Ingrid Haebler

Started by George, July 30, 2022, 04:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9361845--ingrid-haebler-the-philips-legacy

Since this new box set was released recently, I thought I would ask folks for their opinions of her recordings. I have heard almost nothing from her before. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

T. D.

She made some well-regarded Mozart recordings.
Some of them were cribbed as part of the infamous Joyce Hatto scam.

George

Quote from: T. D. on July 30, 2022, 05:13:47 PM
She made some well-regarded Mozart recordings.
Some of them were cribbed as part of the infamous Joyce Hatto scam.

Thanks.

I know there is a Denon Mozart sonata set, do you know if she also recorded them for Philips?

T. D.

Quote from: George on July 30, 2022, 05:16:22 PM
Thanks.

I know there is a Denon Mozart sonata set, do you know if she also recorded them for Philips?

Looks that way. The Presto link you gave shows Piano Sonatas 1-18. Lots of Mozart in the box, at a quick (subject to error) glance more than any other composer.

Mandryka

The word I would use to describe her Denon Mozart is comforting. It's sweet and comforting - it's also quite leisurely.

I have a recording of The French Suites by her with a similar vibe.

She's the Apple Strudel of piano music: delicious and it kind of slows you down and gives you a lovely internal glow. And makes you want to take a snooze.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Good, but not top five choice Mozart and Schubert based on my listening. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

premont

Someone (GURN I think) wrote elsewhere, that Ingrid Haebler has an ability to make the pianoforte sound like a fortepiano.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

I just listened to her play K311 on Philips and on Denon. I prefer the Denon in every way, but there's not much in it, they're clearly the same piano player, same basic idea of what the music should sound like. The Denon is a bit more spirited in the allegro con spirito, the Philips is a bit more precious sounding. The recorded sound is better on Denon, but Philips is totally listenable.  If this random sample of one is indicative of things generally, then I'd say that if you want the Mozart and can get it, get the Denon, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter much.

George

Thanks a lot, guys.

I had sampled some of her recordings on Spotify and liked some of it, but didn't love any of it.

My favorite Classical Music recordings review book almost ignores her work entirely, as does Dubal in his book on Pianists, so I wondered why. I think I now know why.

No offense to those who like her, of course. It just that this is a $160 box set, so a big investment. And since boxes go OOP lightning fast these days, I wasn't some quick info. So again, thanks!   

Jo498

In a more "local" classical world, Haebler was rather highly regarded in some circles in Austria and Germany. But because of the limited repertoire, often well covered by other pianists this fame was rather limited. I have not heard any of her recordings. Her best known recordings might be the Mozart and Beethoven violin sonata accompaniment for Szeryng(?). She is still alive (93).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: Jo498 on July 31, 2022, 09:05:31 AM
In a more "local" classical world, Haebler was rather highly regarded in some circles in Austria and Germany. But because of the limited repertoire, often well covered by other pianists this fame was rather limited. I have not heard any of her recordings. Her best known recordings might be the Mozart and Beethoven violin sonata accompaniment for Szeryng(?). She is still alive (93).

Yeah I love her LvB VS. I  Had one disk of them and I believe they're out of print. maybe after this Box is out for a while they'll re-release them separately.

J.A.W.

Haebler got some attention over here at the time with her Mozart and Beethoven Piano/Violin Sonatas with Henryk Szeryng, which are all included in the now OOP Szeryng Philips box. I once heard her playing style described as "pretty", which, to my ears, fits the mark.

Amazon Italy currently offers the set for a pre-order price of 118 euros. They mention an August 3 release date.
Hans

Mandryka

Quote from: J.A.W. on July 31, 2022, 04:34:35 PM
Haebler got some attention over here at the time with her Mozart and Beethoven Piano/Violin Sonatas with Henryk Szeryng, which are all included in the now OOP Szeryng Philips box. I once heard her playing style described as "pretty", which, to my ears, fits the mark.

Amazon Italy currently offers the set for a pre-order price of 118 euros. They mention an August 3 release date.

I think the Mozart sonatas with Szeryng is OK, mainly but not entirely because of Szeryng. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

mabuse

I already own this box of 34 cds published in Korea ten years ago:

I never tire of it.
In these interpretations I really believe I find the quintessence of the brilliant Viennese tradition...  :-*

Herman

Back in vinyl days I used to have a box of her Schubert sonatas, and I don't regret this.

Great to hear she's still alive.

Verena

I listened to her Schubert D. 894 a couple of weeks ago, the one on swr (download only I guess) and was really impressed - for the first time. Maybe I was just in the mood for Schubert.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

George

FWIW, Jed Distler on Classics Today gives the Haebler box set 7/7 out of 10/10.

Mandryka

The thing that caught my attention as not being totally correct there was the idea that Goldberg/Lupu are edgy and angular. I'll have to listen to the Mozart with Ludwig Hoffmann.

(That's the first time I've seen a review by Distler. And it's a long long time since I last read that sort of journalism. I think that one of the consequences of Spotify for me is that, for the past 10 years, I've just not felt the need for that sort of thing because I can listen for myself so easily. Still, he did put me on to the Mozart duets, so that's something.)