Good Deal for Opera Beginners/Lovers

Started by Anne, June 08, 2007, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

At Amazon there are some very good quality (I paid $30 - $35 for them 7 years ago) VCR tapes that at their prices now will not be there very long.  Including shipping I paid the following for 4 tapes (gifts for friends):
$8.95
$7.53
$6.42
$8.63.

There is already one tape marked $100.  The others will go up in price as the supply dries up.  These tapes are oop.

There are 2 tapes: Essential Opera

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6302541484/ref=pd_thx_sims_1/104-6944379-3143911

and Essential Opera 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Opera-2-Luciano-Pavarotti/dp/6303011101/ref=pd_rhf_f_t_2/104-6944379-3143911

Each tape is filled with highlights of the most gorgeous opera singing by top singers in their field, and from all different composers, for example :Puccini, Mozart, Verdi, Donizetti.  They are not selling anything, just presenting gorgeous music.

If you have a DVD recorder, you can update them to DVD.

Montpellier

Over the past couple of years the marketplace and zshop sellars have inceasingly pushed operatic DVDs, some from America, and they're coming down in price.  I bought a couple from Caiman - at the current exchange rate came to about £8 each inc airmail shipment.  I don't buy so many Opera/Ballet DVDs but they inevitably come from Amazon marketplace or Play.com. 

Nice situation and about 1/10 of the price of decent opera seats though they can't fill your room with operhouse atmosphere.  You do get enough time to enjoy a decently long drink when you choose to have an interval. 

That's the definition of a perfect interval to me - time to queue up for and actually consume a drink at the bar before the chime goes! 

marvinbrown

Quote from: Anancho on June 25, 2007, 02:14:40 PM
Over the past couple of years the marketplace and zshop sellars have inceasingly pushed operatic DVDs, some from America, and they're coming down in price.  I bought a couple from Caiman - at the current exchange rate came to about £8 each inc airmail shipment.  I don't buy so many Opera/Ballet DVDs but they inevitably come from Amazon marketplace or Play.com. 

Nice situation and about 1/10 of the price of decent opera seats though they can't fill your room with operhouse atmosphere.  You do get enough time to enjoy a decently long drink when you choose to have an interval. 

That's the definition of a perfect interval to me - time to queue up for and actually consume a drink at the bar before the chime goes! 

Hi Anacho, yes as a Londoner I too am finding that amazon marketplace is the BEST place to buy opera DVDs.  Neither HMV nor Virgin Megastore nor any other retail shop can with their sales match amazon marketplace prices (especially those shipped from America).  By the way I was at HMV yesterday they have a huge sale even on opera dvds and yet they remain anywhere between £5-£15 pounds more expensive than amazon marketplace prices.

marvin

beclemund

"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus