Reading Mahler Scores

Started by Greta, June 04, 2007, 06:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: greg on June 11, 2007, 07:22:02 AM
thanks everyone!  :)
i'll keep this mind, it's really hard to see how it works since the music in this symphony is hardly ever repeated in the same exact way. It's really hard to follow.

The finale of the 9th is a very developed sort of binary structure. Each time sections A and B return something is different. If you prefer you can think of it as sonata form: A and B stated, then an alternating development section followed by a recap (again A, B) and coda.

greg

Ok, so what is mm.13-16? Is that part of A? Because the line played by the 1st violins is definetely repeated, but it doesn't sound like A or B at all.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: greg on June 11, 2007, 07:33:17 AM
Ok, so what is mm.13-16? Is that part of A? Because the line played by the 1st violins is definetely repeated, but it doesn't sound like A or B at all.

The A section takes up the first 5 minutes of the movement. The B section starts with barely audible figure in the violins and is much quieter and lasts about 2.5 minutes. Then A enters again with the horns leading the way.

I don't have the score in front of me but if it's measures 13-16 it is definitely still A.