Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 16, 2008, 02:56:19 AM
Sign it today!!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savallbeethoven/
The first half of the sentence in that link says:

Considering Savall's recording of the Eroica is by for the benchmark for this piece

Now I am not signing a petition where whoever wrote it didn't bother fixing a simple grammatical error.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 16, 2008, 05:51:11 AM

Considering Savall's recording of the Eroica is by for the benchmark for this piece

Now I am not signing a petition where whoever wrote it didn't bother fixing a simple grammatical error.

In addition to the "by for," the first sentence contains a dangling participle and the second is missing an apostrophe. Of course, the notion that Savall's Eroica is some kind of "benchmark" is ludicrous in itself, but considering that Fontalis has already discontinued the recording, it's unlikely we will be treated to eight more examples of Mr. Savall's Beethovenesque art.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Sforzando on July 16, 2008, 06:21:31 AM
In addition to the "by for," the first sentence contains a dangling participle and the second is missing an apostrophe. Of course, the notion that Savall's Eroica is some kind of "benchmark" is ludicrous in itself, but considering that Fontalis has already discontinued the recording, it's unlikely we will be treated to eight more examples of Mr. Savall's Beethovenesque art.

Well thanks for pointing these things out chaps, I rushed this out this morning before work and didn't read it through. I have changed the text, but its notion is correct I'm afraid, there's no Eroica to touch this one at the moment. But you're right circumstances may require Savall to record no3 again in addition! But if Immerseel can get a contract for this music surely Savall can too!!

Those who want to sign the petition please see the link in my signature...
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 16, 2008, 07:02:59 AM

Getting lots of signatures, Rod?

Sorin Eushayson

Yes, Savall's Eroica has the raw energy and power needed for this piece; the brass sing like Napoleonic war-horns and the drums pound out the theme of countless battles...  8)  A brilliant recording, here; would be great to see what he could do with the other 8...  ;D

Bunny

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 16, 2008, 05:51:11 AM

That is a spelling error: "by for" should read by far. 

"Considering Savall's recording of the Eroica is by far the benchmark for this piece, it is a crime to the world of art that he has not recorded the other 8 Beethoven symphonies."   

Quote from: Sforzando on July 16, 2008, 06:21:31 AM

I'm not sure  "considering"  is a dangling participle as it's being used as the action form of the verb, making it a gerund.
There is also a grammatical error in the second sentence: There is no comma separating the independent clause from the dependent clause, "and hopefully redress it." 

That sentence corrected should read: "This petition aims to draw the world's attention to the matter, and hopefully [to] redress it." 

The "to" is probably optional although "redress"  is being used as an infinitive.

scarpia

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 16, 2008, 07:02:59 AM
Well thanks for pointing these things out chaps, I rushed this out this morning before work and didn't read it through. I have changed the text, but its notion is correct I'm afraid, there's no Eroica to touch this one at the moment. But you're right circumstances may require Savall to record no3 again in addition! But if Immerseel can get a contract for this music surely Savall can too!!

You seem to be suffering from the delusion that record companies are charitable organizations.  They are not.  The only "petition" the record companies will recognize is if someone actually buys the record, which was evidently not the case for this recording.   This is the mechanism insures that performances of high quality are recorded and performances of poor quality are not.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: scarpia on July 16, 2008, 07:26:22 AM
You seem to be suffering from the delusion that record companies are charitable organizations.  They are not.  The only "petition" the record companies will recognize is if someone actually buys the record, which was evidently not the case for this recording.   This is the mechanism insures that performances of high quality are recorded and performances of poor quality are not.

I do not under any circumstances suffer from this delusion. If Savall produced a new set of these works to the same standard as his Eroica CD they would outsell van Immerseel's recent set by a factor of 50 to 1. That I guarantee. I would promote it indefinitely at my site for one thing! It's a matter of getting the right people for the job, something the CM business is not the best at I admit, hence the petition.  ;)

Sorin Eushayson

In fact, if I'm not mistaken (always a possibility, though! ;D), they reissued the Savall/Eroica recording remastered in 2001...  Why would they do that if it were a poor/underselling recording...?  ??? Hmm... strange.

scarpia

Quote from: Sorin Eushayson on July 16, 2008, 07:57:00 AM
In fact, if I'm not mistaken (always a possibility, though! ;D), they reissued the Savall/Eroica recording remastered in 2001...  Why would they do that if it were a poor/underselling recording...?  ??? Hmm... strange.

