Musical Offering BWV 1079

Started by James, September 01, 2009, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

That marvelous Canon perpetuus a 4 — "commonplace"?

Waiter, I'll have one of whatever the Corkster is drinking.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 02, 2009, 06:04:30 AM
Thread duty:

In 1949-50, Igor Markevich worked up a realization for three orchestral groups & solo quartet;  I always enjoy listening to this recording.

— And I realize now, thanks to the Corkster, that Markevich would have done this for any commonplace music LOLOLOLOLOLOL

All these D-list composers queuing up to better Bach with his own music. Say's a lot...  ::)
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 02, 2009, 06:24:49 AM
That marvelous Canon perpetuus a 4 — "commonplace"?

Waiter, I'll have one of whatever the Corkster is drinking.

I read the directions. It says NOT to be taken orally...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on September 02, 2009, 06:30:05 AM
I read the directions. It says NOT to be taken orally...

Quote from: The Firesign TheatreRoll up your arm and bend over.

Rod Corkin

"When the enemy in the field.. has to resort to toilet humor... it is a sure sign... they have lost." W. Churchill, 1945

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Franco

G. F. Handel wrote some of the greatest music of all time; but it is really silly to take pot shots at The Musical Offering.

karlhenning

Quote from: Rod Corkin on September 02, 2009, 06:43:25 AM
"When the enemy in the field.. has to resort to toilet humor... it is a sure sign... they have lost." W. Churchill, 1945

Thank you, Rod, for furnishing more of the sort of post which prompted one neighbor to observe that you are (his very word) delusional.

In order:

1.  No enemies here.  We're all music-lovers, and we're all discussing the music.
2.  This isn't a field.  Probably, none of us is dialing in from any field.
3.  No one here has had to resort to toilet humor.
4.  We may choose to, is all.
5.  Nothing about this is a "sure sign" of anything.
6.  You lost from the outset with your lame "commonplace music" remark.

Quote from: Franco on September 02, 2009, 07:48:56 AM
. . . it is really silly to take pot shots at The Musical Offering.

QFT

karlhenning

7.  Churchill was a great man;  but your quoting him doesn't make any of his greatness rub off on you.
8.  Pity.

karlhenning

The Largo of the Sonata!  Magnificent.

Bulldog

Quote from: Rod Corkin on September 02, 2009, 06:24:28 AM
I know who you are now. I can understand why you would want to remain anon here so I'll say nothing.  ;D

I have no interest in being known or unknown.  However, you want to be identified as a Handel lover who finds Bach ordinary and often boring.  Again, as I have often stated, your attempts to lift Handel by dumping on Bach are detrimental to the perception you would like to possess as a classical music enthusiast.  Put another way, I find your attitudes perverse.   

karlhenning

The attitude is perverse and the musical intelligence is poor.

Xenophanes

Quote from: val on September 02, 2009, 12:35:56 AM
My choice:  Goebel wit the Musica Antiqua Köln. The Sonata, with Hazelzet, Goebel and Medlam is sublime.

I'll second that.  The Goebel/Musica Antiqua Köln on DG eloquence recording is not realistic, rather close miked, and the perspective is not realistic, and not much dynamic contrast.  However, it is thoughtfully done and quite beatiful.  The recording shows up the musical structures, and I think that's what this piece is about. I really like it, though the Penguin Guide doesn't think it's that special .

Benda on Naxos is more realistically recorded. It's OK but I don't like it nearly as well.

I have the old Muenchinger/Stuttgart CO on a London STS LP. It's also pretty good, but I like the Goebel recording much better.

Bulldog

Quote from: Xenophanes on September 02, 2009, 10:10:38 AM
I'll second that.  The Goebel/Musica Antiqua Köln on DG eloquence recording is not realistic, rather close miked, and the perspective is not realistic, and not much dynamic contrast.  However, it is thoughtfully done and quite beatiful.  The recording shows up the musical structures, and I think that's what this piece is about. I really like it, though the Penguin Guide doesn't think it's that special .
/quote]

I consider the Penguin Guide a waste of time.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: James on September 02, 2009, 09:46:26 AM
I enjoy your attempts at comedy Rod, always riles up the people it seems - your Cage-inspired piece was a hoot.

The right people James (who is another member by the way chaps). I exposed Cage as the dabbler that he was and produced a genuine masterpiece at the same time. But back on topic, the real issue with this music, which I identified 'elsewhere', is not really Bach, it is King Fred's theme. It is so bland I don't think anyone could make it interesting, certainly Bach could not.

Bulldog

Quote from: Rod Corkin on September 02, 2009, 01:27:58 PM
The right people James (who is another member by the way chaps). I exposed Cage as the dabbler that he was and produced a genuine masterpiece at the same time. But back on topic, the real issue with this music, which I identified 'elsewhere', is not really Bach, it is King Fred's theme. It is so bland I don't think anyone could make it interesting, certainly Bach could not.

Just as Beethoven took Diabelli's nothing theme and made a masterpiece, Bach did the same.  It's a shame that you don't seem able to enjoy both Handel and Bach, for both of them are fantastic composers.

Mandryka

According to wikipedia "Apart from the trio sonata, which is written for flute, violin and basso continuo, the pieces [in MO]  have few indications of which instruments are meant to play them, although there is now significant support for the idea that they are for solo keyboard . . . ."

Are there any good keyboard recordings? I've never heard it played like that.

By the way, Marc Andre Hamelin has started to play a Busoni transcription for piano. I would quite like to hear that. I've never heard anyone play the Bach/Busoni.

This seems to me lovely music with some stunningly interesting performances on record. I'm amazed at some of the ideas about it expressed earlier in this thread.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

springrite

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2011, 09:29:51 AM
Are there any good keyboard recordings? I've never heard it played like that.

Oh yes. Tatiana Nikolayeva on HYPERION. I have it and like it very much.

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on August 20, 2011, 09:38:46 AM
Oh yes. Tatiana Nikolayeva on HYPERION. I have it and like it very much.

The Ricercar for three and six voices are almost always played on a harpsichord (by that I mean on a keyboard). What that Wikipedia article states, without any source, is that the other canons in the work apart from the trio sonata, e.g. the canon for two violins, were also written for the keyboard. I had a look at Hyperion's website and Nikolayeva's AotF recording has only the ricercars and not the other parts.
Regards,
Navneeth

springrite

Quote from: Opus106 on August 20, 2011, 10:25:16 AM
The Ricercar for three and six voices are almost always played on a harpsichord (by that I mean on a keyboard). What that Wikipedia article states, without any source, is that the other canons in the work apart from the trio sonata, e.g. the canon for two violins, were also written for the keyboard. I had a look at Hyperion's website and Nikolayeva's AotF recording has only the ricercars and not the other parts.

Si. You are correct.

Humm.. that would be interesting. I'd be interested to hear it if so!