The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Havergal Brian.

(1/1614) > >>

Harry:
My first dip into this composer on a Naxos disc, Violin Concerto, and 18th Symphony, makes me eager for more.
So I looked on the JPC site, and found a recording of his third Symphony, and ordered that. The other Naxos recordings under Lenard I am suspect about, but if someone who knows them says oke, I am willing to explore, but there is rather a great amount of singing and sopranos, so better not.
I am eager to hear about other recordings around, to build up a collection of Brian.
Anyone willing to guide me? :)

The ones below are the ones I have, well almost, ordered the Helios today.

lukeottevanger:
There's quite a collection of Brian fans here - in fact, a motley crew of ex-HB Society members, of whom I am one. No time for a longer list right now, but that Helios disc is a winner. For a single rec. I'd urge you most strongly to get the EMI twofer that includes, among other things, Brian's 7-9th Symphonies, all among his finest pieces; the 8th, though, is something else: one of my very favourite of all 20th century symphonies, utterly original, concise and powerful

As for the infamous Gothic - yes, it has choirs a plenty, of course, and the odd nice bit of solo soprano vocalise, but don't let that put you off. The first three movements are like a large-scale purely orchestral late Romantic symphony in themselves, fascinating in their mainly dark, brooding moods lit by odd rays of weird sunshine, the whole certain to grab the listener strongly by the throat. Indeed, you have the composer's license to stop listening at that point if you really can't stomach the vocal stuff to follow, where the mammoth forces really kick in.

Edit - Harry, I know it was a slip of the finger, but change the name in the thread title from Havergail to Havergal! :)

springrite:
Brian's most famous work, and the one work that Brian fans consider to be a great masterpiece, is his symphony #1, known as Gothic. As a big fan of much of Brian's music, I must admit I hear nothing in that work whatsoever. Maybe it is my loss. But anyway, the other symphonies I have heard (around 8 or 10 of them) are all uneven within each work but overall very very good. I personally would not hesitate to get more. At least this guy is not boring (something English composers of the same period has often been accused of), with moments of wonder in many of his works and the occasional touch of genius.

Get what you can. He certainly deserves far more attention than many of the composers no one has ever heard of in you huge collecion!

Harry:

--- Quote from: lukeottevanger on June 09, 2007, 04:16:31 AM ---There's quite a collection of Brian fans here - in fact, a motley crew of ex-HB Society members, of whom I am one. No time for a longer list right now, but that Helios disc is a winner. For a single rec. I'd urge you most strongly to get the EMI twofer that includes, among other things, Brian's 7-9th Symphonies, all among his finest pieces; the 8th, though, is something else: one of my very favourite of all 20th century symphonies, utterly original, concise and powerful

As for the infamous Gothic - yes, it has choirs a plenty, of course, and the odd nice bit of solo soprano vocalise, but don't let that put you off. The first three movements are like a large-scale purely orchestral late Romantic symphony in themselves, fascinating in their mainly dark, brooding moods lit by odd rays of weird sunshine, the whole certain to grab the listener strongly by the throat. Indeed, you have the composer's license to stop listening at that point if you really can't stomach the vocal stuff to follow, where the mammoth forces really kick in.

Edit - Harry, I know it was a slip of the finger, but change the name in the thread title from Havergail to Havergal! :)

--- End quote ---

Blimey, yes saw that, and corrected it. :-[
Will incorperate the EMI recordings, also the advice of Sarge! :)

Harry:

--- Quote from: springrite on June 09, 2007, 04:19:09 AM ---
Get what you can. He certainly deserves far more attention than many of the composers no one has ever heard of in you huge collecion!

--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version