Author Topic: Alan Hovhaness — Where to begin?  (Read 41746 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
Re: Alan Hovhaness — Where to begin?
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »
I have to say I keep coming back to Hovhaness even after saying I dislike this or that about his music --- it has this strange hold over me. While I do believe he recycles the same compositional techniques and methods in many of his works, I still enjoy so much of his music. It does have staying power, IMHO. I kind of look at Hovhaness as having much in common aesthetically with Lou Harrison sans the Armenian influence of course. Does anyone else hear the same thing? I also detect a little bit of Colin McPhee in Hovhaness as well.
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2020, 08:32:27 PM »
I have to say I keep coming back to Hovhaness even after saying I dislike this or that about his music --- it has this strange hold over me. While I do believe he recycles the same compositional techniques and methods in many of his works, I still enjoy so much of his music. It does have staying power, IMHO. I kind of look at Hovhaness as having much in common aesthetically with Lou Harrison sans the Armenian influence of course. Does anyone else hear the same thing? I also detect a little bit of Colin McPhee in Hovhaness as well.
Yes, I do agree John about the Lou Harrison comparison and they feature together on a nice CD I have which includes both of their second symphonies and which I've been playing recently. I think that VW was an influence as well, especially the Tallis Fantasia, which I think we can hear in the 'Mysterious Mountain' symphony for example. Like the new avatar  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2020, 04:32:17 AM »
Agreed that Hovhaness stays the course!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2020, 04:36:13 AM »
Yes, I do agree John about the Lou Harrison comparison and they feature together on a nice CD I have which includes both of their second symphonies and which I've been playing recently. I think that VW was an influence as well, especially the Tallis Fantasia, which I think we can hear in the 'Mysterious Mountain' symphony for example. Like the new avatar  :)

Thanks, Jeffrey. That Hovhaness/Harrison recording is excellent. Yep, RVW was definitely an influence or, at least, I can detect it, I’d also say that Sibelius was a huge influence as he met the composer and had a 30 year correspondence with him, which I found to be fascinating. I’d love to read some of those letters. Anyway, the work Lousadzak actually landed the composer into some hot water. It was a praised by Lou Harrison, but it caused a mini-riot during intermission at its premiere from what I’ve read. Nobody had really heard anything like this before in Boston, so it was a bit of a shock to the system.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:32:36 AM by Mirror Image »
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2020, 09:57:14 AM »
Agreed that Hovhaness stays the course!

It appears his music has got under your skin as well, Karl. 8)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »
Okay...I’m back to Shostakovich. ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2020, 11:04:03 PM »
Okay...I’m back to Shostakovich. ;D
Poor Hovhaness and I'm sure that Honegger is displeased as well  ;D

Interesting about the Hovhaness/Sibelius correspondence of which I was completely unaware - I agree with you that Sibelius was an influence John.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2020, 10:36:22 AM »
Poor Hovhaness and I'm sure that Honegger is displeased as well  ;D

Interesting about the Hovhaness/Sibelius correspondence of which I was completely unaware - I agree with you that Sibelius was an influence John.

Yeah, I had to sack Hovhaness. He was getting on my nerves. ;)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »
Yeah, I had to sack Hovhaness. He was getting on my nerves. ;)

Saturation does not serve Hovhaness well.   :(
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
Saturation does not serve Hovhaness well.   :(

Indeed, not. A little bit goes a long way --- I agree.