Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

How nice to read your review as I already have ordered the last one.  It should be in my mailbox any day now. :)

Meanwhile, I've been waiting and waiting for the Castle Trio's recording of the Archduke and Kakadu Variations.  Everytime I order it, I get the message that it's no longer available. :(

Now that ArkivMusic.com has made an agreement to do licensed copies of EMI and Virgin's  music, hopefully it will be back in the catalog.  Or perhaps it will be available as a lossless download from itunes.

Que

After some encouragement by Premont (thanks for that :)) I went with some Beethoven by Paul Komen.
Well, I thought I had all my HIP revelations behind, NOT quite as it turns out!

Boy, this is good stuff. I'll go with HIP on the piano sonatas from now on.
Will seek out Komen's other discs and try Brautigam as well.
The late sonatas come across as less formal and much more colourfull and delicate at moments. Komen is a thoughtfull and sensitive pianist. Tempi are not generally faster, but do seem quite flexible. In a way these performances remind me most - amongst non-HIP - of Schnabel's direct, spontaneous and colourfull renditions.
But Komen is less idiosyncratic and more considered than Schnabel - who thrives on the moment.

The Diabelli disc on Ars Musici is astonishing too. The recording (2004) is a bit more "spacious"/less direct than that of the sonatas on Globe. But the instrument (Conrad Graf 1824) is marvellous. So is the performance - I sat on the edge of my seat in amazement and admiration from start to finish. Exuberance, excitement, tenderness and reflection, it's all there.

I know, it sounds too good to be true. But I'm sold. 8)

Q

Bunny

That's it, the question is whether my wallet can take another hit. :o

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on May 17, 2007, 04:07:49 PM

Yes dear Bunny we know it can.  :)

I will get the Komen Diabelli recording as well, given how much I like his sonatas on Globe.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

Quote from: fl.traverso on May 20, 2007, 08:59:35 AM
Yes dear Bunny we know it can.  :)

I will get the Komen Diabelli recording as well, given how much I like his sonatas on Globe.

That Diabelli recording has to ordered from overseas, and the postage is a nasty part of the hit.  If I could source it a bit nearer to home, that would certainly be a great relief.

George

Quote from: Bunny on May 17, 2007, 04:07:49 PM

If there is plastic within... ::)

Haffner

Quote from: George on May 20, 2007, 09:59:34 AM
If there is plastic within... ::)

BOIIIIIIIING! tttttthhhhWWWWHAAAAAACK!

FideLeo

Quote from: Haffner on May 20, 2007, 10:02:59 AM

BOIIIIIIIING! tttttthhhhWWWWHAAAAAACK!

:o :o :o :D ;D   

Honestly, for such a divinely hip recording (if it is on the same level as his five
Globe sonata discs) there can't be anything nasty about its purchase.  ;)
BTW, I agree with Que about Komen.  His is very sensitive and thoughtful playing.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: hautbois on April 23, 2007, 09:28:59 AM

If you like excitement, Beethoven, and a lot of farting horns ;D, this will knock you off!

The original image is gone now. Can someone tell me what recording or recordings hautbois was talking about? Thanks.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 13, 2007, 03:35:24 AM
The original image is gone now. Can someone tell me what recording or recordings hautbois was talking about? Thanks.

Sarge

Damn!  Better pm hautbois.

Sergeant Rock

SonicMan46

String Quartets, Op. 18 w/ Quatuor Mosaiques - now have all 3 discs in my collection - just posted on the listening thread - outstanding performances - all reviewed by Scott Morrison on Amazon - looking forward to more in the cycle from the QMs!  :D

Bunny

I posted the Immerseel / Octophoros recording of the quintets on the "thinking of buying" thread, but no one seems to have anything to say, so I'll try here.  If anyone can tell me anything about this recording, I'd be very grateful. 

Sergeant Rock

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on June 13, 2007, 02:07:31 PM
I posted the Immerseel / Octophoros recording of the quintets on the "thinking of buying" thread, but no one seems to have anything to say, so I'll try here.  If anyone can tell me anything about this recording, I'd be very grateful. 

That one is among my earliest purchased HIP recordings (recorded early 1990s?), and I liked it a lot until I got the Levin/AAM recording.  It is because not so much of the interpretation, which is very fine if a bit on the neat/discreet side, as of the sound itself, which is somewhat lightweight and bright.  But the cover you show above is not the same as the one I have (same image but different design) so it may have been remastered.  Or is it only a re-release? 

Bunny

I don't know if if it has been remastered, but as I have the Levin/AAM recording, I think I'll past this one by.  Or at least until I know that it has been remastered and the sound has been significantly improved.

thanks for the info!

Que

HIP Beethoven seems to very popular these days - new "HIP Beethoven" threads are popping up like mushrooms! ;D

I somewhat hesitated to post the recordings below on this thread because they are not quite HIP, more semi-HIP or something.. :) Reason is that not a fortepiano is used but a piano.
I post it here nonetheless because it's not a modern piano but a Viennese instrument built in 1845 by Peter Rosenberger. And it sounds ab-so-lu-te-ly gorgeous.

What's important for me in respect to this choice of instrument: it works. The result is very convincingly HIP to me: the balance between the instruments is much better than in modern recordings, as is the blending of the sound. Rhythmic elements in the music for the keyboard are much better served on this instrument with a "Viennese action" - as I understand it, the hammers do not strike the string frontally, but "brush" them.

All this is topped by magnificent performances by Joannes Leertouwer and Julian Reynolds.
I couldn't find any trace of a review - I just stumbled upon volume 1 as a bargain and was intrigued by the keyboard on the cover, and Leertouwer has a good domestic reputation.
I'm very picky with Beethoven's violin sonatas, but these come IMO with the very best. I have Suk/Katchen (Supraphon) as a favourite till now, together with the historical recordings Serkin and Busch made. These are quite different: much more "Classical" in conception, but the subtler sonorities also bring out the "Romantic" elements in the later sonatas.
Found these hugely rewarding - strongly recommended.

Q

Soundproof

A small HIP triumph, of sorts.

My daughter saw my BBC "Eroica" DVD and wondered whether that was any good.
I'd seen the programme when it was broadcast and bought the DVD. We split the cellophane and settled down to watch and listen.
She's always had sensitive ears (over sensitive, in fact, she dislikes going to concerts fearing she'll hear something loud or discordant that gives her a headache).

When we were halfway she commented that she really enjoyed the raw sounds from the instruments, and was more engaged by this music than she had been of just about any other classical music I had forced upon her.
So last night was quite fun, maybe Gardiner has kindled a fire.

M forever

How do you like the sound of that performance?

Soundproof

Quote from: M forever on July 10, 2007, 05:49:39 AM
How do you like the sound of that performance?

I haven't listened to the music only version yet. But the surround sound mix for the film was excellent, with distinct details and a natural flow. Quite a feat to not make the talking over the music seem obtrusive.
I've heard this piece in so many versions over the years that it's good for the ears to hear it anew, no matter what. But as I have been hip to HIP for quite a while I quite enjoyed it, thank you!