Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on December 03, 2019, 07:13:27 PM
I have the physical CDs, have played them once, liked what I heard.
BIS has stuffed three concertos onto one disc, so CD 1 is 87 minutes long!

I also got the Brautigam's set of Variations, Bagatelles, etc. That in fact landed today.

I've bought FLAC downloads that had way too much on a disk to put on a physical disk, but not actual disks with that much over! I do have some that are 81 minutes, but 87; that's a mystery. Glad you liked them though, that's good to know. I think I will too; Brautigam is hard to dislike. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

milk

Mandryka

Premont - you liked Rübsam on lute harpsichord. I think you should hear Koch's Beethoven sonatas. Both Koch and Rübsam are exploring ways of expressing contrapuntal music with a keyboard. I think they would approve of each other.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 02, 2022, 01:50:13 PM

Premont - you liked Rübsam on lute harpsichord. I think you should hear Koch's Beethoven sonatas. Both Koch and Rübsam are exploring ways of expressing contrapuntal music with a keyboard. I think they would approve of each other.

I acquired this set some months ago. I find his playing a bit mannered, so he is probably an acquired taste - like Rübsam. Need to listen more to him.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

It was op 26 which caught my attention, especially the first movement.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 02, 2022, 08:37:40 PM
It was op 26 which caught my attention, especially the first movement.

Thanks, I shall concentrate upon that.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

staxomega

I can't remember if this was mentioned in the new releases thread last year.

JBS

Cross post

First listen tonight

The cello sonatas were interesting and involving. Not my favorite Beethoven, but these sounded like different works than I remember from previous recordings.

The Bagatelles were underpowered, boring, and crying out to be played on a Steinway.

So a very mixed bag, and a definite miss by Staier.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

The two older chamber music discs with Staier (+ Sepec) with two violin sonatas and trios I used to find very good while I was not as fond of the Diabelli variations as I had expected to be. Since then he apparently recorded a few Beethoven sonatas (opp.31, 34, 35) but I have not heard them and hadn't even been aware of the recordings.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

staxomega

Thoughts on van Immerseel/Schroeder for the Violin Sonatas or other complete sets? I haven't heard the former in ages, nor have I kept up with other complete sets if they do exist.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 01:21:57 PM
Cross post

First listen tonight

The cello sonatas were interesting and involving. Not my favorite Beethoven, but these sounded like different works than I remember from previous recordings.

The Bagatelles were underpowered, boring, and crying out to be played on a Steinway.

So a very mixed bag, and a definite miss by Staier.

Disappointing review,  I was intrigued the other day when I saw it on offer: Dieltens is one of my favorite cellists.  😑

🤠😎

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2022, 05:36:19 AM
Disappointing review,  I was intrigued the other day when I saw it on offer: Dieltens is one of my favorite cellists.  😑

🤠😎

My problem was with the Bagatelles; the Cello Sonatas were rather good. So if Dieltens is the draw for you, it will probably satisfy.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on August 19, 2022, 11:43:49 AM
My problem was with the Bagatelles; the Cello Sonatas were rather good. So if Dieltens is the draw for you, it will probably satisfy.

Oh, alrighty then. I have many fine versions of the bagatelles, but the cello works need something special. Roel is the man!

8)