Might have had something to do with the fact that the original company got taken over.  The fact that more recordings were not made might indicate that Savall demanded and exorbitant fee, that the original recording sold poorly, or that Savall was unhappy with the way it turned out didn't want to record any more.  If Savall wants to record more Beethoven presumably he could manage it, he seems to be quite good at promoting himself. 

Rod Corkin

Quote from: scarpia on July 16, 2008, 08:11:45 AM
Might have had something to do with the fact that the original company got taken over.  The fact that more recordings were not made might indicate that Savall demanded and exorbitant fee, that the original recording sold poorly, or that Savall was unhappy with the way it turned out didn't want to record any more.  If Savall wants to record more Beethoven presumably he could manage it, he seems to be quite good at promoting himself. 

There are a lot of maybes in that paragraph! But why downplay something that costs nothing? You can listen to your Karajan re-releases all you like, I'm not stopping you...  ::)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Bunny on July 16, 2008, 07:19:42 AM
I'm not sure  "considering"  is a dangling participle as it's being used as the action form of the verb, making it a gerund.

A gerund functions as a noun. In the following sentence, the first word is a gerund: "Talking things over usually helps."

"Considering" as used above is a participle ("the action form of the verb"), and as written lacked a subject.

But basically I was just razzing the Corkster.  ;D

Bunny

Quote from: Sforzando on July 16, 2008, 08:36:02 AM
A gerund functions as a noun. In the following sentence, the first word is a gerund: "Talking things over usually helps."

"Considering" as used above is a participle ("the action form of the verb"), and as written lacked a subject.

But basically I was just razzing the Corkster.  ;D

Basically I was just razzing you. ;D

scarpia

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 16, 2008, 08:18:52 AM
There are a lot of maybes in that paragraph! But why downplay something that costs nothing? You can listen to your Karajan re-releases all you like, I'm not stopping you...  ::)

Of course it is not worth my time, but your ludicrous assertion that this obscure recording is "by far the benchmark" rankles.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Sforzando on July 16, 2008, 08:37:29 AM
Proof positive of infinite sales!

If people want the low-down on Beethoven recordings the smart ones come to Uncle Rodders, as thousands, nay millions, done for well over a decade. I haven't received a penny though myself for all the sales I have generated over the years, I confess my business acumen was never as good as my musical acumen. But enough about me. ;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 16, 2008, 11:46:29 AM
If people want the low-down on Beethoven recordings the smart ones come to Uncle Rodders, as thousands, nay millions, done for well over a decade. I haven't received a penny though myself for all the sales I have generated over the years, I confess my business acumen was never as good as my musical acumen. But enough about me. ;D

Then your business acumen must be very weak indeed.

scarpia

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 16, 2008, 11:46:29 AM

Well, why not put your money where your mouth is, contact Savall, hire some engineers to record his Beethoven cycle under your direction, and put it on the market.  Then we'll all have to eat crow as you roll in dough.  Or maybe you'll end up in debtors prison.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: scarpia on July 16, 2008, 11:43:43 AM
Of course it is not worth my time, but your ludicrous assertion that this obscure recording is "by far the benchmark" rankles.

I gather your signature will not be forthcoming?

Rod Corkin

Quote from: scarpia on July 16, 2008, 11:55:05 AM
Well, why not put your money where your mouth is, contact Savall, hire some engineers to record his Beethoven cycle under your direction, and put it on the market.  Then we'll all have to eat crow as you roll in dough.  Or maybe you'll end up in debtors prison.

Hey you've hit on something there, I don't need Savall!! I could do the music direction myself at least as good!! I've got no money to invest though, as I said my business acumen is not what it could be. What a loss to Art through want of a few Shillings...  :-\