The Troubadour Thread.

Started by Mandryka, May 23, 2019, 06:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 04, 2020, 04:13:07 PM
I need to hear more, even though it's not likely I'll ever be frequently in the mood for monophonic medieval songs.

There's no one who can make that sort of music come off the page better than Rogers Covey-Crump (and what a marvellous name he has!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Characterful voices from both Andrea von Ramm and Benjamin Bagby on this CD,  tasteful accompaniment -- often reticent. These singers can make the words sound meaningful.

The booklet contains this note on interpretation

QuoteConcerning the Interpretation:
More and more it is the tendency in the performance oF medieval music to rely somewhat on
instinct where the facts run out. This ought not to
be a license for unsubstantiated music-makinq (although I feel it often is), but ought be viewed as a
necessary challenge. One unfortunate result of this
however, is that it-is difficult in the extreme to keep
the listener informed of the substance of the musiccal position, with the result thar much is misunderstood. What may seem to the listener a minor
sixth chord mav be in reality the result of the drone
strings on that parricular'instrument, and what
may seem a rambling improvisation may really be a
detailed expansion of tones according to a clear
discipline.
So I-feel it might be of interest to the listener to
have pointed
-out
here that the opening of the
Planius Cipne is a Lydian scale transposed) encompassing the tones-of the melody to come, and
followed by suggestions of subjects such as a descending fourth as a swan symbol (from the melody
at the word cygne) that the accompaniment derives
from musical symbols contained in the melody,
such as the weaving through three or four notes in
the lament beginning with line 5, leading to the
resolution ar'dulcimodo cantitans' and the swan's
return to land.

Such an approach is not employed in the four
planctus from Las Huelgas, where symbolism takes
a back seat to basic musical materials of mode and
imitation, drone and structure.

Still another approach is employed in the naive
Bordesholmer planctus, where it is the runnng of
the instrument, drones plusa single melody string,
tnat dictates the tone combinations.

And finally the two troubadour songs are treated as
I would any straight-forward troubadour songs,
connecting the character of the instrument with
rhe expression of the text, by drawing attention to
specific tones and  intervals that I feeT are of particular importance in the song.

I like this CD very much.

Carlo Gesualdo

Mandryka if your looking for exceptional Trouvere albums* may I guide you to the following, please:

Monsieur est servis, cher monsieur ecouté c'est truc la

Outremer: beyond the sea ensemble trouvere ministrel medieval
Pour le facteur exotique de l'epoque?

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on December 04, 2020, 10:59:10 PM
Mandryka if your looking for exceptional Trouvere albums* may I guide you to the following, please:

Monsieur est servis, cher monsieur ecouté c'est truc la

Outremer: beyond the sea ensemble trouvere ministrel medieval
Pour le facteur exotique de l'epoque?

Ah yes, I found it on spotify, it's very entertaining.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2020, 01:19:04 PM
Ah yes, I found it on spotify, it's very entertaining.

Mandryka ravis de vous entendre, sir

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on November 10, 2020, 12:15:53 AM

Nearly all  these long songs have been recorded before, some of them by very fine singers like Paul Hillier and some of them much more dramatically by ensembles like Studio der Frühen Musik. Paloma Guttiérez del Arroyo does not have a voice with a greatly distinctive character, neither does she have the power of declamation like an opera singer or a story teller. Her voice is pure and her approach is simple and relatively unadorned. What she does is beautiful and perfect. Manuel Vilas provides a suitably  sober harp accompaniment, also perfect. This is the sort of recording which may underwhelm at first, but which, little by little, reveals itself over time to be more and more rewarding - more rewarding than the flashier alternatives in my case at least. A revelation in fact because it shows that this sort of music can be enhanced by a restrained approach.

No booklet online and hence no texts of the songs, and that's a downer.

Paloma Gutiérrez del Arroyo also on this very nice recording of Catigas de Santa Maria - music which normally I'm not so keen on but this seems to do a very good job of making them listenable for me. Not too jaunty, not too white note, not too strong in the pulse department!

Mandryka

This is 4 CDs worth of Troubadour stuff from René Clemencic, you know what to expect. I've only just got it, and I'm listening to CD 3 now, picked at random.

Very very entertaining!

Old San Antone

I subscribe to the Youtube channel  Trob'art Productions - Based on rigorous research and practice, the association Trob'Art Productions aims to develop knowledge and knowledge of the art of troubadours and more generally of poetry sung in the Mediterranean in its Occitan artistic aspects, music and poetry, current musical creations. It is in charge of the programming and artistic direction of the festival "Les Troubadours chantent l'art romanent en Languedoc-Roussillon".

