Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on November 25, 2011, 10:48:28 AM
Not the Triple Concerto, but I like this series a lot.  It does contain PC "#6"

Arthur Schoonderwoerd / Ensemble Cristofori

[asin]B0031Q8VLU[/asin]
[asin]B0009WFR5W[/asin]
[asin]B001716JLK[/asin]

:)

Yup, nice series IMO also. It rankles some because it is clearly chamber size. And Schoonderwoerd tends to go off script sometimes, but I feel strongly that if we had heard it back then, going off script, even by Beethoven let alone everyone else who played it, was a routine sort of thing. It wasn't until they were 'canonized' that the manuscript paper suddenly turned to stone. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

milk

Quote from: Arnold on November 25, 2011, 10:48:28 AM
Not the Triple Concerto, but I like this series a lot.  It does contain PC "#6"

Arthur Schoonderwoerd / Ensemble Cristofori

[asin]B0031Q8VLU[/asin]
[asin]B0009WFR5W[/asin]
[asin]B001716JLK[/asin]

:)

I love this series!!!!!

Geo Dude

This recording has probably already been discussed extensively in this thread, but I wish to throw my hat in the ring:

[asin]B00004W5A1[/asin]

After a few listens I can say that it is great, great, great!  I'm not normally one for single discs of very popular (I hesitate to say 'over-played') works, preferring box sets, but I jumped on this one due to a combination of low price, good reviews in the purchases thread, and a good feeling.  I love it!  The interpretations are excellent and show no HIP stereotypes (thin sound, extreme tempos, etc.) and I particularly love how sweet-toned the fortepiano is.  If anyone is having trouble adjusting to HIP recordings due to the 'clangy' or vaguely harpsichord-esque sound of fortepianos, I think this is the one to start with.  The price on the marketplace is great, too.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 27, 2011, 12:12:03 PM
This recording has probably already been discussed extensively in this thread, but I wish to throw my hat in the ring:

[asin]B00004W5A1[/asin]

After a few listens I can say that it is great, great, great!  I'm not normally one for single discs of very popular (I hesitate to say 'over-played') works, preferring box sets, but I jumped on this one due to a combination of low price, good reviews in the purchases thread, and a good feeling.  I love it!  The interpretations are excellent and show no HIP stereotypes (thin sound, extreme tempos, etc.) and I particularly love how sweet-toned the fortepiano is.  If anyone is having trouble adjusting to HIP recordings due to the 'clangy' or vaguely harpsichord-esque sound of fortepianos, I think this is the one to start with.  The price on the marketplace is great, too.

I am a huge fan of Beths & Bylsma, who are L'Archibudelli along with any other instrumentalist they need at the time. Back in the mid-1990's, when I was in a record club to find new recordings (I wasn't on line yet and knew no one; we all know the feeling, I think) I bought all of their Beethoven disks, not because they were PI or HIP, because I was unaware of the existence of such things. But because they were available and they seemed to play the off-the-beaten-path stuff (my first PI disks were their 2 disks of Beethoven's String Trios). So I got a big dose of PI without knowing I was. Ultimately, it goes without saying that the sound of fortepiano, gut strings and playing repeats, all at brisk tempos, is what I imprinted on and to me, that's what sounds 'right'. That's one man's story... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Geo Dude

Any tips on HIP recordings of the string trios?

If there are none, any tips on modern instrument recordings?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 04, 2011, 03:39:29 PM
Any tips on HIP recordings of the string trios?

If there are none, any tips on modern instrument recordings?

[asin]B00000296F[/asin][asin]B0000027VX[/asin]

These are not only the only recordings of which I am aware (and I am aware of such things! :D ), but IMO are the only ones you need anyway. Lovely tone, great playing. Surprisingly available!  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Tom Beghin (Clavichord) - Hob 16_13 Sonata in E for Clavier 1st mvmt - Moderato

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 04, 2011, 04:14:43 PM

These are not only the only recordings of which I am aware (and I am aware of such things! :D ), but IMO are the only ones you need anyway. Lovely tone, great playing. Surprisingly available!  :)

Gurn to the rescue!  I should have seen that coming. :D  Thanks for the tip, they've been wish listed and will hopefully end up on the buy list next month.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 04, 2011, 04:14:43 PM

Hi Gurn - boy that is a crowded field if the non-HIP performances are also included! As you know, I love the L'Archibudelli group and have many of their recordings but each of those above is going for $20 on the AMP - ouch! 

