The Art of Fugue

Started by The Mad Hatter, May 23, 2007, 12:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2024, 12:55:12 AMSome initial, tentative, thoughts about this interesting release. I may have misheard of course!

Rousset seems to play with little or no rubato or ornamentation. He mostly relies on instrumental colour and energy, speed, to enliven the music. The result is more a sequence of exercises in form and virtuosity than expressive poetry.

This seems to work better once you get past the simple fugues at the start.

Quote from: premont on February 22, 2024, 03:28:00 AMI was quite underwhelmed by Rousset's as to expressivity restricted approach and don't think I shall return to this recording that often.

I'm not surprised: after being an amazing Bach interpreter, Rousset lost the plot some time ago... But I will still give it a listen.  8)

JBS

I suppose I'm the reverse of you three gentlemen. Your descriptions make it very tempting for me, although I haven't ordered it yet.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

prémont

Quote from: JBS on February 22, 2024, 06:40:12 PMI suppose I'm the reverse of you three gentlemen. Your descriptions make it very tempting for me, although I haven't ordered it yet.

But don't come and say you weren't warned.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

AnotherSpin

A necessary and sufficient illustration in the discussion of free will;)

By the way, I already tried to listen Rousset, was not impressed.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 22, 2024, 08:34:41 AMI'm not surprised: after being an amazing Bach interpreter, Rousset lost the plot some time ago... But I will still give it a listen.  8)

He's the archetypical educated bourgeois musician - everything he does is well considered and meticulously executed. What you don't have is a sense of him - his feelings in response to the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2024, 12:54:27 AMHe's the archetypical educated bourgeois musician - everything he does is well considered and meticulously executed. What you don't have is a sense of him - his feelings in response to the music.

Yes, kind of AI performance, not unlike Gösta Funck's performance.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

IIRC the only Bach with Rousset I heard were the English suites and I found them too "brutal" and with lack of nuance.
Highly charged virtuoso performances (and admittedly, this fits some of this music quite well (unlike the AoF!)) but relentless, "one-sided" and thus rather tiring (partly also the fault of a rather aggressive harpsichord sound).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2024, 12:54:27 AMHe's the archetypical educated bourgeois musician - everything he does is well considered and meticulously executed. What you don't have is a sense of him - his feelings in response to the music.

Not bad in itself. How many musicians have we heard who play themselves instead of music? With all their idiosyncrasies, etc, what they consider necessary to share with others. It seems to me that Rousset's problem is different, he just doesn't play excitingly this time.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on March 13, 2024, 09:54:43 AMHakkinen in concert

I think it is excellent. I hope he finds the same inspiration for the forthcoming release. The channel has lots of interesting looking stuff.