Musical Offering BWV 1079

Started by James, September 01, 2009, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on September 16, 2016, 09:50:22 AMI remember having read someone (probably line notes to a CD) who proposed that Bach's use of the word Opfer carries a double meaning, the other meaning being victim, victim to king Frederick's capriciousness.

Or victim to the caprice of fate. Look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtQbbstsOg&ab_channel=AlgyIng

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2023, 02:08:37 AMFirst impressions are that this is a particularly sensual opfer. The harpsichordist, Philippe Grosvard, gives luxurious renditions of the two ricercars  - more luxe, calm et volupté than expected! The polar opposite of Hantai!

The trio sonata is hedonistic, I can imagine it being played in the souper du roi.

I agree that this is an interesting and rather sensual interpretation, the sensuality caused by a rather pointed articulation and a more frequent use of vibrato than usual nowadays. I cherish Grisvard for the expressive Ricercare a 3 and for playing the Ricercare a 6 with 2x8' without changing stops any time during the piece. My only quibble is that I find that the two slow movements of the triosonata are played too fast and noncommittal.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 24, 2023, 06:42:11 AMOr victim to the caprice of fate. Look at this.

Maybe, maybe not.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 17, 2024, 07:50:43 AM

Released at the end of 2023 but I certainly missed it.

https://hitasura-productions.com/product-category/all/hitasura-exclusive-edition/

A decent interpretation, but I don't think that my high expectations to this ensemble (and particularly to Haas) were fully met.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on March 17, 2024, 09:26:08 AMA decent interpretation, but I don't think that my high expectations to this ensemble (and particularly to Haas) were fully met.

Yes I liked the ensemble but, on first listen, not so much Haas in the solo pieces,  And I too had high expectations of him. I've not heard the sonata yet.