My two recordings are the older one w/ Grumiaux et al and the one inserted above w/ the Zurich String Trio - a performance that Jerry Dubins enjoyed (reprinted HERE); now, in looking through the Amazon offerings the one on Musica Omnia showed up - now I've purchased a lot of discs from this label but not familiar w/ this group to comment on their instrumentation, i.e. HIP or otherwise - let's see others might 'chime in'?  Dave :)

Que

Those interested in the trio recordings by Bylsma, Beths and Küssmaul on Sony Vivarte might want to take note of this news! :)

Q

Leo K.

Soon, hopefully sometime today, I am going to hear Immerseel's Beethoven Symphonies...can't wait to hear!

8)

Elgarian

Quote from: Leo K on December 07, 2011, 10:44:13 AM
Soon, hopefully sometime today, I am going to hear Immerseel's Beethoven Symphonies...can't wait to hear!

Did you start with the 5th? Did you punch the air? Did you strut? Did you bop?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Elgarian on December 07, 2011, 12:37:36 PM

All reasonable questions, and ones demanding an answer. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Well, back to the String Trios:D

Now, I would love to obtain the L'Archibudelli discs but the price at present is just too much; SO, the recordings below are of interest to me.  Musica Omnia is an excellent label but I do not know the Adaskin String Trio except that they are from Canada, have played together many years, and specialize in this type of music (NOT a bad set of criteria for a good performance, me thinks!) - and also an excellent review reprinted HERE - assume 'modern' instruments but not sure (the review does not help)?

Second, the Leopold String Trio - now on a Dyad and available at BRO for $8 only!  In my previous post here, Jerry Dubins said that this was his favorite performance of these works (when reviewing the set that I do own in Fanfare).

Bottom line - has anyone heard these two 'options' - if so, opinions, comments, reservations, etc.?  Thanks - Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 07, 2011, 12:54:41 PM
Well, back to the String Trios:D

Now, I would love to obtain the L'Archibudelli discs but the price at present is just too much

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on December 06, 2011, 01:59:11 PM
Those interested in the trio recordings by Bylsma, Beths and Küssmaul (L'Archibudelli) on Sony Vivarte might want to take note of this news! :)

Q

SonicMan46

Now Q - I've already seen these links and reviewed the options - NOTHING is available at the moment and not sure that Sony will come through w/ these small or larger boxes?  So, not of much help at the moment for L'Archibudelli, even in my wish to own these recordings -  :(

My question(s) were related to the recordings posted - both seem to be 'top notch', so I was just curious if some of our members may have heard these offerings from Musica Omina & Hyperion - Dave :)

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 07, 2011, 04:45:25 PM
Now Q - I've already seen these links and reviewed the options - NOTHING is available at the moment and not sure that Sony will come through w/ these small or larger boxes?  So, not of much help at the moment for L'Archibudelli, even in my wish to own these recordings -  :(

My question(s) were related to the recordings posted - both seem to be 'top notch', so I was just curious if some of our members may have heard these offerings from Musica Omina & Hyperion - Dave :)

My French is tres mal, but that link seemed to offering pre-release pricing, which suggests something is rather definite in the pipeline.

Geo Dude

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 07, 2011, 04:45:25 PM

To be fair, the pricing on the L'Archibudelli recordings was not bad the last time I checked if you were willing to order them used.  Good luck in your search, in any case.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 07, 2011, 07:25:28 PM
To be fair, the pricing on the L'Archibudelli recordings was not bad the last time I checked if you were willing to order them used.  Good luck in your search, in any case.

When I originally linked them, one was $8.59 and the other, IIRC was 9.95. Certainly not OTT pricewise! Maybe those are sold out now?

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Elgarian on December 07, 2011, 12:37:36 PM

I started with the 1st, 2nd and 4th :)

And yes! I did punch the air and bop! All accept strut :)

Wow! So far I'm very impressed with this set. What I've heard is sublime. The last new Beethoven cycle I tried was the Vanska, but this set blows that set to bits. The Norrington cycle was my top set but that is changing now ;) Also, for the 9th I usually gravitate towards Furtwangler. But lately Ive been in the mood for a new PI account of not just the 9th but the whole cycle.

Also, I can't wait to hear the 5th!

chasmaniac

Quote from: Leo K on December 07, 2011, 10:44:13 AM

8)

I more than like this set. I'm grateful for it because it helped shake me out of a can't-listen-to-that-old-grump funk of long standing.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217