Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Bunny on November 16, 2008, 02:16:47 PM
Phallic symbols are all over the visual arts; some intended, some not, and some merely in the mind of the beholder.

Intentions are never provable, and all interpretation is in the mind of the beholder. In context of the entire portrait, I would never associate the riding crop with anything phallic. However, the producers of this album made the association inevitable when they blew up that section and displayed it out of context.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Bulldog on November 16, 2008, 04:03:12 PM
I also like Weil's recordings of syms. 5 and 6.  I couldn't imagine anyone finding them disagreeable, but PerfectWagnerite proves me wrong.

I think I felt the same way, but I'll give it another spin.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

adamdavid80

Quote from: Sforzando on November 17, 2008, 07:42:36 AM
You're the one who referred to me as an "asshole," right, because I called out Living Stradivarius on his joining this site for the primary purpose of attacking it? You and I are not friends.

The "dude" in that portrait certainly has "wood," but it isn't turning me on.

Yes it is.  Admit it.
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Mandryka

Paul Komen plays Diabellies on an 1824 Graf.

It's great -- it has had me strapped to my seat. The piano tome is so perlucid. And it has a percussive, short tone-length which I think suits the music.

Musically, the man he calls to mind is Brendel,  live on Philips -- the "unreleased radio and concert performances" disc. Same relish of the grotesquerie and wit. Same pace.

That maybe an aberration of course -- I'll have to check sometime.

Either way Komen is musical, no doubt. This is well worth trying to hear --as are his Late sonatas.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

We're open for business. I'll gather around some previous material on period performances and bring it to this thread later.

Q

DavidW

Is Immerseel the only recent PIon cycle?  What about individual ones?  Is there a list more than one item long that can be made for this decade?  The fanfare review made it sound like it's been twenty years since a PIon cycle came out.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2010, 04:08:11 AM
Is Immerseel the only recent PIon cycle?  What about individual ones?  Is there a list more than one item long that can be made for this decade?  The fanfare review made it sound like it's been twenty years since a PIon cycle came out.

Immerseel is the most recent. I don't know that we will stick to complete cycles though. There aren't but a few of them. OTTOMH, they would be:

Norrington 1
Hogwood
Goodman/Huggett
Gardiner
Brüggen
Immerseel

Lots of singles here and there though. Like Savall's "Eroica" for example. And Herreweghe's 9th (maybe did some others that I'm not aware of too). What I am hoping is that afficionados will bring some of these rarities into the discussion so that we can all have a go at them. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Franco

Which Norrington, Stuttgart or London Classical Players - is the PI set?

DavidW

Quote from: Franco on February 09, 2010, 06:04:42 AM
Which Norrington, Stuttgart or London Classical Players - is the PI set?

London Classical Players-- the Stuttgart is on modern instruments.

Franco

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2010, 06:09:13 AM
London Classical Players-- the Stuttgart is on modern instruments.

Thanks.  Only the Stuttgard is available for download, so I guess I'll be ordering yet another CD box set.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on February 09, 2010, 06:12:05 AM
Thanks.  Only the Stuttgart is available for download, so I guess I'll be ordering yet another CD box set.

:)

You won't regret it, I don't think. It is... quirky, but I think very interesting. And FWIW, since I've heard the "historical recordings" people use this argument, it was the first PI cycle, so a pioneer. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

It is absurdly fast though, kind of weird.  I prefer Hogwood but you might have already heard that anyway.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2010, 06:18:05 AM
It is absurdly fast though, kind of weird.  I prefer Hogwood but you might have already heard that anyway.

Yes, all of that. But not unmusically so, do you think? I mean, the players can keep up with no apparent problem. :)  I bet at the time of release it opened some eyes! Like if you played it back-to-back with Bernstein Vienna from just a very few years earlier! :D

I prefer Hogwood too.

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2010, 06:28:16 AM
But not unmusically so, do you think? I mean, the players can keep up with no apparent problem. :) 

That's a good question but it's been like ten years since I've listened to it! :D  For all I know my tastes have changed since then.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2010, 06:36:03 AM
That's a good question but it's been like ten years since I've listened to it! :D  For all I know my tastes have changed since then.

For what it's worth (not much I say  ;D ) it's my favorite PI set, the most radical. I recall M forever liked it too. And at least for Europeans, incredibly cheap now: the box costing less than one full-price CD at JPC:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Ludwig-van-Beethoven-Symphonien-Nr-1-9/hnum/5018271

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Leon

I just discovered a nice set of Beethoven Violin Sonatas, (Haenssler Classic) which has one disc on modern instruments and the other disc on period instruments. It demonstrates the difference, and I must say the PI performance has much more character and seems to my ears the more interesting.

BEETHOVEN: Violin Sonatas - Historic and Modern Instruments in Comparison

Available only as a MP3 download on Amazon, but I was listening to it on the Naxos Music Library.

Opus106

Quote from: Leon on December 30, 2010, 12:02:29 PM
I just discovered a nice set of Beethoven Violin Sonatas, (Haenssler Classic) which has one disc on modern instruments and the other disc on period instruments. It demonstrates the difference, and I must say the PI performance has much more character and seems to my ears the more interesting.

BEETHOVEN: Violin Sonatas - Historic and Modern Instruments in Comparison

Available only as a MP3 download on Amazon, but I was listening to it on the Naxos Music Library.

The quoted post reminded of this set of the cello sonatas in modern and period instruments, which in turn reminded me of a similar set of the piano trios which I could have sworn was released by the same label, but for which I'm not able to find a reference in the Web.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on December 30, 2010, 10:00:35 PM
The quoted post reminded of this set of the cello sonatas in modern and period instruments, which in turn reminded me of a similar set of the piano trios which I could have sworn was released by the same label, but for which I'm not able to find a reference in the Web.

There's also a set (Naxos) of Diabelli Variations on modern v fortepiano. The guy playing them is a rather routine player, resulting in more people critiquing HIM and forgetting why they listened to the disks to start with... :D

8)

FideLeo

Linda Nicholson and Hiro Kurosaki have completed their recording of the violin sonatas.

http://www.youtube.com/v/c7dwUbWqvoE

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

david-jw

My first exposure to Op 111 was Melvyn Tan playing on a period instrument.

The rougher sound and dark timbre made the first movement even more dramatic.

This was on a TV programme in the 1980's where he was being interviewed by Roger Norrington.

Alas you only seem to be able to buy a CD of some of Tan's LVB PS, the 111 not amoung them.

I would love to hear it again.