Brahms German Requiem
1 (3.6%)
Joe Green's Requiem
2 (7.1%)
Other?
9 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 15

karlhenning

Some other is more other than others, George  8)

Norbeone

Quote from: head-case on June 11, 2007, 01:17:20 PM
The first or the second Kyrie from the mass in h?

Sorry, that would be the first Kyrie. Though, I love the second also.

jochanaan

Quote from: PSmith08 on June 08, 2007, 04:10:13 PM
...Still, I prefer my Mass to have a little fire along with the creamy parts.
Oh, the German Requiem has plenty of fire in the second, third and (especially) sixth movements. :D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Haffner

It's got to be Beethoven's Missa Solemnis for me. I adore all the Kyries on the list, but my favorite chorale work remains this particular mass. It gets better each time I hear it, and I have loved it for quite awhile now.

I know that it's overall doubtful that Beethoven was Catholic, and there are doubts that he was even Christian. However, I can't think of anyone, baptized (as LvB was) or not, whom could compose a work that makes an RC such as myself feel more Affirmed, inspired, and awed with each listen.

Haffner

Quote from: jochanaan on June 12, 2007, 02:30:12 PM
Oh, the German Requiem has plenty of fire in the second, third and (especially) sixth movements. :D

I agree. A tremendous work, consistently rewarding with plenty of different emotions expressed. One of Brahms' best, imho.

Anne

Quote from: Haffner on June 12, 2007, 02:52:09 PM
It's got to be Beethoven's Missa Solemnis for me. I adore all the Kyries on the list, but my favorite chorale work remains this particular mass. It gets better each time I hear it, and I have loved it for quite awhile now.

I know that it's overall doubtful that Beethoven was Catholic, and there are doubts that he was even Christian. However, I can't think of anyone, baptized (as LvB was) or not, whom could compose a work that makes an RC such as myself feel more Affirmed, inspired, and awed with each listen.

I thought I recently read that he had been raised as a Catholic but just didn't go to church but did adhere to the tenets.

My favorite Kyrie is also MS especially the way Karl Bohm conducts it.  Like you I love it more each time I hear it.

Mozart

No votes for Joe Green's requiem?

Haffner

Quote from: Mozart on June 12, 2007, 11:16:33 PM
No votes for Joe Green's requiem?

That was a tough one for me to "overlook" when voting. I always thought that one of the worse judgements that Richard Wagner ever made was when he disparaged Verdi's Requiem. But then, as a person Wagner wasn't prone to great critical judgements, was he?

Is your favorite part from Verdi's Requiem the Dies Irae? (it's mine, but it's all pretty damn incredible).

knight66

The best of the Verdi does not lie in that first movement, so it garners little support.

As to the Missa Solemnis, here is a link to the old site where we discussed Beethoven's possible beliefs...amongst other things.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,13021.0.html

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Haffner

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2007, 06:08:16 AM
The best of the Verdi does not lie in that first movement, so it garners little support.

Okay.

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2007, 06:08:16 AM

As to the Missa Solemnis, here is a link to the old site where we discussed Beethoven's possible beliefs...amongst other things.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,13021.0.html

Mike

Thank you.

jochanaan

Quote from: Anne on June 12, 2007, 06:26:50 PM
My favorite Kyrie is also MS especially the way Karl Bohm conducts it.  Like you I love it more each time I hear it.
Is that the one with Margaret Price, Christa Ludwig, Wieslaw Ochmann, Martti Talvela, the Konzartvereingung Wiener Staatsopernchor, and the Vienna Philharmonic?  Yeah, that's gotta be one of the great recordings of all time. :D

head-case

Quote from: Anne on June 12, 2007, 06:26:50 PM
I thought I recently read that he had been raised as a Catholic but just didn't go to church but did adhere to the tenets.

The benchmark recording of this piece may be the Fricsay with Maria Stader.

Mozart

Quote from: Haffner on June 13, 2007, 04:14:34 AM

That was a tough one for me to "overlook" when voting. I always thought that one of the worse judgements that Richard Wagner ever made was when he disparaged Verdi's Requiem. But then, as a person Wagner wasn't prone to great critical judgements, was he?

Is your favorite part from Verdi's Requiem the Dies Irae? (it's mine, but it's all pretty damn incredible).

Yea Wagner sucks. And yes, the dies irae is really a day of wrath!

Anne

Quote from: head-case on June 13, 2007, 07:25:04 PM
The benchmark recording of this piece may be the Fricsay with Maria Stader.

Thank you for that information.  I had not known that.

zamyrabyrd

I voted for Jacques Vert, Youssef Ahdar, Yosef Yarok and Joseph Gruen.

(Didn't know Brahms EVER wrote a Kyrie.)

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Mozart

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on June 14, 2007, 07:15:15 AM
I voted for Jacques Vert, Youssef Ahdar, Yosef Yarok and Joseph Gruen.

(Didn't know Brahms EVER wrote a Kyrie.)

ZB

You could at least be original...

jochanaan

Quote from: Mozart on June 14, 2007, 05:49:30 PM
She was.  Her wording was completely different from mine. ;)

zamyrabyrd

What, about Jo Midori-san?

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

zamyrabyrd

Come to think of it, I like one particular Gregorian Chant version best of all:
A, Bb, A, G, A, D--, F, G, A, Bb, A, G, F, E, D, C, DD, etc.

ZB