Robert Simpson(1921-1997)

Started by Dundonnell, March 25, 2008, 02:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Strictly speaking, Hyperion's new overlords have given the nod.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 01, 2023, 05:52:18 AMStrictly speaking, Hyperion's new overlords have given the nod.

Who are their new overlords?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

News from the Robert Simpson Society: the first of two disks of unrecorded works from Toccata will be appearing in April or May next year. It will contain the Clarinet Trio, the String Quartet '0' from the 1940s (which Simpson submitted as part of the requirements for a BMus), and the original version of the 2 Clarinet Quintet (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet and 3 Double Basses (sic)). This disk was to have appeared this year but the recording of the last work had to be postponed twice (the recording of this work is actually happening today!).

Recordings for the second disk will start once the first disk is issued. The works on this disk will be the Brass Quintet, the Sonata for Two Pianos and Simpson's arrangement of Nielsen's Commotio for two pianos.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Maestro267

We now have more of the Hyperion cycle of String Quartets on streaming services, including the epic Ninth Quartet. All quartets except 14 & 15, along with their respective couplings (String Trio, two String Quintets) are up now.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 20, 2023, 08:27:24 AMWe now have more of the Hyperion cycle of String Quartets on streaming services, including the epic Ninth Quartet. All quartets except 14 & 15, along with their respective couplings (String Trio, two String Quintets) are up now.

Simpson's SQs are every bit as worthwhile as his symphonies, IMO. I was kindly gifted them earlier in the year by one of our finest members, and I recommend them to the curious now they can be streamed!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Maestro267

And now most of the symphonies are available, all except No. 11.

DavidW

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 29, 2024, 06:07:28 AMAnd now most of the symphonies are available, all except No. 11.

Fantastic, finally!  I have them all at home but at work I rely on streaming.

krummholz

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 29, 2024, 06:07:28 AMAnd now most of the symphonies are available, all except No. 11.

#11 on Hyperion (I think) is out of print already?? What a shame!

springrite

Quote from: krummholz on February 08, 2024, 08:01:47 AM#11 on Hyperion (I think) is out of print already?? What a shame!
I have just the 10th missing from my set, but the 9th was borrowed by someone I forgot... and never returned. Now I see even the ones I already have are going out of print... What a shame...

The best thing on the 11th is the Nielsen Variations.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

lunar22

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 22, 2023, 03:30:07 PMSimpson's SQs are every bit as worthwhile as his symphonies, IMO

more so in my book. The best of the chamber music is more human and less "cosmic", for want of a better word, somehow. I have a particular soft spot for the quintet for clarinet, bass clarinet and string trio which directly inspired my own work for that combination.

DavidW

Quote from: krummholz on February 08, 2024, 08:01:47 AM#11 on Hyperion (I think) is out of print already?? What a shame!

He means to stream (as in not here yet, not it was pulled or never coming).  You can still buy the cd.

Maestro267

Yeah, a lot like the quartet cycle, the only disc missing from streaming is the "last" volume in each instance. Maybe others too but of the quartets and symphony cycles that is the case.

krummholz

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2024, 08:54:30 AMHe means to stream (as in not here yet, not it was pulled or never coming).  You can still buy the cd.

Glad to hear it's still available on CD.