Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 01, 2013, 08:05:40 AM
Just for the record, some four or five years ago, I posted about the existence of this usually forgotten (and hard to get) set of violin sonatas played on period instruments:

:)

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. You can't blame me to forget Boyan's last name... :)  I probably heard about it from you though. I just don't mention it because I can't imagine where you could buy it today!

Good 'un though. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

San Antone

One disc with Nos. 1, 3 and 5 (Spring) is available through MOG, but not the rest.

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 01, 2013, 08:22:18 AM
Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. You can't blame me to forget Boyan's last name... :)  I probably heard about it from you though. I just don't mention it because I can't imagine where you could buy it today!

Good 'un though. :)

8)

Sorry, I didn't see your post.  :)

I guess this set never was broadly available out of Japan. I bought my own copy at cdjapan.co.jp.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 30, 2013, 04:52:59 PM
It would, of course, be on the greatest label ever (for such things :) );

Indeed, for example, the recording that just arrived in the mail today.

Now they just need to do the moral thing and give us the five middle quartets.  And the five late quartets.

Pat B

Quote from: Pat B on April 23, 2013, 10:26:36 PM
This thread has put quite a dent in my wallet. The Eroica Quartet disc arrived a while ago. First impression of it was good but not great. The Schuppanzigh Quartet is on its way (slowly).

Just re-listened to the Eroica disc. I enjoyed it more the second time. There is some surprising shakiness by the 1st violin in the 1st movement of the "Harp" -- enough to be a real distraction for me, and I don't particularly listen for technical perfection. But aside from that, a very enjoyable disc.

Schuppanzigh still hasn't shown up. :(

Geo Dude

I've never been a fan of Beethoven's sonatas for violin before, but this set is really agreeing with me.  I imagine that a combination of factors are in place:  Perhaps the previous set was simply too middle of the road for my tastes; perhaps (I suspect this is a large part of it) I've mellowed out since the last time I've tried to give them a listen; it could also be the period instruments, though.  I find that the fortepiano to balance quite well with the violin.  In any case, I listened to the first five sonatas in a row last night, so I'd have to say that I disagree with the Amazon reviewer. :)

kishnevi

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 14, 2013, 12:02:47 PM

I've never been a fan of Beethoven's sonatas for violin before, but this set is really agreeing with me.  I imagine that a combination of factors are in place:  Perhaps the previous set was simply too middle of the road for my tastes; perhaps (I suspect this is a large part of it) I've mellowed out since the last time I've tried to give them a listen; it could also be the period instruments, though. 

Based on my experience with the Franks's recording of Schubert's works for violin and piano,  I'd blame the recording.   The Schubert was very bland,  and I wouldn't be surprised if their Beethoven was just as blah.

If you're interesed in an MI performance,  I would suggest Faust/Melnikov.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 15, 2013, 10:21:22 AM
Based on my experience with the Franks's recording of Schubert's works for violin and piano,  I'd blame the recording.   The Schubert was very bland,  and I wouldn't be surprised if their Beethoven was just as blah.

What do you think of Zehetmair/Frager? (Is that a period performance? I don't know.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kishnevi

Quote from: Mandryka on May 15, 2013, 10:25:30 AM
What do you think of Zehetmair/Frager? (Is that a period performance? I don't know.)

Sorry, don't have it.   But the idea of a Zehetmair performance sounds interesting.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 15, 2013, 10:21:22 AM

You may be right:  At the time I didn't enjoy 'mellow' music the way I do now and that could have played a part for a significant portion of the sonatas, but I'm pretty sure that the performance didn't help.  If I recall correctly it was actually praised at the time for being the very definition of middle of the road and that approach doesn't always work well for me.

I'm not currently interested in an MI performance but if I was I would head straight for Faust based on previous good experience with her work.  (Her Brahms Violin Concerto/Sextet disc is excellent.)  Something to keep in mind for the future. :)

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 15, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Seems to be a partial PI recording, at least Frager is playing a  Broadwood & son 1805. Zehetmaiers violin is not specified.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=4297514
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pat B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 30, 2013, 07:30:47 PM
While I'm ordering the Immerseel/Schroder set (which is so cheap that it's suspicious!),  I noticed this one, mentioned favorably in the lone Amazon review (who liked the Fluve and disliked this one) of the set I'm ordering.  Anyone know of it?

(Violin sonatas 5 and 9 by Evan Johnson and Anthony Newman)

Sorry for the slow response, but I just got around to listening it.

The first thing I notice is that Johnson's tone is very abrasive. I think that's at least partly due to engineering (close miking). Whatever the reason, it makes Kremer sound like Milstein. Technically he is not flawless but I can deal with that. On the plus side, and most importantly to me, I like his style, which is dynamic, musical, and confident.

Tempi are generally fast, especially in the Kreutzer, but don't sound rushed. They fluctuate quite a bit, but I didn't notice any egregious agogic hesitations. Vibrato is very minimal. All of which is fine with me.

Newman seemed rather straightforward in the slow movement of Spring but better elsewhere. As someone who missed his heyday and has none of his other recordings, I can't help but be intrigued by him. I get the feeling the serious-music industry treats him as the Virgil Fox of the HIP movement, which seems unfair or at least curious.

I probably wouldn't recommend this as a first version. But since you already have at least two others, go for it if you can handle the tone.

Opus106

Lubimov has moved over to Alpha, to record Opp. 27/2, 31/2 and 53.

https://soundcloud.com/outhere-music/beethoven-moonlight-sonata

I find it a tad hard to hear the 1802 Erard in the sample.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on July 13, 2013, 07:22:45 AM

I thought it was wonderful! Compare, if you can, to the same piece in this earlier Lubimov CD (1994) which he plays on an 1806 Broadwood. The Erard has a much rounder and smoother tone, and I don't think it has broken strings like the Broadwood appears to have. Of course, if it was Beethoven's pianoforte, then the broken strings just add to the authenticity! :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 13, 2013, 07:37:24 AM
I thought it was wonderful! Compare, if you can, to the same piece in this earlier Lubimov CD (1994) which he plays on an 1806 Broadwood. The Erard has a much rounder and smoother tone, and I don't think it has broken strings like the Broadwood appears to have. Of course, if it was Beethoven's pianoforte, then the broken strings just add to the authenticity! :)

8)

Will do. Just a day or two ago, I was reminded that it's been a while since I'd listened to the Erato recording. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on July 13, 2013, 07:43:56 AM
Will do. Just a day or two ago, I was reminded that it's been a while since I'd listened to the Erato recording. :)

Yeah, I've always really liked it, but I don't rec it to people unless they are warped to the same degree I am. :)  But if you really like the sound of period pianos, this is a peach. I think the Erard sounded quite nice though. Thanks for the link, I'll likely snap that one up.

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Opus106 on July 13, 2013, 07:22:45 AM

Thanks, Nav. It's a glorious fortepiano, full of delightful colours, lights and shadows. Obviously, Lubimov has something to do with that, too.   ;D

I think it will be a mandatory acquisition.  :)

P.S.: Maybe your PC needs some upgrade.  :D

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Oh, one more:

[asin]B00CHFODJU[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on July 14, 2013, 01:21:22 AM
Oh, one more:

[asin]B00CHFODJU[/asin]

Nice.  :) I generally like Vermeulen.

Q

milk

This has received a good review on Music Web. It looks interesting.