Hungaroton Fan Club

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, May 07, 2022, 08:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 08, 2024, 03:30:42 PMI don't know the recordings, but Mr. Hurwitz likes them.

I have a bunch of those and enjoy them; I should revisit them.  I was fortunate as someone had donated a bunch of them to a library and I was able to pick them up inexpensively.

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2024, 04:22:59 PMOh actually it is not that I love the recordings, but it is that was my introduction to the label.

My favorite Hungaroton is the Annie Fischer Beethoven sonatas set.
I've heard good things about her Beethoven, but haven't heard any of them.  Roughly when did she record them David? 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2024, 05:30:15 AMI've heard good things about her Beethoven, but haven't heard any of them.  Roughly when did she record them David? 

PD

Given the SQ I think the 60s but don't quote me on that!

Jo498

IIRC late 1970s or even into the 1980s but Fischer didn't authorize the release, so they were only published after her death in the 1990s.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

DavidW

Quote from: Jo498 on February 11, 2024, 08:06:11 AMIIRC late 1970s or even into the 1980s but Fischer didn't authorize the release, so they were only published after her death in the 1990s.

Don't get me wrong, I like the SQ, but wow for that time period I do expect more.

Irons

Hindemith: Der Schwanendrehr.

Inspired to omit violins and violas from orchestra in a viola concerto.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on February 22, 2024, 11:32:44 PMHindemith: Der Schwanendrehr.

Inspired to omit violins and violas from orchestra in a viola concerto.

Nice recording! I mentioned it on the first post on this thread, but your cover art looks much better than the one I posted.

Irons

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 08, 2022, 07:06:39 PM

I can't understand absence of Pal Kadosa

I see your point. Kadosa's violin concertos are excellent. Muscular and rhythmic, the first made an immediate impression with echoes of Prokofiev's violin concertos. The second has at it's core an ingenious set of variations. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 05, 2024, 12:14:48 AMI see your point. Kadosa's violin concertos are excellent. Muscular and rhythmic, the first made an immediate impression with echoes of Prokofiev's violin concertos. The second has at it's core an ingenious set of variations.
I see that Prestoclassical has his piano music available for sale (download).  Was any of his music ever released on CD?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 05, 2024, 10:20:33 AMI see that Prestoclassical has his piano music available for sale (download).  Was any of his music ever released on CD?

PD
Violin Concerto is here