Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2013, 01:53:04 AM

This has received a good review on Music Web. It looks interesting.

Thanks for alerting us. They are potentially losing a lot of customers by not informing the fans of the 'periodness' of the performances, on the cover.

MusicWeb review
Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Quote from: Opus106 on October 04, 2013, 01:58:39 AM
Thanks for alerting us. They are potentially losing a lot of customers by not informing the fans of the 'periodness' of the performances, on the cover.

MusicWeb review
I was a bit confused by this. It seems that their previous recordings of Beethoven and Schubert are not period. I wonder why a group would jump into period recording when their previous recordings of the same period are modern. Anyway, I'm listening to the trio now. The other one I have is Immerseel/Bylsma/Beths. It's very different I think. Storioni seems more stately, understated and "classical" sounding. But also more angular. I'm trying to get over liking only what I'm used to and I'm very used to the Immerseel recording. I think I like Immerseel better. It's more "atmospheric" - both in the performance and recording sound. Immerseel is moodier and darker. This is maybe due to the fuller sound of Immerseel's fortepiano as well as Bylsma's prominence. But I want to get to the Triple. I'm not aware of any other period recording of the triple - actually (though I'm sure someone here will correct me).   

Wakefield

So far this orchestra and de Vries didn't use period instruments. But I don't know this disk.

I like this sentence of the review quoted by Navneeth: "Likewise the Netherlands Symphony Orchestra play on historically informed instruments".  :laugh:
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 04, 2013, 03:13:11 AM
So far this orchestra and de Vries didn't use period instruments. But I don't know this disk.

De Vriend leads the period ensemble Combattimento Consort Amsterdam, and I have listened to the broadcasts of some of their concerts; so we know at least the band leader has some experience in the matter of HIPPI.
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Quote from: Opus106 on October 04, 2013, 03:21:32 AM
De Vriend leads the period ensemble Combattimento Consort Amsterdam, and I have listened to the broadcasts of some of their concerts; so we know at least the band leader has some experience in the matter of HIPPI.

No doubt. He is excellent and very interested in historical performance practices. But not so much in period instruments, I think.

Anyway, it's a bit weird to write "historically informed instruments".  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wanderer

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2013, 01:53:04 AM

This has received a good review on Music Web. It looks interesting.

The "Archduke" Trio in this recording is merely average; however, the Triple Concerto is superb. The orchestra attacks with delicious vehemence (among the finest orchestral contributions to this concerto, ever) and the soloists are great.

Wakefield

"If" the information provided by the reviewer were right, this would be the second recording of the Triple Concerto played on period instruments available on CD.
-- Voltaire

milk

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 04, 2013, 03:13:11 AM

I like this sentence of the review quoted by Navneeth: "Likewise the Netherlands Symphony Orchestra play on historically informed instruments".  :laugh:
It's been a long week and I didn't read this carefully at all. I totally misread that phrase. I thought it was all period instruments. Well, this is a somewhat weird combination of recordings then.

North Star

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 04, 2013, 03:28:33 AM
No doubt. He is excellent and very interested in historical performance practices. But not so much in period instruments, I think.

Anyway, it's a bit weird to write "historically informed instruments".  :)
Hmm. It's certainly a hilarious thing to write. Could it mean that the instruments aren't necessarily original, and there are some new copies of the period instruments?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Quote from: North Star on October 04, 2013, 05:32:33 AM
Hmm. It's certainly a hilarious thing to write. Could it mean that the instruments aren't necessarily original, and there are some new copies of the period instruments?
Well, John Lennon said he could make a guitar speak, so...

Pat B

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2013, 02:28:17 AM
I'm not aware of any other period recording of the triple - actually (though I'm sure someone here will correct me).   
There is a version by Badura-Skoda and Bylsma with Collegium Aureum (whose leader Maier is the violinist). ASIN B000001TWP or B004QIVWYU. For a while it was going for $30+ dollars. I picked up a copy recently but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on October 04, 2013, 05:32:33 AM

No, I don't think so. Conventionally, people interested in period instruments comprehend into this expression (I mean the expression "period instruments") both originals and replicas.  :)
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 04, 2013, 08:23:25 PM
No, I don't think so. Conventionally, people interested in period instruments comprehend into this expression (I mean the expression "period instruments") both originals and replicas.  :)
Yes, that is what is usually used for replicas, too. As the orchestra is Netherlands SO, perhaps it's more likely that it just means that their playing is historically informed.  :-\

My photographs on Flickr

milk

I just noticed this:

...pending immanent release.

milk

There are some pretty good HIP recordings of these works already out there (and in my collection). So, I'm wondering if this recording is
revelatory. Some thing close to that will induce me to get it.

North Star

You can always sample it here - it might prove to be hazardous to your bank account, though.

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Quote from: North Star on January 23, 2014, 01:33:43 AM
You can always sample it here - it might prove to be hazardous to your bank account, though.
They do sound interesting.

milk

Quote from: milk on January 23, 2014, 01:22:49 AM

There are some pretty good HIP recordings of these works already out there (and in my collection). So, I'm wondering if this recording is
revelatory. Some thing close to that will induce me to get it.
Well, I'm very happy with this purchase. The sound quality is great. It's a very realistic, somewhat dry soundscape. I'm not equipped to give a musicological review of any sort. But these are very fresh, interesting and very intimate performances - definitely a different take on the music than Bilson/Bylsma or, perhaps, Zivian/Tomkins. They are thoughtful and, I think, they find something new to say in the period performance realm. I'm interested to hear what some of the musically literate folks here will have to say about the playing. I am guessing some folks here will want to hear these performances. 

milk

Jus downloaded this:
They use period instruments.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: milk on March 16, 2014, 04:30:50 PM
Jus downloaded this:
They use period instruments.

Now, that looks interesting. And we needed another Archduke/Ghost recording too! :D  But seriously, the players must balance that out, I don't know the pianist, but Faust and Queyras are tops. It would promote less confusion if they would have said 'pianoforte'. Otherwise I would have been scratching my head, since Faust and Queyras go both ways (so to speak). Thanks for heading that off. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)