Alessandrini - Bach B'burg Concertos

Started by MishaK, June 08, 2007, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: premont on June 09, 2007, 06:03:48 AM
Yes, it lacks contrast, but not long lines. The music almost sings too much in long beautiful lines (in no 4,5 and 6 at most). The Alessandrini version shows certainly a very horizontal view upon the music and contrasts are to some extent smoothed out. And mechanical phrasings?? No, IMO the phrasings are more natural and less mannered than in the Antonioni or the Fasolis version. But I agree with Que, that the end result isnĀ“t fully idiomatic, I think in the sense, that it demonstrates a rather one-eyed view upon the music.

Disagree. The slow movements plod in the Alessandrini version even though the tempo isn't slow. It exactly doesn't sing. The notes become disconnected from each other.

Quote from: premont on June 09, 2007, 06:22:06 AM
OK, an edited afterthought on your part.
You are right, and in a way I like Alessandrinis interpretation too - IMO the most rewarding of the Italian recordings, but I think he underplays some of the elements in the music, which among others are the counterpoint and the deepness of emotion, and it is possible to take these elements in consideration, without becoming excessively academic. Have you heard Lindes or Kuijkens interpretations?

Bingo. And that I think Antonini does much better, one reason being that he doesn't play everything through in mf, but varies the dynamics.

Bunny

Quote from: O Mensch on June 08, 2007, 08:05:15 PM
OK, who on the old forum said that because I liked the Giardino Armonico version of the Brandenburg Concertos, I would love the Alessandrini Concerto Iatliano version?  >:(

I finally got the Alessandrini, as it was on sale at amazon, but I am disappointed. The Giardino Armonico version really made me hear the Brandenburg concertos with new ears. There is so much life in their playing and the link to the Italian style baroque concerto is self evident. Alessandrini and his Concerto Italiano just aren't on the same level: the performances don't have the same energy or joy. Where Antonini makes me want to leap out of my chair and dance, Alessandrini is nearly as academic as Harnoncourt. In addition, the Concerto Italiano just doesn't play as well as the Giardino Armonico. CI has less intonational security, occasional small ensemble coordination issues and a number of musicians sound strained in various difficult passages (notably the horns). GA has none of those issues - qute simply some of the best HIP playing I have heard. Finally, Alessandrini's interpretation isn't really anything special. It's rather straightforward and, actually, bland, with some supposedly HIP baroque mannerisms.  There is next to no dynamic differentiation, everything is more or less mf, where Antonini instead makes really wonderful contrasts. The slow movements don't sing and feel plodding because the notes are so disconnected even tough the actual tempo is not objectively too slow. Alessandrini's phrasings are often mechanically repetitive applications of certain HIP Baroque mannerisms. Combined with the lack of dynamic contrast it turns the music into wallpaper instead of an engrossing performance. Sorry, but this doesn't cut the mustard.

Perhaps a bit harsh, but you are entitled to your opinion.  I don't particularly care for the IGA recording myself, but I recognize how many others may find it deeply satisfying. 

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

the IGA was my first BC recording & I liked it enough to see what other recordings were like but I've sort of moved on since then. It's still ok. Alessandrini's is "good" (not great); I didn't buy into the hype but it's still ok imho.
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

Bunny

Quote from: biber fan on June 09, 2007, 03:01:49 PM
the IGA was my first BC recording & I liked it enough to see what other recordings were like but I've sort of moved on since then. It's still ok. Alessandrini's is "good" (not great); I didn't buy into the hype but it's still ok imho.

What I recall most about the IGA recording was the overly bright sound which made the brass sound very strange.  I'll have to revisit the recording to see whether my tastes have shifted now that I've been listening to more and more period performance Brandenburgs.  But, I just listened to the CI recording, and while I don't care that much for Alessandrini's work in the 5th, I still feel that the whole body of the recording is on an extremely high level.