General Opera News

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaergaard

How to classify it: Opera or Film? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYdIgZ40Xhw&feature=player_embedded

You decide:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465491/

In any case, can't wait to see it; with Maltman in the title role and Holten the director, can't go wrong!

Guido

That trailer makes me really want to see it - I've never liked the opera-film genre (as opposed to filmed live productions) because it's never filmic enough (not to mention the often terrible "stagey" acting), but this looks really well done. It could be a bit gratuitous or ott, but this is a trailer, and they always are for stories as raunchy and violent as Don Giovanni. Will definitely look it out!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

kaergaard

It could be somewhat in the style of the old Losey film with Rugero Raimondi, but Holten ain't no Losey! - If you have seen his Copenhagen Ring of the Nibelung you know what I mean. -  ;)

Guido

I haven't, so don't really know what you mean. Care to elaborate?  :)
Geologist.

jlaurson

Ionarts-at-Large: A Midget, Frogs, and Broken Tea Cups

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/03/ionarts-at-large-midget-frogs-and.html

I love the music of Zemlinsky. How superb to hear his "The Dwarf". Too bad it's not a particularly good opera...

Harry Powell

I'm not a huge fan of German post Wagnerism, but consider "The Dwarf" an appealing opera: much more valuable than simple craftmanship.
That production seems to be incredibly stupid.S
I'm not an native English speaker, so please feel free to let me know if I'm not expressing myself clearly.

jlaurson

Quote from: Harry Powell on March 25, 2011, 03:14:37 PM
I'm not a huge fan of German post Wagnerism, but consider "The Dwarf" an appealing opera: much more valuable than simple craftmanship.
That production seems to be incredibly stupid.S

Well, the music or the drama or both? On CD or on stage?
I was a little disappointed (obviously)... but then a better staging might have made more of it. It didn't seem up to any of the Schreker I have seen staged, though.
Still, very valuable to have had the opportunity to see/hear it.

Harry Powell

It was staged in Seville three years ago and made a great impression even if it shared the performance with Zemlinsky's "Eine Florentinische Tragödie".
There's a remarkable recording of a Paris performance by Conlon.
I'm not an native English speaker, so please feel free to let me know if I'm not expressing myself clearly.

bhodges

The 2011 #Operaplot contest is underway, and this year the judge is the bass-baritone Eric Owens. More details on The Omniscient Mussel (whose creator hosts the contest). They have quite a few nice prizes, e.g., tickets to operas around the world.

If you want to see some of the entries--many already pretty funny--just go to Twitter and search for #operaplot, and all the entries will miraculously appear. A few examples (I love the last one):

- "You need anything dusted? Swept? OK, we'll just...stare at the harbor all day again," Suzuki says, mentally updating her résumé.
- You stole my husband? So I stole him first, big deal. Rot in hell. I'm off to meet the executioner.
- Whatever, Tatyana. Too long, didn't read.

--Bruce

Harry Powell

I'm very sad to announce that, according to some sources, Cornell MacNeil has died.

He was the greatest Verdi baritone in the Postwar years and a favourite of mine.

Wendell_E

Dallas Opera cancels Káťa Kabanová.  Press release here:  http://blog.dallasopera.org/2011/07/22/the-dallas-opera-announces/

I've planned a November trip to Texas:  Fidelio (with Mattila) in Houston, the Stephanie Miller Sexy Liberal Tour in Austin, and Káťa in Dallas.  I'd even ordered the study score, which just arrived a couple of days ago.  Oh, well.  Less driving for me.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

bhodges

knight66

On the up side, it reads as though he should make an eventual recovery. I had rather assumed that his conducting career was over.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

zdic

jlaurson

Happy 53rd Birthday, Rossini

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-53rd-birthday-rossini.html

QuoteFifty-three is no age for a composer and so it is little wonder that Rossini - or at least
his music - is alive and well. Born on February 29th, 1792, Gioachino Antonio Rossini soon
discovered a penchant and talent in culinary appreciation as well as note-churning. The latter
he put to use for the creation of almost 40 operas, the former to support his stately
appearance...

Gurn Blanston

Nice article Jens. There's lots I don't/didn't know about Rossini, except that I greatly enjoy his music. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Guido

Quote from: jlaurson on December 09, 2011, 03:23:55 PM
Well, he's not going to tell us that, if it were so. I think it's pretty much over, though.
(Without a steady supply of chorister boys, his powers of recuperation will quickly wane.)
Luisi is a very handy stand-in for the MET; people will be surprised (and possibly Luisi among them) when the MD-ship of the MET goes to Pappano, not Luisi, though.

I was pretty sure that non of that was ever proven or substantiated, the stuff with the young boys.

Where's this Pappano Met rumour come from? We need him here in London! Wonder who would take over if Pappano did leave the ROH? Jurowski?
Geologist.

Guido

Quote from: jlaurson on March 08, 2012, 12:33:16 PM
It was never brought to a court of law, if that's what you mean.

Re: Pappano... I have no idea who might follow him at the ROH, if Pappano were to go to the MET in the first place.

Where are you getting this info?! Hope we get to keep Pappano.

With the Levine stuff - I was under the impression that aside from a whispered rumour, no one actually came forward, which seems remarkable in these days if there's compensation to be had. Of course it may all have been covered up, but seems unlikely that nothing was leaked to the press in 30 years in a case as high profile as this. Unless you have special information...!
Geologist.