the grapevine that it is very good. 

--Bruce

Guido

Quote from: False_Dmitry on August 13, 2010, 04:49:28 AM
Article in The Independent - an interview with Tony Hall, CEO of the ROH, about making its work accessible, and succeeding as a business against a background of cuts for the arts:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/tony-hall-taking-high-culture-to-the-mass-market-2050088.html

I'm amazed that the cut isn't more - its just more than half a percent. Considering most departments are being cut 25-40% they've done bloody well!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Scarpia

Quote from: Guido on August 13, 2010, 12:43:56 PM
I'm amazed that the cut isn't more - its just more than half a percent. Considering most departments are being cut 25-40% they've done bloody well!

If the ROH wants to broaden its appeal if could find a way to reduce ticket prices.  Nearly $400 for a good seat for an opera performance is not compatible with broad appeal.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Scarpia on August 13, 2010, 12:59:59 PM
If the ROH wants to broaden its appeal if could find a way to reduce ticket prices.  Nearly $400 for a good seat for an opera performance is not compatible with broad appeal.

How would you suggest they do that, against a background of cuts in financial support and businesses hurting from the knock-on effects of recession, though?

Scarpia

Quote from: False_Dmitry on August 13, 2010, 01:24:35 PM
How would you suggest they do that, against a background of cuts in financial support and businesses hurting from the knock-on effects of recession, though?

I don't suppose they it would be easy, but their ticket prices are high even to other comparable opera houses.  I'm not sure it is sustainable for artists to command very high fees if they have to be supported by government subsidies.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Scarpia on August 13, 2010, 07:43:44 PM
I don't suppose they it would be easy, but their ticket prices are high even to other comparable opera houses.  I'm not sure it is sustainable for artists to command very high fees if they have to be supported by government subsidies.

Hmmm, I can't find the bit here where you explain how to make the tickets cheaper.  Can you run it by me again?

Scarpia

Quote from: False_Dmitry on August 13, 2010, 10:44:05 PM
Hmmm, I can't find the bit here where you explain how to make the tickets cheaper.  Can you run it by me again?

Pay singers and conductors less.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Scarpia on August 13, 2010, 10:54:34 PM
Pay singers and conductors less.

I meant the actual realistic suggestion? 

Scarpia

Quote from: False_Dmitry on August 13, 2010, 11:13:06 PM
I meant the actual realistic suggestion?

It may become more realistic when government subsidies are cut and people can't afford to buy tickets.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Scarpia on August 13, 2010, 11:18:16 PM
It may become more realistic when government subsidies are cut and people can't afford to buy tickets.

I just checked on the ROH's website, and for next month's COSI FAN TUTTE you can have a perfectly acceptable seat in the Amphitheatre for £24 (US$37.50).  A midprice seat would go for US$80-120. 

If you don't have that kind of money, then you can still sit in the Upper Slips for £8 (US$12.50).  That's a *seat*, not standing.  I saw Heppner & Fleming in OTELLO from the Upper Slips, and didn't regret going (despite my poor opinion of Fleming generally).

Some comparisons:

• a post-theatre supper at a mid-price Italian restaurant near to the ROH, like "Paradiso e Inferno" - at least $80pp incl a half-bottle of wine
  • a taxi home to typical residential regions like Islington, Ealing or Clapham - around US$50
  • ticket to a soccer game next week to watch Chelsea FC - £60 non-member (US$93)

For myself when visiting London (my original place of birth), I slip a sandwich and a Coke in my bag (the ROH don't object at all) for the intermission, and then I take public transport back to where I'm staying when in London.  For my mid-price ticket (cheaper than a ball-game) I've seen and heard world-class artistes,  a world-class orchestra of some of Europe's finest players,  and seen an extensive high-cost show involving huge scenery and costly costumes.   Frankly - it's a bargain.

I know I will never convince you of that - you and I have disagreed about this before, and the opera-house across the road from your house where you - as an alleged music-lover - disdain to go??   :-X

The idea that there will be rebellion against the prices at the ROH is, I'm afraid, a fiction of your fertile imagination.  ROH shows are always sold-out,  and there is considerable difficulty in getting tickets if you are not a member of The Friends.   Nor is it true to say that the "real music-lovers" are priced out of events - not when you can have a good Amphitheatre seat for the price of a take-out Chinese meal.

knight66

Scarpia, I don't see how the scenario you suggest would lower seat prices.

If funding is reduced, it might be that star performers accept less in fees, but even if they did; you have lowered the income and the outgoings. Surely you are back where you started, the prices would not fall.

There is in any case still an astonishing amount of money sloshing around in London and whatever the seats cost, there will be people who can afford the prices asked.

I agree with FD's points above. I tend not to go because I have back problems. Most theatre seats are a trial, pity they are not like cinema seats. Last time I saw Elektra at the ROH, I ended up standing at the back for half of it, same with Flying Dutchman. I would happily pay the mid price cost if I could sit in reasonable comfort in the seat.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Scarpia

Quote from: knight on August 14, 2010, 12:46:05 AM
Scarpia, I don't see how the scenario you suggest would lower seat prices.

If funding is reduced, it might be that star performers accept less in fees, but even if they did; you have lowered the income and the outgoings. Surely you are back where you started, the prices would not fall.

There is in any case still an astonishing amount of money sloshing around in London and whatever the seats cost, there will be people who can afford the prices asked.

I agree with FD's points above. I tend not to go because I have back problems. Most theatre seats are a trial, pity they are not like cinema seats. Last time I saw Elektra at the ROH, I ended up standing at the back for half of it, same with Flying Dutchman. I would happily pay the mid price cost if I could sit in reasonable comfort in the seat.

Mike

Quite right, but at least I'd have the satisfaction of knowing that my tax dollars are not paying to subsidize rich people attending operas I can't affort to attend. 

In any case, my fantasy of going to the opera again someday is gone.  The only seats I can reasonably afford are less satisfying than listening to a CD.

BTW, the one time I attended the ROH the hall was half empty.  Of course, it wasn't La Traviata.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Scarpia on August 14, 2010, 07:46:15 AM
Quite right, but at least I'd have the satisfaction of knowing that my tax dollars are not paying to subsidize rich people attending operas I can't affort to attend. 

In any case, my fantasy of going to the opera again someday is gone.  The only seats I can reasonably afford are less satisfying than listening to a CD.

BTW, the one time I attended the ROH the hall was half empty.  Of course, it wasn't La Traviata.

This discussion goes back to another thread recently about preferred way to experience opera.........

I remain a strong advocate for high quality home theater system and Blu ray /DVD playback of opera, the numerous advantages are very compelling......including cost savings over live performances