The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Musical Offering BWV 1079

(1/28) > >>

James:
I have a few recordings of it but I want to see if I can do better, any great suggestions for this one? Thanks in advance.

71 dB:
Amazingly I have only one recording of BWV 1079 (Capella Istropolitana/Naxos).  :P

I think I could do better easily.

Bulldog:
My favorite is the Ensemble Sonnerie on Virgin Classics - wonderful variety of instrumentation.

Opus106:
James, I think it would be helpful (not to me, but to others who may want to suggest recordings) if you could list the recordings you already have in your possession. :)

I have just one (Concentus Musicus Wien - Warner/DAW) and I'm quite happy with it for now. At the same time, I'm curious about Savall's recording and his arrangement of the movements of the work. I have felt that this work as presented by the CMW feels like a few short but brilliant pieces strung together arbitrarily. I think this is the way it is done in most other recordings.

--- Quote ---The placement of the Canons (as well as Savall's various other tweaks) is explained in the excellent booklet notes. Specifically, Savall opts for an arch structure, with the curve of the piece rising from the Ricercar a 6 for harpsichord heard early on, peaking at the centrally-placed Trio Sonata and then down again to the repeat of the Ricercar a 6 played by the full ensemble. If his intention was to create a more unified, more accessible work, then Savall has succeeded.
--- End quote ---

- Dan Davis, Classics Today

Franco:
For a different pov:
Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-In-The-Fields, and Iona Brown

And don't forget:
Harnoncourt, Concentus Musicus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version