Beethoven in Period Performances

Started by Que, April 07, 2007, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 20, 2007, 07:53:05 PM
Actually, they also paired up for Beethoven's Complete Sonatas for Pianoforte and Cello.   I like that recording very much, if not as much as Wispelwey's later recording of the same material with Dejan Lazic.  I haven't heard anything by Komen alone, but some of his fortepiano sonata recordings are available at Amazon now.   I haven't seen them reviewed anywhere, but I must admit they look very, very tasty.  Although the standard has been set very high by Ronald Brautigam, there aren't enough HIP Beethoven sonatas around so these are very welcome.  Btw, the website gives this information about the fortepiano he uses on the Last Sonatas: fortepiano by Conrad Graf, Vienna c. 1830 from the collection of Edwin Beunk, Enschede, the Netherlands.  He uses a different fortepiano for each of these recordings.  How much do you respect your friend's opinion?  Do you think it's worth taking the plunge on his word alone?  Perhaps Que know more about them... PAGING QUE...

I know Paul Komen only from his collaborations with Wispelwey in Beethoven and Brahms... 8)
I found him terrific in the Beethoven set BTW - I preferred the Bijlsma/ Van Immerseel mainly because of Bijlsma.

The Beethoven sonatas are still available and there are two additional volumes. Maybe we could assume a complete cycle will be issued?  I should investigate immediately!  ;D

Q

Click on pictures for samples.

Bunny

Well, I've just added these to my shopping list.  It will be nice to have something to compare the Brautigam to. :D

Que

Quote from: Bunny on April 21, 2007, 06:06:50 AM
Well, I've just added these to my shopping list.  It will be nice to have something to compare the Brautigam to. :D

And look what I found at Amazon.de! :)

Q

Que

This looks very tasty too! ;D
Anyone knows it?

Q

Bunny

lukeottevanger

This one came a couple of days ago

(complete Beethoven cello/fortepiano works - Pleeth/Tan)

Not sold 100% on Pleeth's cello - it seems fairly non-descript at times. But I haven't given the discs a fair trial yet, and, above all, I wasn't listening on very good equipment at the time, and would be only too happy to change my assessment. Of course, the last two sonatas are proper late Beethoven and as such ought to be as high profile as the late piano sonatas and quartets; they aren't such imposing works, I suppose, but they have a typically late-Beethoven vein of fantasy which is very special, and which responds well to the livelier timbres of the HIP approach - and it was here that I felt Pleeth and Tan scored very nicely. I'd like to hear Wispelwey in these pieces for comparison, though.

Bunny

Melvyn Tan played fortepiano on the Norrington Beethoven piano Concertos.  I haven't heard the Tan/Pleeth set but of the sets I have heard, Bijlsma is the reference for period performance with Wispelwey close behind.  Unfortunately it's hard to find the Bijlsma/Immerseel sonatas as Sony seems to have let them go out of print.  For modern instrument performance, again Wispelwey (with Dejan Lazic) probably has the best recording; I even like it better than Kempff and Fournier which is saying quite a bit.

premont

Quote from: Bunny on April 21, 2007, 06:06:50 AM

I own Komens 5 CDs with Sonates. I rate him higher than Brautigam, - he is more mellow and poetic than the often aggressive Brautigam. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: premont on April 22, 2007, 03:23:47 AM
I own Komens 5 CDs with Sonates. I rate him higher than Brautigam, - he is more mellow and poetic than the often aggressive Brautigam. 

Thanks for this info, it makes me all the more eager to hear Brautigam.

premont

Quote from: George on April 22, 2007, 06:57:40 AM
Thanks for this info, it makes me all the more eager to hear Brautigam.

Both are very rewarding, and of course I intend to collect the complete Brautigam cycle in time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: premont on April 22, 2007, 03:23:47 AM

Premont, that's excellent news!
Good to hear Komen's Beethoven is worthwhile to check out - I'll do so immediately..  :)

Q

George

Quote from: Que on April 22, 2007, 09:01:05 AM
Premont, that's excellent news!
Good to hear Komen's Beethoven is worthwhile to check out - I'll do so immediately..  :)

Q

they are each on itunes for easy and decent sampling. For some reason, the Cd's are only $7.99.  :o

hautbois

If you like excitement, Beethoven, and a lot of farting horns ;D, this will knock you off!

Que

Quote from: hautbois on April 23, 2007, 09:28:59 AM
If you like excitement, Beethoven, and a lot of farting horns ;D, this will knock you off!

Excellent! ;D

Q

Haffner

Quote from: hautbois on April 23, 2007, 09:28:59 AM

All of those are what I live for.

Sungam

Will someone tell me what the hell HIP Beethoven, or HIP Mozart means?

George

Quote from: Sungam on April 23, 2007, 02:35:18 PM
Will someone tell me what the hell HIP Beethoven, or HIP Mozart means?

Historically Informed Performance, I believe.

If you wanna know what that means, it means that the performances are performed strictly in the style of the time it was written and performed on instruments either made during that time or very, very closely resembling the ones of that time.

How'd I do, Que?  ;D

BorisG

Though not my preference, the Hanford Band has the most HIP memories for me. I thought their Eroica absolutely stunning.

Scott

Quote from: Bunny on April 09, 2007, 09:38:50 AM
I think that for Beethoven sq you will have to wait for the Quatuor MosaÏques to finish their cycle.  Their Beethoven is as wonderful as their Haydn.

And another volume to be released later this month!

I've just reviewed the last of the Op. 18 set here: http://snipurl.com/1k8g6   There are links within that review to my reviews of the earlier two releases. I agree that they are superb.

Scott Morrison
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

George