Hi to you all.

Started by ccar, September 12, 2009, 10:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccar

Hi to you all.
I registered yesterday and am just beginning to explore the forum.  After my first post I realized I should have introduced myself first. Forgive me for the lack of etiquette.
I enjoy classical music since my teens but I am not a musician. My relation to music is based on my personal sensibility and listening experience. When touched by some musical composition I do like to explore different readings, trying to find the richness of the piece through different interpretations I relate with. In this quest I am never looking for perfection (I would not recognize) and I am never able to elect any "best "interpretation of a piece, to order the ones I do like in any rank or to define what is the "correct" style for a piece, the right tempi,  to locate a slip of intonation or a missing note. 
This is not to say I don't have my personal favorites. And I must also confess that sometimes I have a kind of irrational insensibility to some fine and famous musicians that I may respect but I personally find too rigid or cold or to whom I cannot "connect with" in terms of musical phrasing, freedom or color.               

knight66

A warm welcome Carlos. I should think you will encounter many like minded folk here. Most of us do not ascribe to the generally accepted appraisal of various famous musicians. We either connect or don't. A bit like the music itself, perhaps it is great, but I might not like it.

What composers or artists are you listening to?

Regards,

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

MN Dave

Hello Carlos from lovely Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes and bazillions of mosquitoes.

Gurn Blanston

Welcome, Carlos. Hope you enjoy your stay with us, and we learn from each other. I am a big believer in not ranking or assessing greatness based on my own taste, also. I think you will like it here. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Holmes/Burnett - Hummel Sonata in Eb for Violin & Fortepiano Op 5 #3 3rd mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

ccar

Thank you for your welcome.

Listenning "program" for today:
  - 2 versions of the Brahms 3rd symphony by Pierre Monteux (Concertgebouw and BBC)
  - Bach sonatas and partitas by Szigeti - different versions and decades (1930's 1940's 1950')
  - Chopin nocturnes - Dino Ciani
  - Hommage à Marcelle Meyer - Thara 579-580

Regards,

Carlos          

MN Dave

Exquisite taste, my good man.  8)

DavidW

jlaurson

A warm welcome to you--and that you may never be intimidated by the usually civil, but sometimes--accidentally--rough tone that resonates through the halls of the GMG Forum.

Best wishes and regards,

jfl

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on September 12, 2009, 11:20:19 AM
Welcome Carlos. :)

David - love your 'new' avatar - a Texas Speed Bump;D

Carlos - another warm welcome to the GMG Forum - I hope that your enjoy and find plenty of interest here - please post and checkout the 'Composer's Thread' for those that might be of interest -  :)

I'd be interested in where you live in Portugal?  My only trip to your country was back in the 1970s - mainly Lisbon & the surrounding areas, plus a short visit to the islad of Madeira - just beautiful!  I've collected vintage Ports for years but have never made a trip to Oporto or up the Douro River to the actually vineyards - would be a joy for me!   :D

DFO

Hola Carlos, y saludos de otro Carlos pero de otro continente, y mucho mas al Sur.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DFO on September 12, 2009, 05:23:42 PM
Hola Carlos, y saludos de otro Carlos pero de otro continente, y mucho mas al Sur.

Carlos - having studied Spanish in college (can't speak much anymore, unfortunately -  :-\) and been to Portugal, the two languages are different; Portuguese seems to have some more of the 'softness' of French pronunciations, but just my superficial impressions - but just curious, if it is easier for a Spanish & Portuguese speaker to understand each other vs. one speaking to a person fluent in Italian or French?  Dave  :)

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan on September 12, 2009, 05:18:19 PM
David - love your 'new' avatar - a Texas Speed Bump;D

Hey that's perfect, I'll update my profile now. ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on September 12, 2009, 05:00:58 PM
A warm welcome to you--and that you may never be intimidated by the usually civil, but sometimes--accidentally--rough tone that resonates through the halls of the GMG Forum.

Best wishes and regards,

jfl

So, what are you saying, Jens... >:(

:D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Christine Faron - Kozeluch Op 15 #1 Sonata in g for Fortepiano 2nd mvmt - Allegro molto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

My tone is so rough you could use it in place of sandpaper. ;D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

greg

Diletante

Bem-vindo à GMG, Carlos!

Quote from: SonicMan on September 12, 2009, 05:32:18 PM
Carlos - having studied Spanish in college (can't speak much anymore, unfortunately -  :-\) and been to Portugal, the two languages are different; Portuguese seems to have some more of the 'softness' of French pronunciations, but just my superficial impressions - but just curious, if it is easier for a Spanish & Portuguese speaker to understand each other vs. one speaking to a person fluent in Italian or French?  Dave  :)

Nope, the language Spanish speakers usually have the fewest problems understanding without prior study is Italian. Portuguese is second, and French is DEFINITELY last. With the written language, the order is Portuguese, Italian, French. Written Portuguese is insanely easy to understand.

I hear Portuguese speakers have an easier time understanding oral Spanish than viceversa. I think it's because Portuguese has more nasal and 'disappearing' sounds, it sounds more 'closed' *. There are actually some Spanish accents that are also 'closed' and I have some trouble understanding them.

* Needless to say, French takes the cake in the 'closed' department.
Orgullosamente diletante.

greg

Quote from: Diletante on September 12, 2009, 06:33:33 PM
Written Portuguese is insanely easy to understand.
I see what you mean here. I've never even studied the language, yet I'm surprised how much I can understand.

Hollywood

Greetings from Beethoven's Heiligenstadt, Carlos. Welcome to the forum.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Welcome to the Forum, Carlos! Greetings from an overcast Delft, Netherlands.

Johan
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato