Desert Island Discs

Started by vandermolen, June 08, 2007, 02:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on June 13, 2007, 04:09:49 AM
You don't. You just bring them.

I always wonder why everyone takes a couple of cds to that island.  I'd take my ipod which is crammed with music, books and tv shows. >:D

karlhenning

Anyway, you'd get to that island only to find a crew shooting the next season of Survivor

knight66

Bunny, (geeksquad.com).  took me to a UK page. I have saved the site as they are expanding coverage, thanks. They don't home visit outside London. I do have a guy locally who does my repairs and I am thinking I will get him along to discuss what programmes I need to move along. Nero is good, so that will be a first step. He will be taking the computer away for a service in a few days and then bring it to the new flat we move into and set up the wireless connection etc.

I will need to source a cheap way to buy plastic wallets, they vary a lot in cost.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

FideLeo

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2007, 04:28:20 AM

I will need to source a cheap way to buy plastic wallets, they vary a lot in cost.

Mike

Ebay is your friend.  I have just got 100 of them for £2.99 postage included. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

George

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2007, 03:43:52 AM
I can't do this....someone will have to turn up to my house with a truck and drag all but seven away. Yesterday, having realised I need 70 feet of shelf space in the new flat for my CDs, my wife told me that I was going to have to eat one for every new one I bought. I suggested the same solution for her shoes...she is going to let me off.

Mike

;D

knight66

Quote from: masolino on June 13, 2007, 05:12:26 AM
Ebay is your friend.  I have just got 100 of them for £2.99 postage included. 

Thanks, I have 100 plastic envelopes and eight single CDs that are not in store, that eight takes up the space of two jewel cases, as Bunny suggested. Step one therefore decided upon.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

MISHUGINA

This iz my lizt:

Brahms' German Requiem by Klemperer and Philharmonia Orc+Chorus

Beethoven Symphonies no 5 & 7 by Furtwangler/BPO (wartime 1943)

Wagner's Parsifal by Knappertsbusch/Bayreuth Festival Orch (Naxos 1951)

R.Strauss' Symphonia Domestica by Reiner/CSO

Debussy: La Mer, Jeux, Rhapsody for clarinet and Preludes for Orchestra by Boulez/Cleveland (DG)

Bruckner: Symphony no 1 by Tintner/RSNSO (Naxos)

Mahler: Symphony no 9 by Horenstein/LSO (BBC Classics)

Mahler: Symphony no 5 by Barshai/Deutsche Junge Philharmonie (Brilliant)

Bunny

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2007, 04:28:20 AM
Bunny, (geeksquad.com).  took me to a UK page. I have saved the site as they are expanding coverage, thanks. They don't home visit outside London. I do have a guy locally who does my repairs and I am thinking I will get him along to discuss what programmes I need to move along. Nero is good, so that will be a first step. He will be taking the computer away for a service in a few days and then bring it to the new flat we move into and set up the wireless connection etc.

Mike

A friend of mine is only on Mac, and he swears Itunes is perfect. He saved all of his cds in AIFF format and backed them up on DVDs.  Although I use Itunes for the ipod, I have my doubts about Itunes as a codec.  In fact, I'd love to know what the best codec is for ripping, burning and storing.  I know all about EAC, but I'm such a doofus I never got it working on my computer (talk about needing the geeksquad).

As long as you store the music in uncompressed format you will be doing fine.  The biggest problem is SACDs which so far as I know can't be ripped at all (only the redbook layer).  DVD-a format (which is actually even better than SACD) can be ripped and also compressed in MP4 (or AAC) by Nero software.

As for a cheap way to buy the sleeves, do a web search for the sleeves and you will find that there are companies that sell in bulk for other companies that send out cds in their mailings.  That's how I found Univenture.  The price per sleeve is very low when you are buying 1000 or more.  Even in amounts by the hundred, these companies sell at more reasonable prices than sites that specialize in storage solutions for small collections.

karlhenning

Quote from: MISHUGINA on June 13, 2007, 06:16:02 AM
This iz my lizt:

Gosh, how did non-German music slip in there?  8)

MISHUGINA

Quote from: karlhenning on June 13, 2007, 06:18:06 AM
Gosh, how did non-German music slip in there?  8)

typo error  :P