Members include Sandra Hurtado Ròs, Denyse Macnamara, Gérard Zuchetto, André Rochard, Patrice Villaumé, Antoni Madueño Ranchal, Christos Barbas, Peppe Frana, Euripides Dikaios

Here's a recent clip:

https://www.youtube.com/v/LIbAinSrMJo

Old San Antone

Musica Medievale is another YouTube channel with troubadour music, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/v/SY7me_gTIys

Chansons Des Troubadours
1 Guiraud Riquier - Plus Astres No M'es Donatz
2 Gaucelm Faidit - S'om Pogués Partir Son Voler
3 Bernard De Ventadour - Estat Ai Com Òm Esperdutz
4 Raimon De Miraval - Bèl M'es Qu'ieu Chant E Coindei
5 Berenguier de Palou - Dòmna, Si Totz Temps Vivia
6 Aimeric De Peguilhan - En Greu Pantais M'a Tengut Longamen
7 Marcabru - L'autrier, A L'issida D'abriu
8 Rigaud De Barbezieux - Atressi Com Persavaus

Chansons Des Trouvères
9 Gace Brulé Chanson D'amour: Ire D'amors Qui En Mon Cuer Repaire
10 Anonyme - Lai Arthurien: A Vous, Tristan, Amis Verai
11 Anonyme - Reverdie: A L'entrant Dou Temps Novel
12 Thibaut De Champagne - Serventois: Deus Est Ensi Conme Le Pellicanz
13 Anonyme - Chanson De Toile: Bele Yolanz En Ses Chambres Seoit
14 Hue De Saint-Quentin - Jerusalem Se Plaint Et Li Païs
15 Anonyme - Pastourelle: Chevauchoie Lez Un Bruel
16 Blondel De Nesle - Chanson D'amour: A La Dolçor D'esté Qui Renverdoie

Directed By - Gérard Le Vot
Bagpipes - Patrick Verdié
Drum - Gérard Le Vot
Flute - Patrick Verdié
Lute - Salah A Mohammad, Jean-Claude Trichard (tracks: 3,16),
Rebec - Julien Skowron
Tambourine - Patrick Verdié
Vielle - Julien Skowron, Paul Fustier
Vocals - Anne-Marie Lablaude (tracks: 10,13,15), Dominique Vellard (tracks: 4,6), Elisabeth Renault (tracks: 2), Gérard Le Vot (tracks: 1,3,5,7,8,9,11,14,15,16), Jean-Blaise Roch (tracks: 12)

Carlo Gesualdo

Mandryka hello, do you like Jaufre Rudel, sedely I only found one album dedicated to him and this composer deserve better, he was a great Troubadour and one of my ancestor of Town of Blaya, I'm a proud occitan, we have a nice Flag, don't you think.

How about in this trend  other composer troubadour of Occitania and  our history of great Trouvere, ask you're buddy of Occitania to participate, GMG occitanic people of Spain , France, Italy participate, most of us Occitan love Troubadour  and mostly ars subtilior.

Bonne journée tres cher Monsieur ,vous etes un grand homme je vous respecte 100%.Deuxio vous etes un connaisseur et un érudit de la musique ancienne vous avez gagner mon respect depuis longtemps.

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on July 30, 2021, 04:53:29 AM
Mandryka hello, do you like Jaufre Rudel, sedely I only found one album dedicated to him and this composer deserve better, he was a great Troubadour and one of my ancestor of Town of Blaya, I'm a proud occitan, we have a nice Flag, don't you think.

How about in this trend  other composer troubadour of Occitania and  our history of great Trouvere, ask you're buddy of Occitania to participate, GMG occitanic people of Spain , France, Italy participate, most of us Occitan love Troubadour  and mostly ars subtilior.

Bonne journée tres cher Monsieur ,vous etes un grand homme je vous respecte 100%.Deuxio vous etes un connaisseur et un érudit de la musique ancienne vous avez gagner mon respect depuis longtemps.

Medieval troubadour music is very much a living thing in occitanie, you hear it being sung in town squares, market places. Jauffre Rudel figures on one of my favourite CDs -

J'apprécie vos aimables paroles et je vous remercie.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 12, 2021, 04:49:27 AM

This is 4 CDs worth of Troubadour stuff from René Clemencic, you know what to expect. I've only just got it, and I'm listening to CD 3 now, picked at random.

Very very entertaining!

This is a constant source of pleasure! Well worth acquiring.

Mandryka

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.medievalacademy.org/resource/resmgr/maa_books_online/switten_0093_bkmrkdpdf.pdf

Margaret Switten's book on Raimon de Miraval

(Interesting especially because it looks at the melodies -- not many troubadour songs come with music in the manuscript sources.)

Mandryka

Diabolus in Musica, La Chambre des Dames. Probably a decent recording of rare music but completely ruined by the sound. Avoid.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 15, 2022, 10:56:38 PM

Diabolus in Musica, La Chambre des Dames. Probably a decent recording of rare music but completely ruined by the sound. Avoid.

Well, I got it many years ago and have lived with the sound.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν