Musical Offering BWV 1079

Started by James, September 01, 2009, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I have a few recordings of it but I want to see if I can do better, any great suggestions for this one? Thanks in advance.
Action is the only truth

71 dB

Amazingly I have only one recording of BWV 1079 (Capella Istropolitana/Naxos).  :P

I think I could do better easily.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bulldog

My favorite is the Ensemble Sonnerie on Virgin Classics - wonderful variety of instrumentation.

Opus106

James, I think it would be helpful (not to me, but to others who may want to suggest recordings) if you could list the recordings you already have in your possession. :)

I have just one (Concentus Musicus Wien - Warner/DAW) and I'm quite happy with it for now. At the same time, I'm curious about Savall's recording and his arrangement of the movements of the work. I have felt that this work as presented by the CMW feels like a few short but brilliant pieces strung together arbitrarily. I think this is the way it is done in most other recordings.

QuoteThe placement of the Canons (as well as Savall's various other tweaks) is explained in the excellent booklet notes. Specifically, Savall opts for an arch structure, with the curve of the piece rising from the Ricercar a 6 for harpsichord heard early on, peaking at the centrally-placed Trio Sonata and then down again to the repeat of the Ricercar a 6 played by the full ensemble. If his intention was to create a more unified, more accessible work, then Savall has succeeded.

- Dan Davis, Classics Today
Regards,
Navneeth

Franco

For a different pov:
Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-In-The-Fields, and Iona Brown

And don't forget:
Harnoncourt, Concentus Musicus

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on September 01, 2009, 08:48:32 AM
My favorite is the Ensemble Sonnerie on Virgin Classics - wonderful variety of instrumentation.

Well, I was asking myself the same question a week or so ago!  :)  For years, I've owned just one version of the Musical Offering, the one below (on the left), which was recommended by Don in the above quote; and I must say that if you want just a single offering ( ;)), then certainly a recommendation.

But, I was perusing the recent issue of Fanfare and the Ton Koopman release w/ the Amsterdam Baroque Orch on period instruments was highly recommended (Challenger 72309) - so in exploring Amazon, I was more attracted to the CD below (right), i.e. Linden, Hazelzet and Musica Antiqua Köln - great group & inexpensive; now awaiting its arrival.

However, there seem to be plenty of excellent choices for this work - I'm sure Savall (and others) would please me in this performance!  :D

Bulldog

Quote from: Franco on September 01, 2009, 10:28:30 AM
For a different pov:
Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-In-The-Fields, and Iona Brown

It hurts my ears just thinking of Marriner's recording. :D

Daverz

I just ordered the Savall recording from BRO.  

I also have had only one CD of this for years, and not an "up to date" interpretation, either.  Milan Munclinger conducting the Ars Rediviva Orchestra on Supraphon.  No, not Munchinger, Munclinger.  I've alway found this recording very satisfying, but it's 60s Baroque.  I also have Kuijken/Leonhardt on a Pro Arte Lp, I'll have to give that one a spin to refresh my memory of it.

val

My choice:  Goebel wit the Musica Antiqua Köln. The Sonata, with Hazelzet, Goebel and Medlam is sublime.

premont

Quote from: Bulldog on September 01, 2009, 07:35:40 PM

Me too - except that I find Nicholas Kraemers take of the three-part Ricercare at least acceptable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Rod Corkin

Quote from: James on September 01, 2009, 08:39:24 AM
I have a few recordings of it but I want to see if I can do better, any great suggestions for this one? Thanks in advance.

People looking for better recordings of this music are commonplace, I've seen topics like this at every CM forum, all to no avail. I suggest there will never be a real solution because the music itself is rather commonplace, something that people seem reticent to accept.
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

springrite

Quote from: Bulldog on September 01, 2009, 07:35:40 PM

Alas, it is the only recording of this work that I have other than non-purist the orchestral one. Maybe I should look out for other recordings as well. Can't say I am happy with the ASMIF version.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

karlhenning

Quote from: Rod Corkin on September 02, 2009, 04:39:22 AM
. . . the music itself is rather commonplace, something that people seem reticent to accept.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Are you surprised, Rod?  For one thing, unless perhaps you share Mr Newman's incapacity to understand what a fact is — this eccentric notion that the music of the BWV 1079 "is rather commonplace" is to be readily filed as an opinion.  Nor any particularly intelligent or musical opinion.

You know, when I saw that you had posted to this thread, I suspected that you were writing to the effect that it's too bad that the BWV 1079 isn't half as good as anything Handel wrote.  So, yes, I came to read the post ready for a laugh.  But I was scarce prepared for this comedic gem on your part!

Rod Corkin

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 02, 2009, 04:46:00 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Are you surprised, Rod?  For one thing, unless perhaps you share Mr Newman's incapacity to understand what a fact is — this eccentric notion that the music of the BWV 1079 "is rather commonplace" is to be readily filed as an opinion.  Nor any particularly intelligent or musical opinion.

I'll never understand GMG's obsession with Newman, but your detrimental mention of is name in this topic was rather foolish, because Newman is the biggest Bach fan going. What does that say about this music? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 02, 2009, 04:46:00 AM

You know, when I saw that you had posted to this thread, I suspected that you were writing to the effect that it's too bad that the BWV 1079 isn't half as good as anything Handel wrote.  So, yes, I came to read the post ready for a laugh.  But I was scarce prepared for this comedic gem on your part!

Who mentioned Handel? It's just bland music in itself. But I was totally serious, even the Bach fans at my site are rather unenthusiastic about this piece. In fact one of the people I was referring to in my previous post was me, I too created a topic for this music myself, looking for something that will make this music sound good. So far no luck..  ::)

Dr. Dread

I have Menuhin in this. Because it was cheap and available.

SonicMan46

Quote from: MN Dave on September 02, 2009, 05:08:15 AM
I have Menuhin in this. Because it was cheap and available.

Dave - LOL  ;D!  If cheap is what you want, you might consider that 2nd CD shown in my post above, and endorsed in one of the following posts -  :)

Rod Corkin

Quote from: SonicMan on September 02, 2009, 05:17:32 AM
Dave - LOL  ;D!  If cheap is what you want, you might consider that 2nd CD shown in my post above, and endorsed in one of the following posts -  :)

At first I thought MN Dave's coment about H e nn i ng...  ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Rod Corkin on September 02, 2009, 05:04:29 AM
Who mentioned Handel? It's just bland music in itself. But I was totally serious, even the Bach fans at my site are rather unenthusiastic about this piece. In fact one of the people I was referring to in my previous post was me, I too created a topic for this music myself, looking for something that will make this music sound good. So far no luck..  ::)

On my thread people were jumping up and down to proclaim that A Musical Offering was one of their favorite works, just saying. :)

It's pretty good, but for chamber (>1 instrument and < alot) I strongly prefer the sonatas for violin and harpsichord. :)

Opus106

There's a more recent version from the Kuijken brothers. It's available as a DVD and the videos can be sampled on YouTube.

Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: Rod Corkin on September 02, 2009, 05:04:29 AM

Who mentioned Handel? It's just bland music in itself. But I was totally serious, even the Bach fans at my site are rather unenthusiastic about this piece.

Not correct.  I was at your site and was very enthusiastic about the work.  The problem is not that the music is bland or that it's hard to find excellent recordings.  The problem is you.